Ruger Mark III vs. Walther P22

bennnn

As an owner of both, with several thousand rounds through each, I can say this...

Both have a distinct place in the world, the P22 is a plinking, casual fun shooters type of pistol, and The Ruger Mark III is a target pistol, that can be used as a plinker if you want to.

You will never generate the level of accuracy with a P22 that you potentially can with the Mark III, but if all you expect of it is hitting objects for fun and practice, you won't be dissappointed.

As stated above, P22's are picky with ammo, and my wife won't shoot it because it throws the brass out the top, and all over the place, (which has led to some interesting brass burns on the ta-ta's down the front of certian tank tops,,, )

Just to be a smart ass a few years ago I put 4,000 rounds through our P22 without doing anything but spraying CLP in it before every range trip, and the worst that happened was all ammo related. I'm one of the people who got a good one, and I love it for what it is.

Now, my wife and I are also really into target shooting together, and when it comes to that, the P22 stays home.

So, I say this, Just get both.

You will always need more guns anyway, right?

And now it's pic time, just because I can,, lol

Ruger Mark III stainless fluted Hunter model
hunter.jpg

Ruger Mark III Competition model
000_0382.jpg

Last edited:

Logs

Vote for Ruger

I like the Ruger myself. You can thread the barrel for a muzzle break and even strap on a Weapons Light.

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

bennnn

I can hit the bottom of a gallon jug (water jug laying on its side) at 45 yrds very consistently. Or a playing card at 30yrds. Turn it sideways at about 10 yrds & I can cut it in half!

Oh, wait. I didn't realize Ed Mcgivern was posting here.

Maybe you don't need a Ruger after all.

chris in va

I vote for the P22. Had two of the Ruger 22/45's and really didn't warm up to either one. They were top heavy with the polymer frame, large for the caliber and generally...boring.

My friend bought a p22 a couple years ago and we had a LOT of fun with that little gun. Fit my hand much better.

I went a different direction and bought a Kadet kit for my CZ 75. Beats both of them IMO, mainly because I get to take advantage of the fantastic ergos of the gun and still plink with 22 ammo.

Buzzcook

The Ruger comes in many different flavors. From simple plinker to sci-fi target gun. You should be able to find one that fits your fancy.

There is a some problems learning to put it back together, but youtube will help you there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPN87hRgbE
That's just one of many videos on field stripping the Ruger.

bennnn

I actually think a P22 is a lot more of a pain in the ass to take apart the a Mark III.

Maybe I mean a lot more of a pain in the ass to put back together... Hmmmm.

pinetree

I have a MKII 7.5" Govt Model and a P22. Two totally different guns. The P22 is fun, easy to carry and accurate enough. The MkII is a tank - built to last. Accuracy is amazing. For plinking cans and general fun, P22 is great. Th MKII, is the gun you want in your BOB when shtf for putting meat in the pot.

I would get the MKIII first.

booker_t

Another vote for Ruger, I shoot a Mark III bull-barrel version and it's great. Mags are cheap, so pick up a couple more. It comes with 2.

While I do shoot 1911s, I prefer to practice 1911 shooting with a 1911. I also shoot a Glock 20, and the grip-angle of the Mark III is somewhat close, even though it's a much smaller grip. Regardless, I feel as though it helps me reinforce my supporting hand grip angle. If you want the 22/45 version I would suggest shooting one at the range first to be sure.

It's shot everything I'd put in it, although I did have a couple extraction failures with some cheap no-name ammo a friend of mine brought to the range one time. Typically I'll plink with the Winchester 555 boxes or CCI Mini-Mags. My log is at home, but I'd guess something like 8,500 flawless rounds through the Mark III so far. (*not counting a handful of duds, attributed to the ammunition not the gun)

Decent trigger, mine came with a serrated face which I'm not thrilled about but it's not bad. I put some white acrylic on the front sight blade to make it more visible, sometimes for me it gets lost, then again my local indoor range is pretty dim, so your mileage may vary in that area. And agree with above posters, the Ruger is far more accurate. If you want a live-fire method of practicing breath and trigger control for when you do shoot your larger calibers, I can't think of a more economical way to do it.

Once you get it, check out YouTube videos on stripping and putting it back together. Some people get it first time, others it'll take an hour or more the first few times. After a few runs it'll be easy, some are built tighter than others. But honestly, I've only taken the receiver/barrel off mine once, and there was no point in doing so. You can clean it perfectly well with the upper on the frame. Even then it can run dirty and doesn't require meticulous cleaning unless you want to keep it pristine.

Last edited:
I had a P22. I was VERY happy with it. I bought a MK II. I stopped shooting the P22 and sold it to a buddy who was just getting in to shooting. He loved it. his wife loved it.

Th MK II is a much more ?serious? pistol.
The P22 is loads of fun and would be better practice for most centerfire pistols.