Ruger Mark III vs. Walther P22

LockedBreech

The time has come to get a fun plinking pistol. My .40 and .380 bullets are too expensive to throw downrange in large numbers, and .22 is a caliber I sorely miss shooting. I have found two .22 pistols I really like, the ones in the title of the post. Which of these is the general consensus best, and is there any other in the range of 200-350 that I am overlooking?

-L.S.

pilpens

Ruger MK vs Walther P22 --- Hands down, Ruger MK series pistol.
I have several .22 pistols (Ruger MKII slabside and bull, Browning Buckmarks).

If I were to get one now and have only one, I would look at the target model. It has the long semi-heavy contoured barrel and pinned front sight. It is cheaper than the slabside, bull, or hunter models but has the length and barrel weight for all day shooting.

Dashunde

For the past 6+ years (and many thousands of rounds) my little P22 has been flawless and reasonably accurate for its type and size.
Its lightweight and lots of fun and even has a descent DA/SA trigger.
It shoots fast with little flip and makes a great plinking gun, I also think it points very very well.

I dont like the grip angle on the Ruger.
But it is higher quality than the P22.

Last edited:

JerseyDrez

It depends what you want the pistol for.

If youre looking to just blast away at the range and not shoot more than 15yds, the P22 is the way to go. With a 3in barrel, its not that accurate past 10yds...I have one and Ive prob put more about 5k rds thru it and I love it, I consider it more of a 'fun gun'.

If youd rather shoot out to 20yds, possibly 25, and want pinpoint accuracy, that is where the MK series shines. I first shot one in my Pistol I class 3 yrs ago, and it was really really accurate, even for being the first pistol Ive ever shot. Yet I just cant stomache the design or look of it.

Also checkout the Buckmarks. If I were to get another .22 pistol, Id get a Buckmark with the 7-1/4in bull or fluted barrel in all black...damn that thing is nice! And also super accurate.

aarondhgraham

Absolutely go for the Ruger,,,

The P-22 is a truly fun gun to shoot,,,
Very Tacti-Kewl in all aspects,,,
But it's ammo picky.

I have two friends who own them,,,
If they don't shoot Mini-Mags,,,
They jam a lot.

My Ruger 22/45 eats anything cheap to expensive,,,
I can't recall the last time it jammed up,,,
And I'll typically shoot 250 rounds.

Any Mk II or Mk III will serve you very well.

KMO

+1 for Ruger Mark

I understand that Walther is trying to carve out some market share, so they might have a nice pistol to offer in that P22. I can't really comment on it first-hand, since I haven't shot one. I can tell you that I've been extremely impressed with my Mark III Hunter. I never thought I would invest $400+ in a .22LR pistol, but I'm happy I did. Right out of the box it was a dead eye. Aside from adding a quick-detach red dot sight and some rubber grips (saving the pretty wood grips for special occasions), I don't plan to modify it at all - don't want to mess it up! Oh, you might hear what a royal pain the Mark pistols are to field strip. Don't be swayed by that. Once you've done it once, you'll be good to go. Get the Ruger IMO...;)

"JJ"

I have only shot the P22, so my vote is for it. When I made my purchase, I looked at the Ruger. I just didn't like the look or feel. I couldn't be more pleased with my P22! As far as range, I can hit the bottom of a gallon jug (water jug laying on its side) at 45 yrds very consistently. Or a playing card at 30yrds. Turn it sideways at about 10 yrds & I can cut it in half! I think it is all in what you practice with. One of the things I like about the P22 is the controls. It is very similar to a centerfire pistol. I have never shot the Ruger. It is similar as well? I can't take anything away from the Ruger. Its a reliable accurate gun! I don't know that you can go wrong with either! ~"JJ"

rickyjames

the p-22 is a fun little plinking pistol. it is reasonably accurate and reasonably reliable. it would not be my first choice as a target or hunting pistol but is a great little plinking or trail gun.

the ruger is time proven. it's accuracy is remarkable as is its reliability. it can do anything the p-22 can do and much more. it would be a top choice as a serious target and hunting pistol you can use or grow into. it's also a great plinker. it is larger and heavier than the p-22 but not so much you should notice while hiking or hunting.

cw_mi

Hands down the Ruger. I've got a 22/45 and had a P22. The comparison wasn't even close. The Walther felt kind of cheap , it worked fine just didn't compare to the Ruger. Steel vs plastic...

MOREAMMO

I am with the Ruger. While not in your price stated my MKIII Hunter is probably my favorite pistol I own and to shoot. I enjoy the Ruger's aftermarket goodies even though they are fine without. I had a MKIII 22/45 which was a great pistol, but liked the steel frame better. I don't think you could go wrong with a Buckmark either. Something that is in the price range you mentioned is the S&W 22A. I don't have any experience with them, but they seem to get better reviews than the Walther.

Pahoo

First off, have to admit that I am not all that familiar with the P-22. However, I am very familiar with the Ruger MK-Family and have had or have a few. In you price range, I might suggest a used MK-II and even an MK-I, although I understand they are getting harder to find. All are great shooters and would provide many years of service.

Be Safe !!!

Cheapshooter

Ruger by all means. Another alternative to the Ruger would be a Browning Buckmark. I do own and enjoy a Walther P22. It's function is more like my carry handguns and is a lot of fun to shoot but the all steel construction of the Ruger is far superior to the polymer/Zamak of some of the less expensive rimfires like the P22, Chiappa, ISSC, and Sig Mosquito.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Like which is better, a Chevy pickup truck or a Ford Focus? The Walther is a nice little plinking pistol and will do (within its caliber limitations) as a pocket gun for self defense. The Ruger is a full size target/plinking pistol for holster carry in the woods and general fun shooting. There is a place for each, but not the same place.

Jim