Ruger LCR.......got one.........

rantingredneck

I do like the way the front sight interchanges on the LCR vs. the SP101.

It's a hood type arrangement that sits on a stud that is made into the frame and then is roll pinned through the stud. Vs. the SP101 that has a blade that sits into a notch in the barrel. I'd imagine in the case of the LCR you wouldn't have to break out a drill to do a night sight upgrade like you do on the SP.

hoytinak

Dang I'm jealous....I don't think they're ugly at all. Actually I'm glad you picked it up though, cause yesterday I kept looking at his ad for it on the other forum. Let us know how she shoots. ;)

Oh BTW: there's several on GB right now too, from $700-1500. :eek:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Interesting. I don't think I'd realized just how high the back of the grip comes up compared to a more conventional revolver. That puts the bore axis a good bit lower, relative to the hand, than any other .38 revolver I'm aware of.

rantingredneck

That puts the bore axis a good bit lower, relative to the hand, than any other .38 revolver I'm aware of.

Indeed it does.........

Actually I'm glad you picked it up though, cause yesterday I kept looking at his ad for it on the other forum. Let us know how she shoots.

Well after you PM'd me back saying you wouldn't be able to pick it up I looked at it and looked at it some more. I talked to SWMBO. I talked to her some more. She talked to me some........:eek:. We came to a compromise :D.

I now have a shotgun listed for sale in the other forum........:(

rantingredneck

re: the grip.....

If I overlay the LCR on top of the SP101 the dimensions of the grip are the same. The only difference is, like John pointed out, you get your hand up higher on the backstrap of the LCR. Means a little less pinky on the frontstrap, but more of the meat of your hand behind the gun.

That may/should translate into less perceived recoil and less muzzleflip.

Creature

Did you think mine would be more attractive than the others that have been splashed all over the internet for the last couple months?

Or did you ask for pics just so you could express your aesthetic opinion?

Nope. Just confirming my suspicions that the marketing pics werent actually showing the true ugliness for which Ruger is responsible. It really is as butt-ugly as I thought it was.

Singlesix1954

It's good to see someone got one. I'll be watching for the range report. Like to see a baged down 50yd target with a cylider of ammo dispenced. Any way congrats and have fun.

jamstutz

Ever since I bought my first Glock my attitude regarding handgun aesthetics has been "Who cares how it looks as long as it works?" Granted , the LCR is new--it has no track record--but if it ends up being durable and reliable and does the job, I don't care if it looks worse than a monkey's arse...

Kreyzhorse

Curious Ranting, how is the polymer section of the gun attached to the metal portion of the gun? Almost looks like a pop rivet in the picture but I'm sure that isn't the case. I'm guessing those rivety type things are more for show but hard to tell just looking at pictures

Can't wait for your range report.

lee n. field

1) It's bigger dimensionally than I was expecting. Compared to my 2.25" SP101 it's about the same size minus just a bit of length due to barrel length difference. Height wise it's the same. Grip is the same length but feels shorter due to the larger trigger guard on the LCR. Still very comfortable in my big paws though.

Pocketable?

JohnKSa

Administrator
Curious Ranting, how is the polymer section of the gun attached to the metal portion of the gun?
Allen screws.
Are all the LCR's double action only?
The hammer is completely concealed within the grip frame. It MIGHT be possible to cock the hammer and shoot it single action but no one will ever know... :D

rantingredneck

Allen screws.

Yep, two of them. But I think they are torx screws. Look like it anyway. The screw at the top of the grip frame near the rear sight and another that at the front that doubles as a crane pivot and a screw that holds the whole works together.

The pin that you see on the right hand side of the gun near the grip is actually the hammer pivot pin. According to the manual every 1K rounds or 1K dryfires you should push that pin slightly inward and drop 2-3 drops of oil into the works. Don't push the pin all the way through or "the gun will cease to function".

The manual also recommends checking the tightness of the screws each 1K rounds. 23-27 lb/in for the front crane screw and 6-9 lb/in for the fire control housing retaining screw.

rantingredneck

Pocketable?

It's pocketable, without the massive weight of the SP101. It does have the same or very similar dimensions, however.

I am not a big fan of revolvers in the pocket. I always feel like people are looking at me thinking "Is that a J-frame in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?". I'm not the best judge of whether this gun is suitable for pocket carry. I'll probably pick up a cheap pocket holster for it (nemesis or the like) for summer and cargo shorts, but in jeans or regular khakis I don't think I could pull it off.

Thats why I have the LCP........:D.

B.N.Real

That Ruger is quite possibly the UGLYEST revolver ever made.

I can't wait to get my hands on one.:D

Congrats on getting one so soon.

JohnKSa

Administrator
But I think they are torx screws.
Yes, that could very well be, I was basing my response on several photos I had seen and they weren't clear enough to determine the difference between allen & torx. Allen screws have a hexagonally shaped depression in the screwhead, torx is sort of a funny star-shaped depression.