Ruger LCP

meanmachine1961

With an LCP there is never an excuse not to carry. By far the easiest to conceal gun that I have ever owned. I believe I paid 299.00 for mine.

BrittB

I have a LC9 and want a LCP as a BUG. I was looking at one the other day and comparing it to a Kel-Tec and they were very close in size and feel. Did Ruger copy Kel-Tec because I know the Kel-Tec has been on the market longer.

9mm

Did Ruger copy Kel-Tec because I know the Kel-Tec has been on the market longer.

Believe so, some guy did a video wit hthe Kel-Tec 380 Ruger 380 and they are like the same.

I like the Ruger, the grip is nicer, the Kel-Tec looks like junk pot plastic stuff.

Mrgunsngear

I have one and after the first 100 rounds, mine has been 100% reliable. I put a crimson trace laser on it because the sights coupled with a terribly long trigger make the gun difficult to shoot beyond 7 meters. Yes, I can slowly fire it pretty accurately, but as a defensive gun it will be employed in rapid fire and I think the laser is a great tool for that type of gun. I also have the Bodyguard 380 and in my opinion, it's a better gun all around. It has a better trigger, better sights, and is almost the same size.

Bottom line---it's a good concealed carry gun and you won't go wrong if you purchase it. $720 though; ouch.

Cheapshooter

I also have the Bodyguard 380 and in my opinion, it's a better gun all around. It has a better trigger, better sights, and is almost the same size.

Bottom line---it's a good concealed carry gun and you won't go wrong if you purchase it. $720 though; ouch.

And if you mean the Bodyguard is the better of the two, it's probably $900 US over there!

orionengnr

I am pretty impressed with mine.
I owned two KT P3ATs, neither of which worked very well at all (and that's a bit of an understatement).
I ran 150 rounds of varying FMJ and JHP through my first LCP without any problems. It was a 370 series, subject to the recall--I sent it in around Thanksgiving 2008.

While it was gone, I had a chance to buy a 371 series (not subject to the recall) for $269 (about what I had paid for the early one). I ran 150 trouble free rounds through it as well.

My 370 series was back less than 10 days later, with a free mag and a hat..and after another 150 trouble free rounds, I sold the 371 to a friend who has put a large number of rounds through it and carries it nearly every day.

I only carry mine on special occasions (when I absolutely cannot carry anything bigger), but I put 25-50 rounds through it a couple times per year.

My bottom line--if I am going to carry a .380 (which I'd rather not) it will be the LCP.

tristar viper

I shot a number of these little 380's before I bought something. The LCP is the most disgusting little gun I ever shot. I ended up with the Taurus TCP and it is more comfortable to hold, has far better fit and finish, has a far better trigger and is not painful or difficult to shoot, and at least in my hand is far more accurate than the LCP. I proved that with a little "shoot off" that a buddy of mine wanted to have with his LCP at 20 feet. Not only that, but my Taurus has almost 500 trouble free rounds through it now, and I'm actually going to buy another one solely for my car. It's less money than the LCP too.
And I have to agree, the Bodyguard is a darn nice little gun. May very well have bought it but I don't want the laser and wasn't about to pay for something I don't need or want.

EdInk

I have been pleased with mine. It's a good little pocket pistol.

The mark-up, taxes, etc make the prices absurd. What are the laws like regarding buying (or trading for) a firearm abroad and having it shipped into the country?

If they aren't too bad, perhaps we could work out a deal. Maybe 500 Glocks for a Paramount Marauder truck? You could sell the Glocks for a "bargain price" $1000 USD each and still end up ahead. What do you say? (j/k):D

Hardcase

Sorry to hear that the prices over there are so outrageous.

I've had no problems with my LCP that I bought about a year and a half ago. I've shot maybe 700 rounds of mostly reloaded FMJ and had no problems of any kind.

Originally, I bought it for my wife, but she just could not shoot it. It was very snappy and would somehow "bite" her hand between her thumb and forefinger. We just couldn't find a way for her to comfortably shoot it, so she went back to her .357 :rolleyes: and I took the LCP. I've got big hands, but with that little magazine extension that it came with, I can grip it with just my pinky finger hanging off (it's very hoity toity, you know...)

I also was surprised at its accuracy, given the rudimentary sights. It's also fairly easy to just point and shoot at close range and keep it on target. Obviously, it's a .380, so the whole question of whether or not it'll do the job comes up, but I figure that it's a better choice than throwing rocks.

Normally I carry a .45, but there are situations where that just isn't possible. The LCP and a pocket holster work with anything short of a Speedo and I figure that if I'm wearing a Speedo, I probably deserve whatever happens to me.

Amin Parker

Hi guys,

The reason guns are so expensive is because only one distribution contract is awarded by the manufacturers for the entire country. This leads to a monopoly and we all know what happens then.

I have thought about importing. I have a dealer that will happily accept orders from overseas. The funny thing is that you guys can actually buy at retail prices, export them to South Africa and i will still be able to easily undercut the distributor. I think the import tax amounts to 100%.

If anyone thinks of an opportunity, pm me. We can talk :)

BrittB

I went to the LGS today and looked at the LCR next to the Kel-Tec. The LCP looks to me to be a lot better overall as far as fit and finish go. The LCP feels better in my hand too as well as being able to lock the slide in the open position. Can't do that with the Kel-Tec! Physically, they are the same size and close in weight. The $20-$30 price difference is clearly there and I would buy the LCP.

Vermonter

I carry this every day everywhere all the time

This gun has probably 1500 rounds maybe more through it. I have had zero failures. I have shot it very accuratly while moving and from various positions. I cannot say enough about this gun. I just purchased a ruger lc9 today and that will replace this gun as a primary carry gun. After all i will take 8 rounds of 9 mm over seven of 380. What are your carry laws lime over there?

checkmyswag

I agree it's probably a very safe pistol (as almost any are if we use our senses), just saying for me to buy, would need a safety, but people seem to love them and I liked them.

Fit the hand decent considering it's size.

Don't worry about the small (almost nonexistant sights), don't need them much at point shooting range.

Very lightweight.

It's a Ruger. I DO think Ruger's are great.

If you're looking for this type of pistol, definitely consider this one.

RamItOne

Not to go too far off topic, but how much is ammo over there? Say for 9mm or .40 S&W
It's one thing if it costs a small fortune to have a nice collection but then to go broke in order to shoot them.

KyJim

The LCP is small and light weight. It is what I carry when I don't want to carry a gun or when dress doesn't allow anything else (shorts with elastic waistband). For up close and personal, it will do the job.

On the downside, the trigger pull is long and somewhat heavy. That, combined with the light weight, makes it difficult for me to shoot well. I shoot my Sig P238 (and the Colt Mustang I used to carry) better but they are a bit heavier. The Beretta 950 is smaller but heavier and doesn't pack quite the same punch. All in all, I give the LCP a thumbs up.

MouseGun_Group_DSCN1475.jpg