Ruger LCP and best ammo

Kreyzhorse

What's the secret?

Get smaller hands.

Mine has ran perfect but the gun is a bit of a challenge to shoot. Small gun, big hands and recoil make the gun want to torque in hand a little.

Not a big deal though but I do have to be careful that I don't pull on the magazine if I hold it with 2.5 fingers.

KyJim

My personal preference for carry anno is Speer Gold Dot.
But any modern defense ammo will serve you well.
I have to disagree with both statements in .380 ammo.

A fellow that goes by the handle ShootingTheBull410 tested a large variety of .380 ammo from a very short barrel into bare gelatin and into gelatin covered by four layers of 16 oz denim (IWBA protocols). His "final wrap up" is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts. He basically recommended four loads using Hornady XTP bullets and the Federal 90 gr. Hydra-Shok. My LCP has had no issues with the Hydra-Shoks I have fed it. I have not tried rounds with XTP bullets.

He subsequently tested a few more loads and was really impressed with the Lehigh Defense round. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxBHHxeGbjk. That round uses an unconventional bullet that doesn't expand but supposedly causes tissue damage because of its unconventional shape. I personally would not trust this round (any more than a full metal jacket design) until there is some real world experience out there.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
.380 SD Ammo

Lots of TFL members seem to well served by Hornady CD,Speer Gold Dots,& Hydra Shoks for SD.LCP's seem very reliable with most FMJ if clean and fresh.:D

98 220 swift

I have two a early model one and a just bought custom model for the wife. Both have been extremely reliable. Both have never had a problem with factory ammo. Fed everything. The older model has had a few problems with my reloads from time to time.(still 99% reliable with those). I use berrys 100gr bullets for those. And my loads are fairly light which is almost certainly the cause. This is the reason I own 2 of these. Ultra reliable.

Linegrind

I personally like the Lehigh Defense xtreme defender the best. The gel results I've seen show it having 16-18" of penetrations and a consistent 2' X shaped wound channel. If it fed reliably in your gun I'd suggest it over any fmj. If you would want to go with a JHP then I'd probably stick to Federals Hydroshocks because you can find them everywhere. A little pricey for a dated design IMO but availability can be a huge factor. I hear the LCP's are wonderfully reliable and aren't to horrible to shoot. Congrats on the gun.

K_Mac

I've used a wide variety in both factory hollow point carry and fmj target ammo. It has all worked well. Right now I have Hornady xtp in one mag, and Golden Saber in another. I may load Gold Dot next time. Those three are readily available, expand and penetrate adequately, and are cheap enough to practice with occasionally.

For the record, mine is a first generation model. With a Houge grip it is a good little pistol that shoots well and disappears inside a pocket or IWB. It is OK without the added grip, but it is far easier to control with it and much more comfortable to shoot.

stagpanther

Mine is a first generation and it runs any ammo you can put through it. Never had a hiccup.
I carried one for years and have to say mine never failed to fire anything either--including some strange home-brews : )
I was about to start working on a barnes xpb as a primary defense load for that gun load when I sold it.

Wishoot

Just got my 1st generation back in working order (needed mag springs, of all things...). I just had it to the range and it ate 50 rounds of Geco ammo with gusto.

In the past, I've loaded it with Underwoods 100gr flat nose hard cast or Fiocchi XTP's. I will carry the LCP with one of those options should it prove itself reliable again.

FITASC

Thanks for all of the tips and hints.
FINALLY made it to the indoor range. Had some Federal 95FMJ and a leftover (old) box of WW 95fmj.

Couldn't hit squat without being 12" low; near the end, I shifted my trigger finger from using the middle pad to using the fingertip pad and VOILA! Groups were a lot closer to POA and a lot smaller. About 75 rounds and every one of them functioned flawlessly.
Bought 4 boxes of different brands from TargetSportsUSA.com so we'll see if any of the others performs as well or better.

Wouldn't mind trying the wally world Perfecta, but I surmise that the same folks who kept buying all the 22 are doing it with the $12.47/box 380 as well.

Surprisingly not to bad to shoot ( I did bring 9s for inbetween); more comfy than my 642 with hot loads. I suspect this will be in my pocket a lot on those days when basketball shorts are the order of the day.

dgludwig

Quote: "...every one of them functioned flawlessly..."

That's the important part. Nothing counts more than reliability in any firearm when the purpose for it is self-defense.

Cheapshooter

CheapShooter,

Mine is a second Gen. The action was stiff as hell at first but it cleared up after a few hundred rounds. Prior to that, I had more than several FTF, one stove pipe and one crack daddy slim load that I don't want to discuss. :p Just saying, run full brass FMJ through for a few hundred rounds.
Yes, anything I intend to carry gets a minimum of 100 trouble free rounds of fmj range ammo through it before I trust it. That means if it has a hiccup @ 50 or so rounds, I start the count all over. Then I choose the candidates for my carry ammo, and function test 40-50 rounds of it.