Ruger LCP and best ammo

FITASC

Just won one of these at an auction. Was wondering from folks who have one which brand(s) have been found to be (typically) the most trouble free.

TIA!

Rangerrich99

My LCP has run everything I've put through it in terms of target ammo. Currently, I've put about 300 rounds of PMC through it without any trouble. Before that it was S&B, and before that it was Winchester. Before that I don't remember.

As for HPs, I did have a couple FTFeeds with Hornady CD. Now I'm running both Glaser pow'r ball and Hornady Z-max (they were on sale) and haven't had any trouble through 100 rounds (total).

Rich_357

It will hiccup a bit for the first few hundred rounds. It's a small gun with tight tolerances until it's broken in. Try to stay with full brass from reputable brands until the action smooths out.

FITASC

Thanks for that tip about the ammo. I have some I used in a 1934 Beretta (but the slide bite on that is horrendous). I'm hoping this will be perfect for those days when gym/basketball/fishing type shorts are the norm, since none of those garments have a belt, just drawstrings.

dgludwig

I run quality factory hardball through mine. Haven't fired much more than a hundred rounds (including some Federal Hydra-Shok JHPs) at this point in time but so far, so good in terms of reliable functioning. When carrying a pistol chambered in .380 for self-defense, I rely on FMJ bullets for ultimate reliability and penetration.

Cheapshooter

It will hiccup a bit for the first few hundred rounds. It's a small gun with tight tolerances until it's broken in. Try to stay with full brass from reputable brands until the action smooths out.
Not sure about the newest incarnation, but my first gen dash SN Elsie Pea was nothing like that. From out of the box I fired 100 rounds of various fmj ammowothout one single failure. Same with several brands of JHP defense ammo. It has never had a single problem with any ammo. Probably goi g on about a thousand rounds down the pipe now. Although any gun I count on for defense will have at least 100 trouble free rounds run through it before it is trusted. I suggest you do the same.
My personal preference for carry anno is Speer Gold Dot.
But any modern defense ammo will serve you well.

Nano65

My Gen 2 has been trouble free. Here is a list of what I have run through it:

Ruger LCP 380 SN/371027xxx
150 Federal American Eagle 95 gr FMJ flat nose
7 Gold Dot 90 gr GDHP
14 Hornady Critical Defense
50 HPR 100 gr FMJ
199 Monarch 94 gr FMJ
200 Winchester Train & Defend 95 gr FMJ
18 Hornady American Gunner 90gr XTP

rugmar

My wife has one that really shoots well with 95 Gr. Fiocchi FMJ. It also runs well with the cheap Perfecta stuff from Walmart.

It's one of fairly recent manf. if that makes a difference.

Kreyzhorse

Mine is a first generation and it runs any ammo you can put through it. Never had a hiccup.

Buy whatever you can find and shoot away.

Rich_357

CheapShooter,

Mine is a second Gen. The action was stiff as hell at first but it cleared up after a few hundred rounds. Prior to that, I had more than several FTF, one stove pipe and one crack daddy slim load that I don't want to discuss. :p Just saying, run full brass FMJ through for a few hundred rounds. ;)

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

FMJs, plated RNs (handloads), Hornady CD, and Winchester Ranger SXT (you'll see it labelled as "PDX1 Defender" now) have run well for me.

I had a few failures to feed in the first 40 rounds with the FMJs and plated RNs, but it could have just as easily been me limp-wristing the pistol during rapid fire as any other potential cause.

The 'defense' ammo ran perfectly.

flintforever

I have a 2012 year LCP maybe by now a little over 1,000 round fired from this gun and never had a he-cup.
I have run both factory and lead reloads and for carry I use a combination mix Hornady Critical defense and Fiocchi H.P.
I have a box of Corbon not sure the LCP will handle it .

WVsig

No issues with the following: I have only shout about 500 rounds through the gun but I am confident it will run with the Hornady American Gunner 90gr XTP.

Hornady American Gunner 90gr XTP
Geco 95gr FMJ
Perfecta 95gr FMJ

MFitz

Once I figured out how to hold it properly it eats everything I feed it with no issues.

For SD I feed it Ruger ARX. For practice I feed it whatever is on sale.

RoughDivider

My gf has run hers with a few hundred blazer brass, monarch FMJ, and Hornsby American gunner with absolutely no issues outside of the first 5-10 rounds l. After that, no hiccups, I'm fairly certain it's a newer gen too.