Ruger GP100

3StrikesNC

I have the KGP-162. It was one of the first pistols I purchased, more than fifteen years ago. It is absolutely the very best handgun I own (out of twenty or so). It shoots accurately and consistently to 100 yds., is very comfortable and the grips are outstanding for my hand. I shoot hot .357 and average specials. It is just perfection, IMHO.
By the way, the first thing I did after purchase was ordered the 44 mag Super Redhawk sights and replaced the original 357 sights,.... just poped out the old and put in the new, major inexpensive upgrade for me.
One of these days I'll probably buy another, just to keep as a backup. I like it that much.

3StrikesNC

AKR
I assume you're asking me. The KGP-162 is a SS Ruger GP100, 6" full "slab side" out to the muzzle. Seems to me it was also available at the time with a partial "slab side" barrel and maybe just a round barrel like the Super Redhawk.

Anyway, it's sweet.

If you want a pic, I'll have to go get the camera...:)

3StrikesNC

Okay, you twisted my arm.

You can see the Super Redhawk sight package here.

It's not a CCW for my person, but in the vehicle, on the range, or on the hunt, it's a great gun.

Attachments

• P0003509.JPG
    P0003509.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 179

JohnKSa

Administrator
That gun is still a beauty, John.
Thanks!
I was reading something that was telling that the noise of a .357 could cause hearing damage even if you had hearing protection on.
It's probably wise to double up on hearing protection (muffs and plugs) when shooting a 4" barrel (or shorter) .357Mag at an indoor range.

Sgt.Fathead

Excellent Choice

akr, the GP100 4" SS is an excellent choice for a double action revolver and the 6" is no slouch either! I, like many previous posters, prefer the versatility of the 4" model for trail use, hunting back-up, regular target shooting and an all around workhorse revolver. I've stated before in many posts here at TFL that I've sold all but one of my S&W revolvers to buy Rugers instead. They are, as my friend Mike recently put it, "Viking Tough" in reference to the beating his old GP100 took last year snowmobiling in the Canadian Rockies.

So far as hearing loss goes, again, 'said' by others, hearing and eye protection should be essential range gear. I use foam earplugs covered by a pair of AO Safety shotgunner ear muffs rated to 21db with no problems at all. As a former Marine machine gunner, I have a certain amount of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and am very careful about further damaging my already compromised hearing. With all manner of loads, indoors and out, I have no problems with the GP100 and .357 rounds.

Good luck to you!

Incidentally, my GP100 is all stock except for the front sight, changed over to the red ramp style, and the Ruger/Hogue factory overmolded grips. They are a big help in keeping the sucker on target!

Laz

Akr, you said, "Thanks! I may just get the 6", even though it probably isn't balanced as well."

You're probably right about that and I just traded my full lug 6 inch as part of a deal for a pair of New Vaqueros. No worries, I still have a couple of six inch GPs with the 1/2 lug. I always felt the full lug 6 inch to be a bit muzzle heavy and the 1/2 lugs to balance as well as a 4 inch. That said, I shot that full lug very well (for me at least) and found that the muzzle heaviness sure tended to keep the muzzle steady and on target. Strictly on that I maybe should have kept the full lug but they ain't makin' the 1/2 lug anymore, I really like them, full lugs sell better for the shop, and I can get another one if I ever really want to. The 4 inch does handle better though. The 1/2 lug 6 inch is exquisite. A wonderful firearm, IMO. Still, to me, the classic GP100 is the 4 inch full lug, adjustable sighted version, but the 6 inch is a great shooter.

.45 Vet

I got this 4" a couple years ago to replace my some-what retired 6" stainless Security-Six. I too like the 4" for woods walks and general plinking. But I miss the longer sight radius for hunting. (aging eyes) I bought the Security six new in 1978.

GP-100SYCAMORE003.jpg

BikerRN

After the New Year I will start carrying a 3" GP100.

The wife is giving it to me for Christmas, I peeked. ;) I like 3" 357 Mags for daily carry, and already have a S&W 5"er for when out in the field hunting. I really like the 357 Mag cartridge and it's still the "one to beat" in terms of one shot stops. The old loadings for this cartrige are like a mini "Stun Grenade". :D

Biker

howard bleach

I own 12 handguns and the GP would be the last one I'd ever get rid of. It's currently my 'bedside' gun, but fun to take to the range and just shoot .38. As far as durability is concerned, to paraphrase a film I'm sure most of you are familiar with, you can hammer nails with the thing all day and it'll still shoot like a champ!

akr

It really looks substantial. Do you put 357 loads in it for bedside use?:eek: It really is a versatile gun, and that's what I like. I ended up ordering the 6" bbl.

akr

That makes me want to have two of them. People joke about this being an addiction, but it really is!