Ruger GP100

JWT

Have a GP100 stainless with 4' barrel. Extremely solid gun. Built like a tank. Excellent value for the money.

JohnKSa

Administrator
My first gun.
attachment.php

I've sold and traded a lot of guns but I still have this one, and not just for sentimental reasons either. ;)

Like JOHN... the GP-100 was my 1st handgun... had mine for lots of years, it's currently my "truck gun" & one of the 1st to hang on my belt for a hike in the woods

still looks pretty good, considering I've had & used mine pretty heavily for 15-20 years, & I bought it used in the 1st place...:cool:

attachment.php

BTW... IMO, 4" for "all around use" is good... my thoughts are 4" for defense, 6" for offense... I'll carry the 4" as a back up for hunting, but do my hunting with longer than a 4" barrel

john in jax

The Ruger GP100 is an awsome revolver. As mentioned above the 4" bbl is a great choice for an all-around gun. IMO 6" or longer bbls are great for range toys and hunting handguns, but a lot more awkward to carry/conceal.

2ndamd

I own several GP100s.
You made wise choice getting the 4" for an all around gun.
I like the 3" better for conceal carry and the 6" better for range fun but, the 4" can do both CCW or open carry and the shoot accurate out to 50 yrds (it takes practice).
Have fun with your new gun.

akr

I was reading something that was telling that the noise of a .357 could cause hearing damage even if you had hearing protection on. It also spoke of the massive muzzle flash and violent recoil. I started backing away a little bit. I knew the gun would have all these things, but I didn't think it would be to that extent. Any opinions?

CarbineCaleb

Well, a .357 can be pretty dramatic to shoot, but is certainly better than the bigger bores if shot out of a similarly size gun. The lighter the gun and the shorter the barrel, the more drama you will get, so you might want to take that into account when choosing.

In my opinion, for range and hunting, you want a 6-8 inch barrel (and also the mildest and most accurate shooting). For home defense and range, a 4-6" barrel. For concealed carry, a 2-3" barrel.

As far as whether to get a .357 at all, I wouldn't worry about that too much - the beauty of a revolver is that they work well over a wide range of cartridge power, and, you get dual chambering ability in the .357 - both .38 Special and .357 Magnum. In factory ammo, you can get real mild target .38 Specials to shoot that have about 160 ft-lb of energy, through .38+P, past .357 "tactical" rounds, then .357 standard, up to .357 max loads that are over 700 ft-lb energy.

Hearing damage is not an issue with proper hearing protection, and with a good sized gun like a 4-inch GP100 or S&W 686, you can shoot even heavy .357 loads without pain - the gun will jump pretty good, but it won't hurt.

2ndamd

If wearing proper hearing protection I seriously doubt the claim it can damage your hearing. Heck, if the was the case then what about a 44 mag or 500 S&W? Myth.

Muzzle flash on .357 magnums is not a myth. Very bright and to some people blinding. But, I do not feel the recoil of a 4" heavy lug barrel is that great. These are two different things. The muzzle flash can be ignored if you practice on focusing on the target and not the gun. Which we should be doing any way.

Recoil is more a matter of physics. Now, I can shoot a .38 special until the cows come home. But 300 rounds of full power .357 magnum and I am a little fatigued in my hand and my wrist. But that is because I shoot for defensive purposes. If you are just plinking and having fun then I can shoot all day with .357 mags because you just let the recoil roll up your arms.

It depends how you shoot.

spraynbuckshot

I have had one for about 3 years. I will never get rid of it. The hot factory loads shoot with ease. My only regret is not buying it sooner.

Laz

I may be wrong on this because it is subjective, but I think the reputation of eardrum-splitting crack and bang is from the legendary full-bore 125s. They are noticeably louder and sharper. My own subjective opinion is that other loadings, such as the typical 158 grain load and the mid-range 125s are much more in the ballpark of other centerfire rounds when it comes to noise and flash. still loud enough to damage eardrums indoors but not so different than other defensive loadings. All centerfire handguns cartridges are loud indoors and all can damage hearing. Personally, I prefer the heavier .357 loads anyway, but for home use, depend on either a heavy .38 158 +P or one of the toned-down .357s like Speer's 135 grain load or Remington's Golden Saber. If I wanted more power, I would use a 158 grain load but only use a full-velocity 125 indoors if there were simply no other choice.