Ruger Blackhawk knockabout varmint gun (30 vs 357)

44 AMP

Staff
First off, forget questions about accuracy. Except where there is a clear feature of the gun, like the .357 convertable firing 9mm cylinder where hard jacketed bullets are slightly undersize for the bore, accuracy is going to be a matter of the individual gun and ammo (and shooter) combination.

Second, the .357 Mag shoots .38 Spl as well, giving you a wide range of options.

Third, the .30 carbine bullets are all RN or HP profile, and designed to work best at rifle (carbine) speeds. Also bullet weights top out considerably less than the .357 Mag. SWC bullets provide a different and usually better level of effectivness on game than RN where there is no expansion.

This isn't to say that the .30 carbine round will not do useful service. But, over all, for a game round, small or big, the .357 Mag is a better choice.

And, you can plink with it just fine, too!

The Ruger .30 carbine is a neat gun, and not just a range toy, but overall, the .357 Mag is a better choice.

Your hearing is your business, but both will screw it up permanently if you shoot them without ear protection!

L_Killkenny

My choice for varmints is the .32H&R. Partly cause the platform I shoot it in, partly cause it shoots flatter with less noise than the .357. The .30 Carbine doesn't even enter my mind.

Currently I can't think of any "hunting" .32 H&R platform being made. Maybe Charter or Taurus is still making one with a 4" barrel, can't recall. You can however get a GP100 or a Blackhawk in .327 and just use H&R loads. But ...................the best platform for the .32H&R is still the Ruger Single Six. Not hard to find on the used or NIB market.

kahrguy

Get a basic reloader kit and you can roll up some very mild 800fps 357 small game plinker loads and still set up to a 180gr hardcast load for bear defence and all other in between.

jackpine

357 orver 30 carbine any day. 30 carbine just hurts to shoot even with ear protection, loud is an understatment. If I were getting a blackhawk for field use I'd go with 45 colt. With 357/44/30 carbine you can get a loud crack out of hot loads, in 45 colt it's more of a pop then a crack.

shootniron

IF you reload, I think there is a better choice than either, but of the 2...the .357 has to get the nod. It is more practical and you will enjoy it more while it will do anything/more than the .30 will do. Also, there is a reason the .30 Blackhawk is kinda rare...nobody wants them.

natman

357 hands down.

Better choice of ammo. Better selection of bullet weights. To top it off, it has the 38 Special option.

Finally, while a 357 from a handgun is loud, a 30 carbine is unbelievable. Ear splitting, gets your attention 6 booths down at the outdoor shooting range while wearing muffs AND plugs loud. I've only experienced it once and that was plenty.

Wear hearing protection in either case.

tjh

I know the op said he was wanting a blackhawk , but a t/c contender or encore with a 12-15 inch barrel would make the 30carbine a much better choice . imo.
but my first choice would be a contender in 327 fed mag.

wyobohunter

Well, I decided to go with a 5.5" Bisley
Vaquero in 357. I like the slimmer lines compared to the BHawk, I like the barrel length. Obviously I'll need to play with loads to get something that hits POA but I think once I've found the pet load I'll be happy with the choice. I'll post when I pick it up (it's in another town so I called them & put money down) and have a chance to shoot it a bit.
4atududa.jpg

Thanks for all of the help.

wyobohunter

I know this thread is a bit dated now but I'll revive it because I picked up the Bisley. I ran a few patches through is and shot it with some factory federal 158 gr loads on the way home. Shooting was pretty informal but I was able to make a 6" diameter tin lid very nervous at nearly over 75 yds using my tailgate as a rest. I even hit it twice out of six tries. It hits point of aim with this load from very close to the estimated 75+ yds.

I'm very excited as I feel this will be a viable hunting revolver for p-dogs, coyotes, wolves, antelope and deer out to 75 yards or so.

I bought a couple hundred 158 gr Hdy XTP's and 1,000 WSPM primers. There was no brass to be had so I bought 100 rounds of the factory stuff mainly for the brass. So far very happy. I'll try to get some pics and post again when I've had a chance to do some formal accuracy testing.

Last edited: