Ruger Blackhawk .44 Spcl

Master Blaster

Congratualtions, you got one heck of a deal on a custom gun made by one of the top Ruger revolver smiths in the world. It ought to shoot very well indeed.

The front sight looks like a spring loaded replaceable model, did you get any other front sights in the box?

I would call Hamilton Bowen and find out what load he recommends for the best accuracy. I would also buy a basic reloading setup, and get into reloading for that revolver.

My guess is that some rich old guy sent the ruger to Bowen, and while he was waiting for its return he died:(

His gun hating wife then sold the gun to the gun store for $200 as a new gun when it came to their house fed-ex from Bowen. As far as she or the gunstore knew it was NIB.

My advice is to not look a gift horse in the mouth.;)

Lloyd Smale

If bowen built it its worth 1200 minimum and like was said he does fantastic work. Im an old costie myself and its great to see you get such a find.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Um...timing? I hope the cyclinder doesn't normally line up with the bore like that. I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if I missed something.

Semper Paratus

Hamilton Bowen responded to my Email as follows:
Dear Sir:

Thanks for your inquiry.

From the look of the photo, I'd say we probably did the work as it is in our style with what look like our receiver markings. While we can veryify using the serial number, it is a rather time-consuming process to research our records so we assess a fee of $35 to check the records and prepare a letter detailing our findings.

Hope this will help; thanks for your interest.

Sincerely yours,

Hamilton S. Bowen
Bowen Classic Arms Corp.

Looks more and more like a good deal to me.

BlkHawk73

i'd spend the $35 and be sure. Without it being authenticated by Bowen as his work, it's still just an ordinary rechambered Blackhawk done by "Ima 'Smith". Get it documented and it's a much nicer and noteworthy revolver.

Ozzieman

I’m with BlkHawk73 on spending the $35. I have never owned one but I have shot a true Bowen and if I saw that gun on a shelf for $1000, it would not be on the shelf very long.
Congrats, great find!

Semper Paratus

Well guys. I dropped $35 and got the letter of provance from Ham Bowen. He confirms all work except the recoil shield scollops which he notes was not a line item on the PO. Suspect they did it though. Regardless this has turned out to be , hands down, my best firearms value. Now if I could find a nice 950 FPS 240 gr load using something besides Unique I would be all set.

CraigC

You got a hell of a sixgun for four hundred bucks!!! I'd be a little concerned about the rust spots and would want to break it down and clean it well.