Ruger Blackhawk .44 Spcl

Semper Paratus

Just picked up a new blue Blackhawk .44 Spcl. It came with the hard black rubber grips and a lanyard swivel on the butt. A little too monochromatic with black grips on a dark blue revo. The Ruger site does not discuss this particular model but oh well. Looking to add a set of faux ivory grips. I understand that the white linen micartas look remarkably like real ivory and can be fast aged in some strong tea to give them the age/yellowed look I would like. Any one have any recommendations as to finding some faux ivories? Thanks for the help.

BlkHawk73

Being .44 special makes it a conversion from the get go and the laynard would also be a add-on as well. Any idea who did the work?
as for the grips, gotta check under the grips and see what the grip frame is exactly. It should be cast into it or otherwise marked. There's different ones and with a conversion made, it's quite possible the grip frame was changed. From there, just start seeing what's available. I'm not a big fan of the ivories but if going that route, I'd opt for some nice clean Holly wood ones. They'll give the look of ivory, have a verrrry slight grainy pattern to them but be much more durable than the mircata stuff. I use either Klamath River or a gentleman over on Ruger forum for mine.

Semper Paratus

I don't think it was a conversion. It is I believe brand new in Box. Roll Marked on frame Blackhawk 44 spcl. All the original papers and stuff. Even has the lock under the grip panels. Barrel marked 44 Special with no x outs or regrinds. A custom run for a distributor? I dunno. Certaily unfired. Has screw retainer for base pin. It is possible that I'm a dummy and it is a conversion but it looks like it came from the factory this way. I have a hard time with the conversion angle with an out the door price at just over 4 bills and the cheapest I have seen Blackhawks advertised new in recent years is like $375 at Buds not too long ago. not much margin on a conversion there
Serial number is 520-13xxx if that helps.

tplumeri

check with davidsons, they do alot of limited runs with ruger.
check which frame it is. XR3 (red frame) will take the same grips as the original Vaquero. the "new" and super blackhawks are different, as are the new Vaqueros.
I think Micarta would be a great choice. I have black micarta on my vaquero.
Its very durable.
there was a thread here about Ivory look grips not too long ago. Ill send tou the link when i find it
tom

pesta2

Has screw retainer for base pin.

Sound like a conversion to me. Is it a Flattop? I know when the new .357 Flattops came out people where buying them to convert to .44 Special. Sound like a great firearm, we need pictures!! I always wanted a Flatop .44 Special. If it is a conversion you got one hell of a deal on it.

BlkHawk73

The 520 prefixes were the NM flat top 50th Ann .357's so it sure does look like a conversion - sorry.

All those rollmarks can easily be changed and look factory buy a good gunsmith. Ruger doesn't mark their single action bbls as to the chambering either. The only factory laynards have been for foreign contract runs. Also the locking base pin surely isn't a factory item either. What do the ppers (manual) specify? What color is the plastic factory case and does it have any model indeniting label? the price does seem low for such a conversion if it was done and verifyable by one of the bigger name 'smiths. A smaller gunsmith's work could often reduce the value.
Best diagnosis...call Ruger's records dept with the serial number and they'll give the scoop, likely verifying it as a 50th Ann .357.

Sarvisian

Definitely a conversion, Ruger has never made a .44Spcl although it's been asked for repeatedly by many, many people. The screw on the base pin is another giveaway as Ruger doesn't do this either. Ruger has done a few lanyard rings but I think only for foreign contracts.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal on a great package, if it shoots worth a darn you're way ahead. Post a picture, sounds like something I'd like to see.

Neophyte1

Call Ruger

Semper Paratus: Sir; when I have a question about Rugers I call them.
You just may have something special there. Ruger at times have sent stuff out ?special?

Call Ruger @603-865-2424 A very nice lady will answer all your questions.

For simplicity; have your firearm + serial# handy with any special markings.
Should you have the :)box:) have that too.

She can provide you with a letter of authenticity if you ask. All free of charge.

Follow up with what you find. and Thanks

Semper Paratus

Ruger confirmed Blackhawk73's assessment that this was "a NVB34-50, 50th anniversary model. This revolver shipped from the factory as a .357 magnum caliber Shipped: March of 2006 " Now the drill will be to find out who the FFL got it from. The FFL claimed that it was new so we will have to see based on the findings from further investigation. Well any way it looked new to me when I looked it over before purchase. Some photos to come now that the wife is home with the camera.

Semper Paratus

Here are some photos Sorry for the quality but I be an nginear not a photographer.

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

BlkHawk73

Ruger confirmed Blackhawk73's assessment that this was "a NVB34-50, 50th anniversary model.

I'm no genius but I knew this to be what is was orignially. Aside from the non-factory aspects, the serial number prefix alone pretty much secured by assesment.
If your dealer sold it under the pretext of it being "new" you need a new dealer, an honest one. Seriuosly! No need at ALL to do business with a liar!
If it was indeed "new" he'd have gotten it from a distributor. The case would show it's true identity on the end label. In the case of all the 50th Ann models, the case would be red and have the 50th Ann badge as a emblem on the case. What case did it come with??? He should have, better have, written in his records book who he got it from. I suppose he could've gotten it new and had the work done not having it papered and then sold it as "new" but he would be sking more I'd think, again depending on who did the work.
I'd definately question this dealer on this.

Semper Paratus

I screwed up the images first time but they are here now. You are right it was a red box with 50th anniverasary lasbel on it. Thanks for the help. Discussions to follow with the FFL.

BlkHawk73

Neat! Real neat! :) I do notice a few pspots around the laynard attactchment and on the grip frame screws that seem to have rust? Another sign it's not "new". The front sight base seems HUGE! How's it balance? Also looks like the recoil shield is scalloped but can't tell if it might be the light or reflection.
That's a Bisley hammer. Because of that, if you change the hammer to any other style, you'll have a oversized void in the grip frame recess that the hammer moves in. I'd leave it as is though. looks nice with the Bisley hammer. :)

Jim Watson

Sure looks like the Bowen I found for you, with the addition of a Bisley hammer. I'd call Hamilton Bowen up and see if he would look up the number to see if he worked on it. He is enough of a Big Name that it would enhance the value of the gun.

Edit to add:
Found a different picture on Bowen's site, you have what looks exactly like a Kenai, Bisley hammer and all.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/images/Blue .44 Spec. Kenai on NM FT.jpg

If it tracks back, that is $1095 gunsmithing, $395 caliber conversion, $150 scallop recoil shield.

Somebody REALLY messed up letting that one go for $400.

Do you feel better now?

Semper Paratus

Blckhawk 73. I not sure what pspots are but after a wipe down the area around the lanyard looks better withouy my fingerprints and dust. I'm thinking the "rust" in the grip screw heads may be the affect of the setting sun while shooting the photos because no corruption is visible when closely examined. The recoil shield is scalloped as Jim pointed out. The front sight base is huge and she has a muzzle heavy feel but not obnoxiously so.

Shot it last week with Remmington white and green 246 LRN. First 25, less three fliers cut a raggedy hole hole 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter at 10 yards. At 50 feet the next 25 opened up quite a bit but I'm willing to accept that from a fatigue standpoint combined with the relatively long lock time, as compared to my 1911 and double action Smiths.

The trigger is very good with respect to creep and pull weight but has considerable overtravel. I'll probably try the old pencil eraser trick, I just stuck a magnet on the ejector rod shroud and it is ferrous also. Aren't aluminum shrouds stock on most Rugers ?

Jim- I'm with you this one is spitting image of one of Hamilton Bowen's Kenais. I was happy with the pistol when I thought it was straight out of the Ruger Factory for 4 bills and am getting happier the more I study on it even if it is not new.

Thanks for all of ya'lls help, Now I gotta figure out a good load for the baby cause I can't afford like $30+ a box for Rem 246gr LRN. I'm thinking a 240 at 850 for play and something a touch warmer like 950-1000 for more serious work. Not looking to turn it into a 44 mag. I have plenty of AA#7, 231 Universal Clays available. I have 3 #of 296 but probably not a good choice for the relatively mild scl pressures

Sarvisian

Semper, you stole that there revolver. The gun by itself would've been worth over $400.00, the custom work which was done to just about every area of that gun is worth another grand easy.

I'd be careful going back to the dealer to get a history, you just may get arrested when he figures out what you got away with. :D

Maybe you got the Coastie discount.

Retired FSC sends.