Ruger 9mm P series prices

I don't have an answer as to why the P series are fetching that kind of price....9mm craze or otherwise.

My first handgun was a P95. Sold it to a friend in dire need. Bought it new in '96 for about $310, I believe. Obviously known, Ruger has since produced several other variants of polymer firearms. Are they a better design? IMO they are. The P95's sights are lacking, it's bulky, fit/finish is fair, etc. Be mindful, we're comparing a firearm that was designed in the '90's to the ones today. It's still a good, reliable firearm. I put tens of thousands of rounds through mine. One major plus was it absorbed recoil better than ones of today.

I'm still baffled as to why pricing for them are more than what they were new. 9mm firearms may be in high demand elsewhere. I visited my LGS and a couple of big box stores. Their inventory was pretty decent.

In regards to Ruger's polymer of today compared to the P series of yesterday: I'm not so sure major advancements have been made in that dept. Changes to their formula? Sure. However, I saw little, if any, wear/tear on my P95 on the polymer.

Don Fischer

I had a P90 but sold it years ago. To big and heavy and to much recoil for me. Also still have my P89. I believe it's a very well made gun and I use it to carry once in a while. It's drawback is it's size and weight. the longer barrel than my S&W Shield c9 and the double stack magazine make it quite a bit larger and heavier. harder to hide away and heavy to carry around a lot. Other than that, damn nice gun. If I wanted a handgun to attack with, I think I'd have no trouble with the P89, as I said very nice well made gun. In a defense situation though I doubt I'd need 15 rounds ammo. By the time I used 15 rounds I'd be dead or better!

TruthTellers

I don't have an answer as to why the P series are fetching that kind of price....9mm craze or otherwise.

My first handgun was a P95. Sold it to a friend in dire need. Bought it new in '96 for about $310, I believe. Obviously known, Ruger has since produced several other variants of polymer firearms. Are they a better design? IMO they are. The P95's sights are lacking, it's bulky, fit/finish is fair, etc. Be mindful, we're comparing a firearm that was designed in the '90's to the ones today. It's still a good, reliable firearm. I put tens of thousands of rounds through mine. One major plus was it absorbed recoil better than ones of today.

I'm still baffled as to why pricing for them are more than what they were new. 9mm firearms may be in high demand elsewhere. I visited my LGS and a couple of big box stores. Their inventory was pretty decent.

In regards to Ruger's polymer of today compared to the P series of yesterday: I'm not so sure major advancements have been made in that dept. Changes to their formula? Sure. However, I saw little, if any, wear/tear on my P95 on the polymer.
I guess one answer is inflation, $310 back in 1996 is worth $510 today, minus the usual devaluing of something used of about $100, so $400 is about right. With the focus today on smaller and smaller pistols, the big duty sized P series isn't worth the same as what a new Taurus G2, G3, or GX4 is today, so I can see why 400 or less is the sweet spot for the P series these days.

mpolk

I have a P95 paired with one of the original Ruger PC9 police carbines made in 1998 that uses the p series mags. It was a police trade in from the Maine highway patrol when they went to the ar15. It looks like it sat in the trunk in a case it's whole life. When I got it, it appeared to have be shot maybe 10 times. It is in my opinion way better than the carbine they are selling now. I also have an Sr9c which I carried for several years. They are all great guns that time and development have passed by. Glad folks are still enjoying them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk