Ruger 9mm P series prices

TruthTellers

I checked out that green and yellow website because I'm still looking for a P90 (I'll get you, my pity) and wanted to see what the P series in 9mm were going for and I was a bit surprised to see they are going for about $400-425. For the times right now to see well made 9mm's going for such prices is curious.

So, what's the deal here, is this a situation where because 9mm ammo is so pricey people are hesitating with how much they spend or is it these being older and kind of large, heavy pistols or is it people preferring strikers and not DA/SA?

ETA: Also, could someone tell me what the differences were between the P85 and P89?

Last edited:

44caliberkid

They were selling for $325 - $375 eighteen months ago, so if you're not in love with yours it might be a good time to sell it. Any 9mm semi auto of any decent quality is in high demand right now, because all people who are new gun buyers and don't know anything about guns, know "9mm" and it holds 15 shots. Sold

TruthTellers

They were selling for $325 - $375 eighteen months ago, so if you're not in love with yours it might be a good time to sell it. Any 9mm semi auto of any decent quality is in high demand right now, because all people who are new gun buyers and don't know anything about guns, know "9mm" and it holds 15 shots. Sold
Well, I don't own one and like I said I've been looking for the P90 (and those are going for over $500) and I've also been wanting the Beretta Px4, however those are really tough to come by right now. So, seeing the price for the P89s and P95s has me considering them.

44caliberkid

Well they are certainly rock solid pistols, which is why about 18 months ago, I picked up a P85 for $300 and a P90 for $390. I was watching GB during that period for early Ruger autos, and also, interestingly, early Smith single stack 9's, so I'm real familiar with what prices were like then.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The P85 was the original design. There was a recall on the P85s and the P89 was the newer version with the recall incorporated.

I'd say if you have the choice, get a P89.

I wouldn't buy one for $400. I don't doubt that they are going for that much right now with all the craziness, but I think that they will come back down to a more reasonable level at some point.

mpolk

I really prefer the P95 myself. Don't ever shoot mine anymore but wouldn't let it go either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'd take a P95 over the P89 as well. Wish Ruger hadn't discontinued selling parts for them. You can't even get recoil springs for them anymore.

lee n. field

I checked out that green and yellow website because I'm still looking for a P90 (I'll get you, my pity) and wanted to see what the P series in 9mm were going for and I was a bit surprised to see they are going for about $400-425. For the times right now to see well made 9mm's going for such prices is curious.

Everything's high. It's a seller's market, and we're slipping into a period of bad inflation. Last gun I bought, was used ("pre-owned", showed minimal sign of use), but went for almost MSRP. A search of gunbroker completed auctions show that, in fact, that's what they were going for.

Last I saw a P95, a couple months ago, they were asking $350. I kind-of kick myself for not picking up the same gun when I saw it earlier last year for $250. Decocking DASA G-19 equivalent, what's not to like.

people preferring strikers and not DA/SA?

The average internet gunboard follower, maybe. But, I'm seeing a contingent of folks appreciating the DA/SA autos more, lately. They're perfect for AIWB.

these being older and kind of large, heavy pistols

Robust but economical service pistol, it the P-series niche. Departmental bean counting purchasers don't necessarily care so much about ergonomics and fashion, as the gun buying public.

Also, could someone tell me what the differences were between the P85 and P89?

First release was the P85. They fixed a problem, (that you can still get repaired if you happen to have an unmodified original P85) and called it the P85 Mark II. They cleaned up some stuff, and released it as the P89, replacing the original.

TruthTellers

I'm gonna go P89 here, I can live without the rail, but mostly because I doubt the polymer Ruger was using in the 90s was as good as what they did when the SR's came out. Basically, IDK how those polymer frames from the 90s are going to last.

Urbanrecon

The Ruger P85/89 are actually quite satisfactory for old hunky guns and I seriously doubt they're going to get cheaper any time soon.

Logs

I have been wanting a Smith 5906 9mm. Wow those guns are selling in the $700 range now. I'll wait.

cslinger

I can say that I have a Ruger P97 that is probably 21-22 years old and the frame is no worse for wear then when it was bought and that is a gun the completely rides on the, albeit YUGE!!!, polymer frame rails.

If I were to guess as long as polymer isn’t exposed to lots of UV or constant heat/cold cycles it will probably last indefinitely and even with UV and temp cycles probably a very long time.

larryf1952

In the spring of 2019, I sold two P series guns, a stainless P89DC and a stainless P90DC. They were both pristine, original guns with boxes, papers and extra magazine. Each one went for $395.

The P90 was a tack driver, and they were both hell for strong. But, in the ensuing years, my collection of 9's and 45's had grown and matured to the point where I shot them only rarely.

The P89 went to a gentleman in Nebraska, and the P90 went to Pittsburgh. I was sorry to see them go, but it was a logical move at the time.

j6Cbbiu.jpg

6nYqsAF.jpg

Miami_JBT

My P345 and P90 are great guns. The 9mm P series never caught my attention, but the .45 ACP line did and I'm glad I have both.

TruthTellers

Would like a P90, that was originally the P series I wanted, but the prices for the P90 is hitting $500 right now and P85/P89's are going for $100 less. Original reason I wanted the P90 was it's a decent .45 that I thought was close in price to a Hi Point (and that's not the case anymore) and I like reloading the .45 ACP, but don't have a semi auto to shoot it, just a revolver.

With the P90's going for 500, it seems inevitable I'm going to end up with a Hi Point to shoot .45

veprdude

P85s will only take factory P85 mags. P89s will take either. P85s will generally accept aftermarket (Like Mec Gar) P89 magazines. They changed the magazine release cut in the P89.

P345 and P90 take the same mags.

lee n. field

P345 and P90 take the same mags.

And the P97.

Part number differences in the P series .45 magazines just relate to if the mag has a "the gun'll shoot with the mag out" warning label on it, or not. The P345's magazine disconnect makes that moot. Assuming you didn't "forget" to put it back in, after cleaning. ;)

Wouldn't mind finding a P345.

Last edited: