Ruger .380 LCP Range Report

eme

The one question I have about the LCP and hopefuly someone will answer it. Does it cause the smileys as the Kel Tec does? This is cause by the barrel when the gun is fired and the slide and barrel slide back to eject the spent cartridge, the barrel ramp hits the next round in the magazine and causes the bullet to set back and puts a small or large arc on the face of the bullet.
To see this you must shoot a round and then hand eject the round in the chamber. I would love to find out as this was the reason I went to the P-32.

.38Catt

Got mine

Pre-paid as said in earlier post. Came in yesterday. Seems sold enough. Looking forward to some testing this week. I like the Corbon 90 grn., but I also like the Remington value pack JHP in a pinch and the Winchester "winclean". The latter has the same velicity as the other white box of the same weight, but I like the profile of the winclean round. I'll be testing it with all. Damn these ammo prices!

Regards,

Catt

KS.45

My .380 (Sig P232) eats Fiocchi Extrema just fine. I swapped a box to a friend with a Kel-Tec P3AT. He says it went through with no problem.

Clean ammo. No jams. Consistent accuracy. It's on sale at a few websites (http://www.midwayusa.com/) now.

wjkuleck

Local shops can't keep these in stock

I was supposed to get the first one to hit my FFL, but the shipment from the distributor to him was lost. However, I'm informed that it (the shipment, the LCP + six other guns) is now back on its way.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Walt

bikerbill

Can anybody compare them to a PM9? I carry one of them and really like it, but dropping 5-7 oz from the weight would be a bonus ...

glennv

The one question I have about the LCP and hopefuly someone will answer it. Does it cause the smileys as the Kel Tec does? This is cause by the barrel when the gun is fired and the slide and barrel slide back to eject the spent cartridge, the barrel ramp hits the next round in the magazine and causes the bullet to set back and puts a small or large arc on the face of the bullet.
To see this you must shoot a round and then hand eject the round in the chamber. I would love to find out as this was the reason I went to the P-32.

My LCP does this. The two failures out of 150-200 rounds both had these deep smiles. I too am wondering why this happens.

Can anybody compare them to a PM9? I carry one of them and really like it, but dropping 5-7 oz from the weight would be a bonus ...

I have both and will shoot some pics tomorrow.

oldgranpa

Smileys were a serious problem with the first generation P3AT's. Much of the testing we posted back then, several years ago, was lost during a major glitch at KTOG. The site went down for several months and when it came back the smiley threads were gone. I did manage to save some of the data.
I feel like I'm wasting my time talking about it. Anyway several of us, especially a guy named Flyer, convinced KelTec that a half moon cut on the feed ramp was needed to reduce the problem. They included that in the second generation P3AT. But the problem did not go away completely due to what I blame is the magazine furnished, made by MecGar, having a hard, black, very slippery epoxy coating. This allows rounds in the magazine to be pushed forward over the edge of the mag lip where they still get hit by the feed ramp during recoil. KT knows this and will do nothing about it. And now it appears that Ruger by copying the design, including getting the mag made with the same black coating will continue to suffer the smiley problem.

The concern about smileys is the setback to the bullet that occurs. Maybe not enough to cause a Kaboom, but unkown just how much damage the added chamber pressure will do.

Here's a link to my "What's a Smiley" thread for anyone interested.....

http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=2647.0

I still don't have my own LCP yet but I'm now having second thoughts about buying one. Got to examine one recently and noted the black magazine which concerned me. Yah, sure, it has the half moon cut on the feed ramp. But now that someone has reported the smiley problem, I doubt I want a LCP which not only looks exactly like a P3AT but appears that it will have the same problems.

Cheers and good luck to future buyers,
og

slickab

lcp

I will check for smileys tommorow on a fired fed round but only after my Dremel and i do a little home smithing. It appears that the bottom tip of my extractor is maring the inside corner of the frame when the slide hits the back of its travel upon firing. This is noticeable after being fired 15 times.

BigDaddy

quote: "You can't shoot a Kel-Tec very much or it will fall apart."

Yeah right :rolleyes:

I have a keltek p-40, the hardest hitting kel-tek around. I have put over 2000 rounds through it now in an attempt to kill it. It is still rock solid.

Spreading this kind of nonsense about the pistol just shows your own inexperience.

--Dave

DPris

Member Emeritus
Slick,
It's not the extractor, it's empty brass smacking into that frame corner.
This has been addressed by Ruger in current LCPs & they're milling a 1/8-inch cube out of that corner to correct the problem.
That fix does nothing to affect feeding, though, only ejection.
Denis