Ruger 22/45

The Tourist

According to records of actual purchases, I have fired my 22/45 more than any other caliber, and more than any other singular firearm. And that includes some varmint rifles.

To be honest, "plinking" is my favorite handgun sport over prairie dogs, IPSC, clay birds or shooting at distance. I would rather sit in a gravel pit, schmoooze with a friend, blow up a whole brick of ammo and get a sunburn than do anything else with a handgun.

And my 22/45 is the best item I have purchased to do exacttly that.

Ron Bernert

"What? You are supposed to clean the 22/45. Wow, I am about 10 years behind. "

I'm guilty of not cleaning it as often as I let on.... I just didn't want anyone to yell at me for not cleaning it often enough.. Truth is, I run a bore-snake thru it with WD-40 every few hundred shots. After (at least) 1000 I'll take it apart (maybe)......

But in my defense, it has had thousands of rounds run thru it, it has NEVER skipped a beat, and I honestly feel that I have got my money's worth out of it, so the rest is gravy! Let's just say there's a lot of gravy!! I firmly believe that the Ruger MK 1, 2, 3, 22/45, etc is one of the highest enjoyment, best value for the money purchases any gun owner makes..

darko

I have had a 22/45 MKIII Hunter for several months now. I haven't shot it yet and I'll tell you why. After buying it, I took it home and decided to clean it. I had read a few posts about how difficult re-assembly can be, so I watched some youtube videos on break-down/re-assembly. It looked easy as can be, but putting it back together turned out to be one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had with a firearm. I plan on shooting it next trip to the range but man, I am not looking forward to going through the re-assembly process again.

MemphisJim

Darko, I feel your pain. I've had my MkII 22/45 for four years now. In the early days I allocated at least two hours to maintenance after every session at the range: 5 minutes to disassemble, 15 minutes to thoroughly clean, at least an 1:40 to get it correctly reassembled. In those days, took me at least six attempts. There is hope though. By now I've established a personal best: 30 minutes for the entire process and only two attempts to successfully reassemble. At the rate I'm going, another two years and I'll have it down to maybe 15 minutes total. Gives me something to strive for.

darko

:D:D
I still have a small scar on my hand where I gouged it trying to get that final component back in.:rolleyes:

Ron Bernert

Re-assembly is not that difficult.. Not to sound like an ass, but do not watch the YouTube video, don't call a friend, just read the directions in the manual. Don't read them and try to memorize, read them every time, do not try to be smarter than them, do not skip a step, just read them and follow them word-for-word.

I swear to you, it will go together EVERY TIME.

Hold the gun EXACTLY like the pictures and you will hear the "click" when you are supposed to. The only thing to be careful about is aligning the pin at the rear, but that is tapered just for that reason.

Reassembly gets a very bad rap, but it does not need to. You also do not have to disassemble it every time you use it. Use your favorite cleaner/lube in a spray (mine is WD-40 but JUST for that gun) and a bore-snake and you are golden. :D

darko

No, I agree with you Ron. Overall it really is fairly simple. But for some reason that last part, (I don't know the correct term, but it is where you press the pin into the top-rear of the slide and crank the last part back down into the grip) just does not want to cooperate. I spent a good hour trying to get that part back in, destroyed a rubber mallet, and was leaking blood from my hand by the time it finally seated. Also, the upper, (slide) did not simply slide back into position the way it is supposed to, (and I see how it should) but it appears to need a little bit more metal shaved off inside. Maybe after a few tries it wears down enough to make it easier but dang.

Ron Bernert

Guarantee you that it gets easier after the gun breaks in a little. Don't be tempted to shave anything off.. I got lucky in that the MKII I started shooting was my uncle's, he bought it used from someone else that bought it used, etc. Very well used gun, it went together "all by itself".. Since you have had so many frustrating problems with it, you have not done what you should have been doing all along.. SHOOTING IT!!
If you really need help, find someone near you (I live near Cincinnati, Ohio) and they will help you figure out if anything is truly wrong or bent in yours. Better yet, schedule time with a gunsmith and have him/her help you understand the gun a little better.. I had to do that with an AK47 I had trouble with (usually, as a mechanic, I'm pretty good with these things) and found out that it wasn't me after all.. Someone fubar'd a part and when I released tension on it, it wold never make it back..
Oh- try reassembling a Colt model 1903 after it falls apart on you while you're watching TV. That one took me 7 hours........:eek:

az_imuth

I haven't cleaned my MkII 22/45 in so long I've forgotten how to get it apart. I figured I'd shoot it until it started acting up and then clean it, but that hasn't happened yet. I do agree about reading the instructions for disassembly/assembly. I used the book when I did the initial cleaning and didn't have any problem at all. Just follow the steps and use the photos and you shouldn't have any problems. Trying to rely on my memory is what usually gets me into trouble anyway.:rolleyes:

Big Bill

What? You are supposed to clean the 22/45. Wow, I am about 10 years behind.
I'm surprised you don't clean your 22/45. I guess it just PROVES that they are foolproof. Remind me to NEVER buy a gun that you ever owned. :confused:

The Tourist

I clean mine with an old shop rag, a larger length Q-tip and spitworth of WD-40. The thing is ticking like it was built yesterday, and I'd be happy to take your money in any game of accuracy you'd care to play.

Not only this gun, but in general, I think more guns have been ruined by cleaning than by actual use.

tech

I haven't cleaned my MkII 22/45 in so long I've forgotten how to get it apart. I figured I'd shoot it until it started acting up and then clean it, but that hasn't happened yet.

I have one with 40k rounds through it. I have not dissasembled and cleaned in the last 15k some breakfree once in a while and it chugs right along. I love this pistol.

The Tourist

Oh, I forgot to add that it's only the fire-control group that's in the grip (receiver). Just like placing a premium barrel on a mundane rifle, the accuracy will derive from the quality of these barrels.

While I've never tried it, I think there probably enough tolerance in these pistols to place your barrel on my grip and actually discharge the pistol.

oldpal

BongoFury said:
Buy one like oldpals 22/45RP. Nice pistol that.

Here is another photo with new red dot sight.
4525.jpg

Hugh

87chevy20

ruger 22/45 rp

love mine just got last week had older mk lll loved regret sellin it old pal what ammo did you get your groups from been trying different kinds

bigD01

put a red dot on mine, too. however, I've had some problems with it feeding some brands of ammo. It likes heavier loads with smoother projectiles. otherwise it catches on the feed ramp. by the way, Ihave to get the manual out every time I have to disassemble-reassemble it

Doug S

I just bought a used base model 22/45 this week on a whim, and I have to say that I like it very much. Like many of the others said, taking it apart and getting it back together is really not a problem as long as you follow the directions in the manual.

RugerMkIII22-45.jpg

RugerMarkIII22-45.jpg

Last edited: