Ruger 22/45

Single Six

Okay,change in plans...I was considering buying my first 1911,and you guys were kind enough to offer lots of good advice regarding same. Now,I've changed my mind [and it's a darn good thing I did;the old one was worn out]. The Government Model is on the back burner and I'm looking at a Ruger 22/45 for cheap,regular practice....strictly paper-punching,the tree-rat population need not fear this one. I am a Ruger man all the way,but I've never handled one of these. You 22/45 owners out there,what do you think of 'em,how do you like 'em,and what [if any] negative experiences have you had ? Thanks as always,guys.

Rockhanger

I have owned 2 (a buddy talked me out of one)No problems just clean it once&while (reassembly is a bit of a PITA) should last several thousand rounds mine has

willr

Have had one for over 5 years. No problems. It is a joy to shoot. Recommend it highly. Used it to introduce my granddaughter to shooting. She wants it eventually.

Some people have complained about reassembly after field stripping. However, if you are careful it goes all right.

Recommended highly.

willr

az_imuth

I have one of the earlier 4" inch bull barrel models without the chamber indicator and mag safety and whatever else the new ones have. It has been a fantastic pistol and a blast to shoot. Very accurate for a short barrel .22. Just be sure to get some extra mags. Those things have a habit of getting emptied awful quick.:D

farmall

Have the later Mk3 version and love it.....a great shooter in its own right, and a good training and practice substitute for the 1911.

I have loaned mine to a few coworkers, who have in turn bought one for themselves. That says alot to me.

AZAK

Some people have complained about reassembly after field stripping.

Watch Ruger's videos on dis, cleaning, and re-assembly; they have these for many of their products:

http://ruger.com/resources/videos.html

Click on the "Tech Tips" tab.

I have owned and shot: beginning with the original Standard/MKI, MKII, MKIII and 22/45. My favorite is still the 22/45.

Although I was a diehard MKII man for many years, I do enjoy the 1911s also, so the 22/45 works just fine for me.

Brian48

I prefer the regular MKII over the 22/45. The grip angle may approximate a 1911, but it sure doesn't feel like one. Anyway, I have the target model. Shoots fine, albeit most reliably with standard velocity or really low powered high velocity like Federal bulk. The only thing that really keeps me from loving this gun is the tiny, stiff bolt release. With the 22/45, you have to use it to release the bolt when chambering a round from a fresh mag. After a while, it starts to really hurt my thumb. You can "slingshot" mod this thing so that you have gravity helping you, but that's really more of a work-around than a fix.

aarondhgraham

I have the most basic model,,,

4.5 slab-side barrel, 3-dot non adjustable sights.

This is a blast to hunt Plinks with,,,
More accurate than I am,,,
Eats any ammo.

Departed402

I had one for a while. It was very nice and the controls, while not exactly like a 1911, were very familiar. I had some problems with mine feeding correctly when the slide was forward, and I went to rack a bullet in it. Occasionally the bullet would get snagged on the feed ramp, and it didn't matter which magazine I used. So I got rid of it and got a Mark III Hunter and I haven't had a problem yet.

Mike38

I really like my 22/45. Bought it used about 10 years ago with 5 magazines for $150. I changed the rear sight to one that’s more “user friendly”. I do not like any of Ruger’s sights on any of their .22’s. Installed a Volquartsen drop in trigger, which helped it out considerably. I actually like the feel of the 22/45 over the MKII that I used to have. But either one is a reliable little paper puncher.

Just last night I took it apart for it’s annual cleaning, which was about two years late. Man, what a mess it was inside, but it kept working! Checked everything over real good, and now should be ready for another year or two.

Ron Bernert

I have had my 22/45 since they first came out. Loads of fun, just shot it yesterday.. Mine is the 5" in stainless, absolutely the most fun you can have at .04 per shot..... Buy one, you will not regret it! When it comes to difficulty in re-assembly after a field strip, just do it a few times and it is no longer an issue.. In stainless, I only clean it after around 3-400 rounds or maybe more, depending on if I feel if it needs it. Use a bore-snake and only clean it once a year and it will still fire round after round..

No matter what I am shooting at the range or at the farm, either my Ruger 22/45 or my Super Single Six are always with me.. I think I shoot them more than any other gun I own!!

I lend out my .22's to friends and such regularly and get them hooked.. :)

TUFF99

The only complaint I have with my 22/45 is when I first got it, it was a pain to reassemble. That being said, I can do it with no prob now. Its my fav gun to shoot.

Japle

I've had this MKII 22/45 for several years. The gun's more accurate than I am (1" to 1 1/2" groups at 25 yds) and it's very reliable.

The Volquartsen trigger, sear, hammer, springs, sights and comp don't make it any more accurate, but they make it easier to shoot accurately.

If you get the new "replaceable panel" model, yoi'll be able to swap the grips for something that fits your hand.

Redgripsright.jpg

rptrower

My Ruger 22/45 is my favorite pistol to shoot other than my 1911s. It's no problem to clean & reassemble provide you follow the instructions to the letter.
RugerMKIII2245.jpg

allenomics

You can't go wrong with a 22/45. Grip angle is comparable to a 1911. While I like the Mark III better, the 22/45 is a winner.

Big Bill

I had a Ruger 22/45 bull barrel that I sold to get my CZ75BD. It was ok to shoot. It was not fun to disassemble and clean. After doing it several times it loosened up a little and was easier. But, still a pain. I wish I would have bought a Browning Buckmark instead. It wasn't the most accurate 22 pistol I ever owned. Maybe that was just me instead of the pistol.

oldpal

I just got this 22/45RP last week. Shoots just great. Yesterday I installed a Clark hammer bushing to reduce trigger creep and to remove the magazine disconnect.

Hugh

IMG_2375.jpg