Ruger #1

Gewehr98

Oops.

It's a No.1S in .45-70. I shoot everything in it from my BP 550gr 1300fps loads to my Beartooth 405gr gas-checked 2100+ fps thumpers. The recoil pad is more than just cosmetic. :D

DorGunR

rifle006.jpg

Mine is chambered for .270 and I hope to buy another #1 next month chambered for .243

srtrax

You know, i'm really a bolt rifle person, but there is something about these No. 1's that won't let ya go! Just thought of the words...."real class".

srtrax

Sorry guys tried to put up a good large picture to keep this thread going and get more comments on the caliber you would want on a ruger #1, but the pictures keep disapearing. You can see a picture on fisherman66 comments above, Thanks fish, think I'll have another drink whenever I become a drinking man :p Got pictures of Ruger #1's send them and tell me the caliber they're in and if you're happy with the caliber you selected. Thanks

fisherman66

You misunderstand...if yer gonna drink with WildAlaska you need to be current on yer vaccinations.

If you want you can send me the picture taken in your camera's lowest resolution and I will post it.

fisherman66

ruger__1_again.jpg

purdy stuff

I can handle a little bit higher resolution in the future. I think the max is around 256K.

Last edited:

fisherman66

Thanks for the kind words. I'm excited to see a project underway that will share some themes of mine. The picture below has been on my desktop for about a month. I've been planning my build for a few years, but something always came up. I think I can see it through this time (barring any major expenses rearing their ugly heads).

I can't wait to see your metal work finished. The Ruger #1 Yahoo MB has a case colored 22lr that is stunning.

Edit: I will need to play with photo shop to see if I can make the image larger.

Attachments

• 18e7.jpg
    18e7.jpg
    1,022 bytes · Views: 117

tronman

Beautiful!!! I wish mine looked that nice. I just bought my first No.1 and it's already the favorite of my collection.

As for caliber...you can't go wrong with the 458 winmag!
(just make sure you have good insurance to cover the shoulder rehab):)

srtrax

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that does'nt blow your socks off, you don't have a heart beat! Maybe i need to find another action, for a 2nd project :D . Like i need another one with 3 Argintine 98 actions laying around and talking to me everytime i walk past em. I like the fact you have it up as a desk top, due to my great pic. posting, i"ll put up the web page and let ya look at the one on my desk top. Although it is a Hagn action, i thought why not a Ruger! It is the Takedown model with a 2 bbl. set. One in 308 the other is 22/250, but i'd be willing to have any on this page...Guys, i have a birthday coming up and if ya all want to pitch in......;)
http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/customrifles.htm

fisherman66

Those are some of the finest rifles I have seen. I love the case coloring and the engraving is spectacular. Those rival the world finest shotguns.

srtrax

Engraving

Wish i knew where i could get some 1st class engraving without costing the amount of what i'm going to have in this rifle! I was going to get set up and take some classes on engraving, but to many arms in the fire as it is!

fisherman66

I understand. I'm thinking about learning to checker, but I don't know if I can deal with that kind of tedium. Much less engraving. One large intricate rosette would be pretty and simple, and shouldn't cost too much. That's way at the end of my fantasy list. I need to focus on finding an action and getting my wood squared away. After that I will think about the frillies - checkering first.

srtrax

Thanks waterhouse!

Checkering :eek: I can and will try just about anything wood or metal, but someone else will have to do that for me! I've done it and never could get to my degree of perfection. Them that checker, don't get paid enough, and have my total respect. I'm doing the wood and metal work, blueing and so on... but the case hardening and cherking are going to be done by someone else. I have a friend who thinks checkering is good theropy, so that tells ya right there that they are crazy...checkering and theropy in the same sentence...:D