Ruger #1

srtrax

attachment.php

This is a Ruger #1 in progress. It will have colorcase harden reciever and lever. A tapered octagon barrel with quarter rib with iron sights. Detatchable Talley removeable scope rings. Everything but the reciever will be blued. The stock is not finished but ready for this picture ( the forend was wet down with water) The glob of finish on the buttstock is extra finish, it will come off when done.

Only problem I'm having is deciding on a caliber for this rifle, thinking maybe 257 Roberts or 7X57. I own several 308s and 243s, don't need more but if this was going to be your rifle what caliber would you like it in? Looking for medium recoil level rifle. No elephants in Oklahoma!:D Im listening. Thanks

fisherman66

I believe you already listed one of the greatest elephant killer cartidges - 7x57.

I would go with 6.5x55 if choosing a custom barrel, but the 257 Roberts is another choice that would tickle my fancy.

Is Turnbull going to do the case coloring?

srtrax

I forgot, Bell and his 7x57. Either Doug or classicarms, have not flipped the coin yet, plenty of time! From pms, Fisherman66 is looking for a Ruger #1 action, can anyone help! He has a project very deserving of a good action.

fisherman66

I'll share the details of my plan (or pipe dream if my wife catches me writing this).

Ruger #1 7x57 (but I'd go with 6.5x55 or 7-08 if it were available from the factory) in RSI/Mannlicher stock. I'd like to go with case coloring (if I can't find a plum colored receiver), but that may wait or not happen depending of circumstances. I have found a source for high quality walnut and I am awaiting a price quote from Great American Gun Stocks. Steel butt plate and grip cap and a nitre blued action screw. Art mentioned Conetrol QD scope rings not too long ago and they would be my first choice. They are pricey and may end up on the drawing room floor. 2.5-8X36 Leupold scope. Total length should end up at 35 inches with a 20 inch pipe. It will have enough heft to tame the tremors but be easy to swing and a great walk around rifle.

Jseime

Have you considered the .260 Remington. They are supposed to be nothing short of amazing. The ballistics and bullet selection should make for a sweet shooter.

Paul B.

Well, your picture no longer shows, but my choice would be the 7x57. I have a Ruger #1A in 7x57 and it's one of my all time favorites. I got into it cheap because it didn't shoot very well. A chamber cast proved that the gun had way too deep a throat. Almost two inches to be exact. I sent the gun back to Ruger and it came back with a new barrel and is now a tack driver.
Paul B.

K.J.

If we're going to mention Karamojo Bell and the 7x57 I think it only fair to point this out:

"We discover that Karamojo Bell in his last published article (The American Rifleman, December 1945) declared that if he were to go back to Africa he would go by choice with a 308. In view of the outstanding results my grandchildren have had with that cartridge in Africa, I have no reason to disagree with his choice." - The late LTC Jeff Cooper.

This is probably a missprint, since the magazine article was written in 1945 and IIRC the .308 came out in 1952. Bell probably meant the .303. But in any case he's saying that he wouldn't have chosen the 7x57 again.

Last edited:

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
In the single shot, with its short action length, there is no advantage in 'short' cartridges. My traditionalist point of view is that the single shot custom rifle should be in classic, long-cased 'millimeter' calibers: from 6.5, to 7mm, and the great English DGR calibers by Holland and Holland. It's just me, but I'd feel a great custom in .260, or any Super Short Magnum, to be a waste of good wood and steel.

Gewehr98

Nope.

I don't even know what a Yahoo site looks like. :eek:

But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express, and am a fan of the Ruger #1. I'd love to have Srtrax's furniture on my own Ruger #1S.

rugerbenchsmall.jpg

srtrax

Hey everyone, done my 2 (12 hr. shifts at work:barf: ). Off for a couple:) .
Gewehr98, woods no problem, it's the $ it takes to get it now days. Sounds like most like the 6.5x55, i have a lot of bullets left over in 6.5 from the gun shop days, so maybe! Today i got to thinking about the Remington 280 also? A bit more in recoil and one i have not owned. But i think that the 280 sounds more like a bolt rifle instead:confused: . Fisherman, glad ya got the wood, (rifle blank)?...20" forend. Wood :D like to see it, I'm a woodaholic, no 10 step program for me!

fisherman66

I posted the link last night, but the wood shop took it off the web (to get it off the web inventory I'm sure).

I will take photos as soon as it arrives. One big block 24"x14"x3.5". It has been aged 4 years. I hope it's not still green.

srtrax

Gewehr98, you did'nt say what cal. your No.1 is in, and hows is it for a shooter? Look like fun, I'm a long ways from hearing mine go bang.

srtrax

Hi fisherman66

If its a true 4 years should be o.k., I have them in my favorites, but have'nt delt with them. They have some wild sticks!

fisherman66

I picked this one out their turning bowl blanks for a song and S&H (I would have paid at least four times more if I were just on another page looking at the same piece of wood). I'm a little worried about finding a good straight grain for action attachment. I may need to form some internal metalwork/epoxy to spread the stress across the internal surface of the buttstock.