Rock Chucker died - what swage press to get?

T. O'Heir

1) Yes they were. People have been swaging things with Rock Chuckers since before. And RCBS doesn't care who or what caused the damage. You could have bought a used press and still be covered by their warrantee.
2) "I want one." is a reason.
3) A Rock Chucker is steel. Cast steel is 'real' steel.
4) Like what? You paid extra for the RCBS warrantee.
5) No, they don't and you're not abusing anybody.

RC20

Gray Lion:

I too admire your integrity, and I also did not know the RCBS was intended to use for Swagging.

Unless you really want something different, it looks to me like RCBS should be allowed the privilege of fulfilling its warranty.

As I have told my wife on more than one occasion, doing something for you is not an obligation or a chore, its a privilege and one I am proud to be able to do for you.

gwpercle

CH4D Champion Press is an extra heavy duty press made for swagging bullets . You can also reform brass and reload ammo on it .
Check that bad boy out at their site. Brand new it is listed at $371.16 , which isn't a bad price for a bullet swagging type press.
Get this one for heavy duty work and if RCBS will replace the broken one keep it for the " light " jobs.
Gary

Last edited:

603Country

I had an RCBS primer seater that i bought back in about 1982 for a little more than $12. It broke about 3years ago. I called RCBS and they had one just like it in inventory, so they sent it. In short order, it broke. I called RCBS and they sent me one of the newer models. Seems like they replaced something else too, but i can’t remember what. They didn’t grumble about anything, which i thought was amazing.

Nick_C_S

I was using a bullet press for swaging - wasn't made for it - it's my own darn fault.

Back in '88-ish, I damaged the ram of my RCBS press. I was using it for a purpose other than for producing ammunition (automotive). Anyway, this was before the days of the interweb and on-line ordering, etc. so I wrote them a letter explaining how I need to purchase a new ram because I "damaged mine while using it for a purpose for which it was not intended. Kindly tell me how much a new ram costs and I'll send you a check, then you can send me the ram." Or words to that effect.

'bout a week later, a new ram showed up - no charge.

I just felt like telling my customer service story with them.

But I rather agree with you that we should apply the honor system when it comes to getting equipment replaced from good companies such as RCBS. In my case, I was up front with them and they made a business decision, based on my accurate and truthful story.

P.S. I still have and use that press. Since '88, have purchased a lot - a lot - of other stuff from RCBS. And for me, it gets even better: They're relatively local (about 40 miles away).

RC20

Yep, I use Fluke meters at work. Had one worked on under warranty.

Outside of warranty I dropped it about 12 feet, broke the screen.

Sent it in with the details, they returned it under warranty. I have bought 4 or 5 fluke meters over the years (still have all of them).

I don't mind paying for my screw ups, but I appreciate it when they more than hold up their end.

sparkyv

I suggest you ask RCBS for the frame. Your fault or not? I think not. It should not break unless you used a bar on the handle to increase leverage.

Point taken on needing a swag. So - fix the press AND get a new swaging press. The two are not mutually exclusive.

This is what i think, too.

Given that the press was originally designed for exactly what you were using it for, I agree that you need to contact RCBS.

There's been, unfortunately, a marked uptick in complaints about RCBS presses since they started going to frames cast in China. Some people are saying that the castings simply aren't made to the same strength or quality as the ones that used to be made in the US.

F. Guffey

Some people are saying that the castings simply aren't made to the same strength

Again: The handle on one of my Rock Chuckers did not feel normal. I pushed it forward after raising the ram, it was then the ram slid out and hit the floor. I blamed my wife. I called RCBS; they said they would sent me a new one:eek: and I asked "A new what?" They said they would send me a new ram and kit, I was happy with that but I was not going to give up the 'OLD' Rock Chucker. I will say if there was a press that had a good reason for coming apart it was that one.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

They didn’t grumble about anything, which i thought was amazing.

I tried to get them to number the excuses, One day I told them my elephant stepped on it. The next time I called they did not ask how my elephant was doing.

F. Guffey

Again? Huh?

That's your first post/description of the issue in this thread.

And no where did I say or infer that the old, American made presses couldn't develop problems, just that I'm hearing more complaints about the new ones that I ever did about the old ones.

F. Guffey

And no where did I say or infer that the old, American made presses couldn't develop problems, just that I'm hearing more complaints about the new ones that I ever did about the old ones.

Huh? nor did I say one of my old presses came apart because all I did with the press was stare at it. I was reminded of the Wonderful one horse shay or the Deacons Masterpiece. Because it came apart suddenly and without warning and all at once it lay all in a heap. Difference? THE old shay went 100 years and a day.

F. Guffey

OK, moving along from that conversational out of body experience into nihilism...

You decide what you're going to do, Grey Lion?

briandg

I can't say that swaging the base of a 9mm case down for bullets is a good idea if you are compressing base and web. Otherwise I don't believe that pressing a core into the brass should cause a problem for a chucker.

F. Guffey

Otherwise I don't believe that pressing a core into the brass should cause a problem for a chucker.

I have three arbor presses that go from small, medium to large. I also have a strain gage, I do not find a lot of work for the strain gage but I have put a few presses into big binds, how big? I have locked them up to the point they would not move. I have swaged cases with drifts and hammers.

I have had a difficult time removing a few barrels, because of that I gave up on barrel wrenches and moved on to using a press. That required increasing the length of the handle on the receiver wrench. The only aluminum presses I have are Dillon presses, I do not place my Dillon presses into binds.

F. Guffey

FrankenMauser

I can't say that swaging the base of a 9mm case down for bullets is a good idea if you are compressing base and web. Otherwise I don't believe that pressing a core into the brass should cause a problem for a chucker.
To be a bit more precise, but not obtusely pedantic:
In the world of bullet making, "swaging" actually refers to increasing the diameter of the core/bullet. When decreasing diameter, it is "drawing".
In other fields, the terms can mean other things - including exactly the opposite. But in bullet making, we 'swage' up and 'draw' down.

--

I agree, for the most part, that the RC IV ("RC Supreme") can take simple swaging. ...But I think anything more than turning rimfire hulls into varmint bullets is pushing the limits of the press. The earlier models of Rock Chuckers were designed to handle swaging, but I don't think that's true for the RC IV.

I also use an RC IV for swaging (.40 S&W to 44 caliber, and .45 Auto/.30-06 family cases to 475 caliber projectiles). But I keep in mind, every time that I do such, that some of the operations require a lot of pressure and the press is known for failing when pushed a little too hard.

That being said...
I think I've seen just as many reports of swaging dies popping (splitting) during swaging, as I have RC IVs failing. (Normally the link arms, as I said before.)

I would contact RCBS and at least talk to them about it. Perhaps a new frame could be purchased at cost. It's not likely - they'd probably insist on free replacement - but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

briandg

Frank, now that you mention it, I knew that, but the usual thing I hear is to Swage up or down, draw through a wire die, draw through a cupping die, etc always used by non-machinists, I now realize.

I have so many questions. When you use these 'bullets' you make, are they made and fired wit the case head intact?still seared with a dead primer? Backward or foreword through the die or barrel? Do you find a big increase in resistance as the web enters the die?

Seriously, I have never actually heard of this being done with centerfire Cases, rimfire only.

I have contemplated this possibility many times but various potential problems always came to mind. You should even be able to easily bond the core by fluxing the case interior and washing it with solder, the filling the case with hot lead. In theory, at least, that solder should melt and form a secondary bond to the hot lead, right?

FrankenMauser

Different processes require different approaches, but I use cases with (fired) primers in place. The primers typically blow out upon impact, though, as can be seen here.

It is quite disjointed, as I was figuring things out while I was sharing and didn't do the best job of organizing the information, but my thread on getting started with .40 S&W to .44 bullets should answer some of your questions.