Rock Chucker died - what swage press to get?

Grey_Lion

There I was pressing away making .40 JHP out of annealed 9mm brass & lead cores and then there was a PANG!!! and a piece of the frame broke off my rock-chucker.....

Well she did about 600 rnds before she popped and I got her used.....

The replacement press will be a machined steel swage press - What's in use out there? What recommendations can you give me?

Attachments

• dead rockchucker.jpg
    dead rockchucker.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 220

Grey_Lion

RCBS is a VERY good company. 5 reasons I'm not planning on bringing this to them....
1) I was using a bullet press for swaging - wasn't made for it - it's my own darn fault.
2) but then I won't have an excuse to get the swaging press I want.....
3) if I just replaced the frame and kept on swaging I'd break the next one too - bullet presses handle about 1/3rd the working pressures of a true steel swaging press....
4) I'm not like that
5) If we abuse the really good equipment makers, they tend to go out of business.....

grin.....

So send me thoughts on the swage presses you've used please.

I'll likely check about buying a replacement RCBS frame or donating my press to someone for parts.

NHSHOOTER

Grey Lion, I have no idea what press would work for you but I commend you for not taking advantage of RCBS's exceptional warranty. I know they would replace that press without a second thought. Good luck finding something that works for you.

fourbore

RCBS is a VERY good company. 5 reasons I'm not planning on bringing this to them....
1) I was using a bullet press for swaging - wasn't made for it - it's my own darn fault.
2) but then I won't have an excuse to get the swaging press I want.....
3) if I just replaced the frame and kept on swaging I'd break the next one too - bullet presses handle about 1/3rd the working pressures of a true steel swaging press....
4) I'm not like that
5) If we abuse the really good equipment makers, they tend to go out of business.....

grin.....

So send me thoughts on the swage presses you've used please.

I'll likely check about buying a replacement RCBS frame or donating my press to someone for parts.
I suggest you ask RCBS for the frame. Your fault or not? I think not. It should not break unless you used a bar on the handle to increase leverage.

Point taken on needing a swag. So - fix the press AND get a new swaging press. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Grey_Lion

I've found sets of press plans out there, but by the time to buy the materials and get a machine shop to do the major work on the piece, you've typically hit anywhere from $800 to $1300 in expenses and might as well have just bought the Corbin to begin with - and they know it...... :(

and it looks more & more like Larry Blackmon is out of business, but maybe he'll reply to my email - I'll update here if I hear anything back.

BumbleBug

I'm using a RCE Sea Girt press & have had zero swaging problems. Seems like it has more power & stamina than I'll ever need. At a reasonable cost too.

JeepHammer

I'm scratching my head...
Why use a loading press to swage with so many little swaging machines out there?
Dillon makes one for about $100 that does a wonderful job, and with the 'Rubber Band Upgrade' it's MUCH faster than a press...
Rubber band makes it self ejecting, in case you haven't seen the videos.

BBarn

Why use a loading press to swage with so many little swaging machines out there?

Mr. Huntington designed his RCBS (Rock Chuck Bullet Swage) press to swage bullets. His original use was swaging jacketed 22 cal. bullets from spent 22LR cases. Not sure if it was originally suitable for much larger stuff though.

Last edited:
Can't tell by the pix? Your press is it the newly marketed Rock Chucker Supreme?

Haven't done any bullet swagging on my old pig iron made Chucker. But I have swagged some work hardened big cartridge brass down to its little cousins over the years. Never incurred a press break down~~yet. "Just muscle fatigue." :eek:

BumbleBug

Why use a loading press to swage with so many little swaging machines out there?...

I agree.

For the most part, a true swaging press works upside down from a reloading press. That is why when using a reloading press to swage, you need a contraption added over the top of the press to eject cores & bullets.

Jim Watson

I would test RCBS's warranty and see if they would replace the press for reloading AND get a dedicated swaging machine.

FrankenMauser

I'm surprised you popped the frame. Most guys that break RC IVs while swaging see the link arms fail - or, rarely, the toggle block (at the link arm pivot(s) or handle attachment).

Bbarn, to swage cast lead BULLETS to size, not try and reform brass cases into bullets!
Nope.
Fred Huntington's original intent was a press capable of swaging brass cases and lead cores into varmint bullets. As the design evolved, it took on the form of a swaging press capable of accepting standard reloading dies.

What does it matter, anyway? Your original argument started with the assumption of swaging primer pockets, which was incorrect. Yet, you're still being confrontational about the ACTUAL subject.