Roberts renominated for Chief Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice
"This nomination certainly raises the stakes in making sure that the American people and the Senate know Judge Roberts' views fully before he assumes perhaps the second most powerful position in the United States," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee's Administrative Oversight and the Courts Subcommittee, in a written statement.

"Judge Roberts has a clear obligation to make his views known fully and completely at the hearings, and we look forward to them."
Since the Saturday death of Chief Justice Rehnquist, speculations have been running rather wild on the Law blogs.

With the passing of Rehnquist, there arose the possibility of three senate confirmation hearings... Two for Associate Justice positions and one for the nomination of the constitutionally mandated Chief Justice slot (Art I Sec. 3 clause 6).

A lot of speculation preferred Scalia or Thomas for this position, but those with more savvy, predicted that Bush would cut the political bloodbath to a minimum and renominate Roberts for the CJ slot, thus only having to fight one additional battle for the remaining Supreme Court position.

This makes a lot of sense, in that there has been no real opposition to Roberts. One might conclude that despite the rhetoric from those like Schumer, above, Roberts will be speedily approved (75 - 25 anyone?).

This also raise the issue of who is replacing O'Connor? Is Roberts still O'Connors' replacement who is being named Chief Justice? Or is Roberts now the replacement for Rehnquist?

Technically, Roberts was nominated as an Associate Justice, a replacement for O'Connor. This must be rescinded and replaced with a nomination for Roberts as the Chief Justice. Since the death of Rehnquist, the hearings that had been set for Tuesday, were rescheduled for Thursday or possibly next Monday, out of respect for Rehnquist, whose Funeral will be Wednesday. So there is adequate time to speak to the paperwork shuffle.

Now what remains is who Bush will nominate as a new replacement for O'Connor. O'Coonor has already said she will not change her resignation and will stay on until her replacement is confirmed. As it stands, Justice Janice Rogers Brown (newly on the D.C. Circuit) seems to be the front leader....

Anti-
Your insight into these matters is always of interest to many of us. Please keep it coming.

Despite cutting the battles from three to two, this move blew me away. In the first place, it's a clear slap in the face to Scalia and Thomas. In the second, as O'Connor has shown, until they are on the bench, SCOTUS justices are simply unknown quantities. Given that this is likely to be a decades long appointment, Bush is really rolling the dice big time, IMHO.
Rich

Wildalaska

As it stands, Justice Janice Rogers Brown (newly on the D.C. Circuit) seems to be the front leader....

That would be the politcal coup of this administration....sets up 2008!

WildcondiAlaska

USP45usp

I feel the same way, Scalia should have been nominated for the top spot. Roberts is too much of a wildcard IMHO that could easily go the way of ginsburg (bad with spelling names).

Rogers Brown I think would be a good justice, don't know much about her except that she seems to have a good head on her shoulder.

Right now, contrary to the wants of the dems/libs (face it, you LOST! get over it allready), a more conservative (read, Constitutionally based) court needs to be built.

The 2nd will come up sooner or later with the question that needs to be asked and ruled upon, is it an individual Right. This will start the first of many (going to the term "shall not be infringed" as in relation to what arms are able to be had by the People).

We need to ensure that the 2nd is ruled via the strict confines of the Constitution and not as a "living document".

Wayne

jrklaus

I don't know, but I suppose it is possible that Justices Scalia and Thomas have made known to the president in the course of preceding months that they did not wish to be Chief Justice? Either one of them would have been very much to my liking as Chief Justice, but they may not have wanted the job. Just a thought....

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Rich, and anyone else interested in my opinions:

First, it might be well to remember that 11 of the past 16 Chief Justices that were nominated and confirmed, did not come from the Court. So it is nothing unusual for Bush to make this nomination.

A lot of people on the gun boards looked at Scalia or Thomas to have been nominated as the successor to Rehnquist. There are some very good reasons why neither were chosen.

Justice Scalia has not been a consensus maker. Very often, he is at odds even with his fellow conservatives. He has a tendency to write rather scathing remarks about opposition opinions, regardless of who they (the opposition) might be. He seems to respect no one, unless their opinion is in sync (if even partly) with his own. In this, he is contentious and is ill suited to bring consensus within the Court. An ability that Rehnquist had in spades (even when Rehnquist was the lone dissenter).

My own opinion is that I would have disliked having Scalia as Chief Justice for one reason alone. His tendency to hold precedence above reproach. This is most exemplified by his separate decision in Raich. An adherence to Stare Decisis, while generally a good idea, is absolutely wrong when decisions are made solely because of a previous decision. This has led to the creep of additional powers of the Federal Government, over and above what is Constitutional.

We have, as a group, often lamented upon the intrusion and expansion of the Commerce Clause. It is the root of all the Federal gun laws that we detest. And it can all be looked at through eh eyes of one decision in the mid 20th century: WICKARD v. FILBURN, 317 U.S. 111 (1942). I have often written about this seminal case, so I won't bore anyone with it here, other than to say that it was because Scalia would have had to revisit this case, that he decided to go with the majority of the Court in upholding the CSA. Even if Scalia had joined the dissent, Raich would still have had the same effect, only it would have been a 5-4 decision instead of 6-3.

As a Chief Justice, one would expect Scalia to side with whichever side was amenable to upholding prior precedent. Bush knows this. There are several cases coming up that Bush would want decided in his favor, but some of these cases would depend upon overturning prior precedence and Bush could not count on Scalia doing this.

Justice Thomas, on the other hand, would have been a more problematic nomination. If you thought that his initial confirmation hearings were bad, they would be as nothing compared to what a nomination as Chief Justice would entail. Most notably because in most all of his published opinions, Thomas has held constant upon the textual interpretation (what did the text mean when it was written, as opposed to what the text means now) of the Constitution as it applied to the case at hand. No one on the left would want a Textual Originalist to direct how the Court might proceed. Their beloved "living Constitution" might actually become dead in the water. Thomas relies upon Stare Decisis only when the text of the Constitution is ambiguous. That is most likely the way such things should be decided, but even here, Thomas has voted on more than one occasion to uphold the seeming expansion of Federal powers. While Thomas may be my personal choice for Chief Justice, even I have disagreed with some of his opinions (can't please everyone, yes?).

Bush simply doesn't have the political capital necessary to push for a Thomas nomination. Nor would he. It is already apparent to Bush that Thomas would not side with his administrations handling of the Gitmo prisoners. That alone knocked him off any list.

Other political concerns are that with O'Connor retiring, Bush really needs to find another woman to appoint to the High Court. Brown fullfills that criteria. Plus she is black and that plays into the race card and the left would be hard pressed to use that against her. But while Justice Janice Rogers Brown is a conservative, she is also a libertarian, when it comes to social cases. As a sitting Justice on California's Supreme Court, she has had many dissents on cases that would have (and did, many times she was the only dissenting opinion) expanded governmental powers to help the socially disadvantaged. She truly believes the libertarian concept of smaller government. She has routinely ignored precedent, even precedent set by the Supreme Court of the US. Like Thomas, she is a Textual Originalist.

Nominating her, would provisionally make Kennedy the swing vote, and he has often been so anyway. It would not upset the makeup of the Court all that much and perhaps would do more good in the long run.

But such a nomination would be fought tooth and nail by the left. I don't know that Bush could pull it off, as I said, he no longer has the political capital to spend. So while I would really love to see this gentlelady on the Court, in reality I don't expect it.

More than likely, it will be a surprise nomination, like that of Roberts. A virtual unknown that will be hard to make any case against, other than Bush appointed them.

So who could it be? Some speculate that Justice Edith Brown Clement (5th Circuit) might be in the running (although a few have used the label, "Souter in drag," in response to this...). Others think that Judge McConnell might be a good conservative pick. McConnell was appointed to the Tenth Circuit by Bush in 2002. McConnell was a Law Prof, prior to nomination. Others bandied about are Prof. Eugene Volokh (UCLA) and Orin Kerr (GWU).

Regardless, what it will come down to is who Bush is comfortable with. One of his most endearing attributes is his belief in his own judgment of character... And it may be his worst fault, at the same time.

An end note: Gonzales is not on any list, IMO. It would alienate his Republican base.

publius42

Wow, I was going to deliver a brief tirade about why Scalia permanently ripped it in my book with Raich, but I see a more detailed analysis is already here. Thanks, Antipitas.

Redworm

a more conservative (read, Constitutionally based) court needs to be built.

Does more conservative always mean constitutionally based? I mean unless I've been misinterpreting things the past few years it's the conservatives that want to ban gay marriage, abortion, and don't seem to have a liking for privacy.

Is there something I'm missing? Usually to me the term "conservative" conjures up images of a pasty white bible thumper who wants to solidify a connection between the church and state. But then again it's probably as assanine a conclusion as thinking the term "liberal" refers to a tree hugging hippy that hates guns and supports PETA.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'd just really like to know what y'all think the difference is between a religious right conservative and a conservative that just wants to uphold the constitution. The very definition of the word "conservative" seems a might worrisome when talking about someone in public office. I don't want someone to be conservative with my freedoms.

Zekewolf

Good analysis. However, simply saying that neither Scalia nor Thomas would likely have been confirmed by the Senate would also have cut to the core of the nomination's considerations.

Eghad

I see no reason for Roberts to not be confirmed. I commend President Bush on this choice.

Some Jusitces to papraphrase the quote from Forrest Gump are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to exactly get till you open the box and bite into it.......

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Zekewolf wrote:
Good analysis. However, simply saying that neither Scalia nor Thomas would likely have been confirmed by the Senate would also have cut to the core of the nomination's considerations.
Thank you.

If I had done just that, what kind of "analysis" would that have been? Anyone could have said the above. And many would have agreed, but many more on this board would not have.

Yet, wouldn't we still be left wondering just why the Senate wouldn't confirm them? Wouldn't we also want to know just why Bush wouldn't nominate them? That's the questions I tried to answer.

Anti-
Keep it coming.
Some are at you level and already know the answers; some will skim; some want to learn what they don't know.

I asked the questions that you responded to. I learned much.
Daily analysis of the Hearings is now required! :eek:
Rich

USP45usp

Red,

Since your quoting my words and then asking something that is not really on base with the thread, start a new thread (if it's within the L&P rules).

Right now, I'm more interested in what Antipitas has to say and I don't wish this thread to be shut down :).

I will admit that I should have chosen my words more carefully. I want a strict constitutionalist on the court, I don't care if they happen to be liberal or conservative, my bad.

Wayne

Redworm

er yeah, i'm sorry about that

I need to accustom myself with how these forums work a bit more. I don't mean to stop on toes around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.