Robar no longer doing metal finishing

Only a serial numbered frame or receiver has to go through an FFL. A slide or other part can be done by anybody you trust to do a good job. Just don't expect the refinisher to do gun disassembly or reassembly for you. That goes double if you are sending parts through the mail. Parts only. No serial numbered receiver.

Jim Watson

That's OK if you are dressing up a Plastic Pistol, but the receiver of a metal gun is the first part I would have plated.

SGW Gunsmith

That's absolutely true, but there are some very unscrupulous people who do engraving that will forego being licensed to do things the right way. Just a matter of time until they get a visit.

SGW Gunsmith

Look in the Yellow Pages under Metal Finishing. Any place(or product) that has the word 'gun' or 'gunsmithing' in its name usually just costs more. None of the assorted finishes are exactly proprietary anymore either. Especially industrial hard chrome.

Well, that's only because you're in Canada and nobody likes you.:p;)

I imagine that Cerakote cut into the business for Roguard finishes quite a bit since it is cheaper, easier to do, has more color options, and just as good for 95% of the people looking for a finish.

I believe that leaves NP3 as the only proprietary finish they were doing.

SGW Gunsmith

I use Dura-Coat, and have been for quite some time now on non-bluable parts. It too has many more selections concerning color rather than just one bland color that electroless nickel will do, and it's pretty dang durable also.
During a rebluing job, the Dura-Coat black finish will clean up the aluminum trigger guards on Remington firearms so they look like they just arrived from the factory. DIY, and there's no waiting time, and that's even shorter when the finish is baked on. :D

bamaranger

Black T

Is the "Black T" outfit still in business in Jackson, MS? I've seen some of their work due to their proximity to me, most of it on SIG slides. Can't think of the owner at present, they also did a "Green T"

claydoctor

According to the latest issue of American Handgunner, Robbie Barkmann will continue to offer NP3, NP3+ and other finishes thru coating technologies.com . They have closed the gunsmithing portion of their business. Probably more to it than that but at least NP3 will still be available from the originator.
It's www.coatingtechnologiesllc.com

Banaranger, I believe that’s Walter Birdsong you are thinking of.

Claydoctor, according to Wright Armory’s press release, Coating Technologies/Robbie Barkmann has licensed NP3 to them?

claydoctor

Banaranger, I believe that’s Walter Birdsong you are thinking of.

Claydoctor, according to Wright Armory’s press release, Coating Technologies/Robbie Barkmann has licensed NP3 to them?
Yeah, it's a bit confusing. The AH article implies it's Barrkman contining to do NP3 through this Coating Technologies LLC company but when you go to their site, it states they don't deal with consumers directly and they refer you to several other companies, including Wright's Armory. The article also says Barrkman sold Robar a few years back but retained ownership of the NP3 name and process. As I said, confusing.