Road rage scenario

MTAA

I had a similar situation a couple weeks ago. Just let it slide. Whatever you did you're ok and so are your children.

It's easy to get worked up about these things and think "Woulda coulda shoulda..", ultimately one gets angry and begins to wonder, "Would I have been in the right if I had pulled my gun on that SOB ?" In your case it might have been justified, but the trauma it would have caused your children and the baby sitter would have been exponential.

Lot's of good advice here so far, leaving the scene and driving to a public place probably being the best.

[This message has been edited by MTAA (edited September 26, 2000).]

P

PreserveFreedom

You need to get a pickup truck with a dual gun rack accross the back window. A Mosberg 500 with pistol grip and an "assault rifle" usually work well hanging there. He would never have gotten close enough to hit you. ;)

Tony III:

"That's COP thinking... you should RUN AWAY."

To a point I would agree with you. But sometimes you CAN'T run away.

Pax had her kids in the car. Should she abandon them to a hostile and potentially dangerous individual?

I'd think not.

In that situation, the cell phone and the pepper spray are virtual necessities.

As for "Cop thinking," I WHOLE HEARTEDLY disagree with you on that. It also means having three viable options to prevent escalation of an incident, not just de-escalate it.

I think the last thing anyone here wants to do is shoot someone (I'm hoping to all heaven that we don't have some sick-o here who really wants to shoot someone someday).

The phone and pepper spray give you two very viable opportunities for avoiding that course of action.

If you're also forced to shoot someone, I'd think it would look MUCH better if you can tell the police that you tried option A, which failed, tried option B, which failed, and was finally forced to resort to the final option, C.

Should you run away if the opportunity presents itself? Hell yes!

Should you also have a cell phone and pepper spray? Hell yes, if for no other reason than to: 1) call your broker, and 2) season your French Fries.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

JadedLady

Pax,

What would I have done? Well, I'd have dropped to the ground while grabbing my neck and yelling... 'I can't feel my legs!!.. I can't feel my legs!! :D Then again, I'm a Kalifornia driver where auto vs. auto accidents result in both parties being partially at fault. It then becomes a matter of who can come up with more 'payable' injuries.

Did you know Hubby and his buddy were home? If so, I think I would have climbed back into the van - hit the door locks and laid on the horn.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What if Don and Bob and Julie hadn't been there?[/quote]
I would have climbed back into the van and driven away. You're under no obligation to reason with this guy or to try and
calm him down.

btw: Julie is a gem and I like the pepper spray suggestion.

Apple a Day

Well, things didn't go quite as well as they might have but in general the right things happened.
PRIORITY #1- you gave the sitter and the kids enough time to make it into the house and safety.
I used to live in Georgia where we have these gigantic marsupial rats known as 'opossums'. I believe the name comes from the typical southern phrase people utter when they run over some sort of animal in the road. Thunkthunk!" Oh!... possum!" WHen threatened sometimes they will hold still, which can be a viable defense since those hideous snaggle-toothed vermin have outlived dinosaurs, British rule, and bellbottoms. In your case the same sort of strategy worked but I would suggest a more active role. Playing possum works sometimes but there was this kid, Lloyd, who lived next door, and if he found a possum, moving or not, he would get some lighter fluid and... :eek: well, sometimes standing still doesn't work.
I like the pepper spray idea, personally. We had these other critters which other folks on TFL have encountered, called skunks. They use something similar and although they haven't been around as long as possums, they seem to be doing pretty well and I sure as He!! wouldn't mess with one. My neighbor Lloyd tried it once, though, but it was only that one time. Lloyd may have flunked the third grade twice and never could remember his multiplication tables but he remembered about the skunk after that.
- I am not mocking you, just trying to lighten the mood. Seriously, I am glad everyone is okay. Do something nice for the sitter!
Things worked out pretty well with the kids (ages?). You might want to go over a plan with them and the sitter in case there ever is another similar occurrence. Make a plan so the kids know what to do. You might have them duck down out of sight if a hostile person approaches the vehicle and you are not near the house... You may include it when you train the kids what to do in case there is a fire in the house, someone gets hurt, etc... It's sad when you have to train your kids to deal with such a situation but forewarned is forearmed.
In this case I would try to talk the guy down, be reasonable but firm and keep some distance between you. If he approaches then warn him to keep his distance LOUDLY. Make plenty of noise so that if there is anyone around then they will hear you and come to help. Sounds like this guy made plenty of noise on his own, though. If he continues then since you can't leave the kids, present spray or pistol and warn again. If he attacks then defend yourself and your kids however you can.
My two cents.

------------------
Those who use arms well cultivate the Way and keep the rules.Thus they can govern in such a way as to prevail over the corrupt- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Fast Eagle

Well, simple.

"Get away from me, sir".

No Response, still screaming at you.

Draw weapon, point weapon at ground where he can see it.

"Get away from me, sir".

If still no response or he becomes more inraged or gets an attitude, thinking you won't use your handgun.

Prove him wrong.

Judged by 12? Or carried by 6? Your choice.

Fast Eagle