Rimfire sorting, yes or no?

tangolima

Give Aguilar interceptor a try. It works well for me. But I'm too cheap use it on regular basis. It costs twice much as high speed.

For shooting closer than 100yd, their standard speed (subsonic) is very good.

Don't mind the smell it makes.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stagpanther

Well Taylorce, it sounds like your about to go the Cutting Edge Bullets way!

They make a 22 solid copper bullet and market it with dies.
So if your REALLY interested in small groups, sounds like your gonna start handloading rimfire.
I've been trying for a few years to make cutting edge's 22lr bullets produce the mythical microgroups--my experience is I've been lucky when I come close to equaling the better factory lead cast bullets ammo. There are several reasons for that IMO. First--most barrels are made to optimize conventional 1:16 twist lead bullets, unless you stick with CE's 32 grain bullets you're going to have rough sledding with those kinds of barrels. So you'll need 1:9 twist or better with the bigger bullets and, if I were to do it again, probably ream the chamber and freebore specifically for the solid bullet anticipated to be used. As I mentioned above--tolerances are much smaller in rimfire; the COL, rim thickness and even powder charge weight must be measured in much smaller measurements than conventional primered ammo--a range of charges need hundreths of a grain accuracy for precision. The real promise of CE's solid copper bullets is extra long range (i.e. 600 yds or more); which has been done in terms of "hail Mary passes" making contact but as far as I known they haven't really achieved reliable repeatable consistency at those distances. That supersonic to subsonic transition remains the "boogieman" in 22lr ELR as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

taylorce1

@tangolima,

I know we've been in the weeds with this topic. However, it is ultimately about finding a way to make make my .22 WMR shoot better, not the .22 LR.

tangolima

@tangolima,

I know we've been in the weeds with this topic. However, it is ultimately about finding a way to make make my .22 WMR shoot better, not the .22 LR.
Sorry I lost track of it :)

BTW, do you have raw data of MV versus weight? I can do analysis on it if you wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk