Rifles you can still own in strict areas

HistoryJunkie

Hey all. I live behind the Iron Curtain in Illinois.

As you may know, the powers that be passed an AR ban this year so now we are not allowed to buy semi-automatic rifles that have the "scary" features. It's honestly one of the most brutal gun control laws I've ever read. The state even wants people to register "assault weapon attachments" like pistol grips, etc.

Anyways, I'm looking at my options for long guns that may still be legal under the new regulations. Caliber doesn't really matter as long as it isn't something exotic. I already have 9mm and 5.56 but that doesn't exclude buying another firearm in either caliber.

Things that would be an instant disqualifier to the state are pistol grip, threaded barrel, greater than a 10 round mag, folding/telescoping stock.

I'm also not opposed to buying a lever/bolt gun if it comes down to that, but I'm left handed and there are a lot less options. Also, this gun could potentially be used for HD so that makes a bolt or lever a lot less attractive.

HistoryJunkie

I'm not sure of the specifics of the law there, but the Ruger Mini-14 with 5 or 10 round mags appears to meet the requirements.

In your shoes I'd also be looking at semi-auto or pump action shotgun with a shorter barrel intended for turkey hunting. They don't look as evil but are just as effective. Something like this

https://www.remarms.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-sps-turkey
Thanks for the input! I have been considering the Mini. From the information I have read it appears that it would still be legal as long as it is the non-tactical version without a threaded barrel.

It was pretty much my first thought. I got to say that I'm not thrilled about paying 1k for a rifle that is known for not great accuracy.

I have thought about the shotgun route too. I have owned a few pumps in the past but never a semi. I also don't particularly care for the battering that 12 gauge gives to the shooter. I know recoil pads exist and so do reduced power shells.

If I was to go with a shotgun, I'd probably get a 20 gauge. Unfortunately the ban affects shotguns in some way too, so I will have to do some more reading on that avenue.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

HistoryJunkie

The Winchester SXR Vulcan...

The Remington 742/7400/750....
I had never heard of this gun until now. It is pretty cool but I'm not sure if it would be right for me.

I don't live in an area with many longer range shooting opportunities and I don't hunt.

Thank you for the suggestion though [emoji846]

Shadow9mm

Fightlite scr..as i understand it its currently communist compliant. Uses a traditionl ar uppers, with a traditionally styled/stocked lower, still accepting standard capabilities ar magazines.

Heres a vided from og's danger show. Pretty sure he is in a commie state. Pretty good overview of the rifle.

https://youtu.be/uXUdhortJ3w?feature=shared

HistoryJunkie

Fightlite scr..as i understand it its currently communist compliant. Uses a traditionl ar uppers, with a traditionally styled/stocked lower, still accepting standard capabilities ar magazines.

Heres a vided from og's danger show. Pretty sure he is in a commie state. Pretty good overview of the rifle.

https://youtu.be/uXUdhortJ3w?feature=shared
I would definitely consider the SCR but the threaded barrel for sure and the railed handguard(maybe) would be a disqualifying feature.

seanc

An SKS with an original, fixed, 10 round magazine is legal. With a little practice, they can be reloaded pretty fast with stripper clips, or by the handful via the Jerry Miculek method.

I wouldn't try a plain-jane Mini-14. The tactical is explicitly listed as banned, but since the non-tactical models can easily take standard capacity magazines, you might run into trouble there. For what you'd spend on a lawyer to get yourself free when Barney Fife takes you in, you could buy another SKS.

Shadow9mm

Did some looking, is the new law basically, if it accepts a detachable magazine it is a "assult rifle" if it has
A folding or telescoping stock
A barrel shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non trigger hand without burning themselves.

Is thst right? Hb 5522? https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/102/HB/10200HB5522.htm

If so, does a standard ar handguard count as a shroud?

Shadow9mm

Technically speaking, the M1 Garand does not have a detachable magazine, so it should be fine right?

Last edited:

Hellcat1

Along the same lines as the Ruger Mini 14, you might want to consider this new M1 carbine variant, made by Chiappa, in 9mm: https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/500.136/m1-9-carbine-wood-blued-9mm-19-bbl

I just bought a WWII era M1 carbine, in 30 carbine caliber, and it's a lot of fun to shoot...and very accurate. I would imagine that the Chiappa is very similar, but in much cheaper and more readily accessible 9mm. Here's a pic of the Chiappa M1 Carbine:

198705.jpg

Another bonus of the above rifle is that it uses standard Beretta 92 style magazines

Frank

ballardw

Did some looking, is the new law basically, if it accepts a detachable magazine it is a "assult rifle" if it has
A barrel shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non trigger hand without burning themselves.

Actually if that wording is accurate it tells me that any rifle stock forward of the action makes it an assault rifle. "Partially encircles" sure sounds like any of the bolt actions I've had as they allow holding the firearm with the non-trigger hand without burning myself.

Shadow9mm

Actually if that wording is accurate it tells me that any rifle stock forward of the action makes it an assault rifle. "Partially encircles" sure sounds like any of the bolt actions I've had as they allow holding the firearm with the non-trigger hand without burning myself.
Based on the language I would think that they are considering a barrel shroud to be a separate part from the stock, but who can say what they mean when they don't seem to understand the subject.

HistoryJunkie

That is correct and it isn't exactly clear about what they consider a handguard/barrel shroud.

The law and the State Police regulations don't appear to be in sync.

HistoryJunkie

Along the same lines as the Ruger Mini 14, you might want to consider this new M1 carbine variant, made by Chiappa, in 9mm: https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/500.136/m1-9-carbine-wood-blued-9mm-19-bbl

I just bought a WWII era M1 carbine, in 30 carbine caliber, and it's a lot of fun to shoot...and very accurate. I would imagine that the Chiappa is very similar, but in much cheaper and more readily accessible 9mm. Here's a pic of the Chiappa M1 Carbine:

198705.jpg

Another bonus of the above rifle is that it uses standard Beretta 92 style magazines

Frank
Honestly that would be neat if they make a model without a bayonet lug. That is a no no too.

rc

Let's see if I can summarize.
Springfield Armory M1A is your most expensive and heavy option.
Mini 14 and Mini 30 are viable options.
Ruger 9mm or 40 PC carbines
Henry Homesteader in 9mm, Henry Lever gun in 327 Federal
Marlin, Rossi or Henry lever gun in 357 mag or 44 mag
M1 Carbine if you can find one at a reasonable price.
Chiappa 9mm
Marlin Camp 9 and Camp 45.
SKS with fixed magazine