Rifle newbie looking for suggestions.

idek

how about a nice used Winchester 30-30? lots of good used ones available and easy to shoot. good deer gun to 100 yards.
I also think a 30-30 could be a good option. Although I'd maybe suggest a Marlin 336 instead of a Winchester. Easier to put a scope on and more abundant (and, therefore,better priced). I'd also say it's good well beyond 100 yards... 200 yards or better is doable.

If sticking to a bolt gun, I bought my first one not too long ago. Like the OP, I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on something I had limited experience with. I considered the Ruger American and Savage mostly. I ultimately went with a Savage, largely because it has more aftermarket support and is better suited to modifications such as barrel swaps down the road.

Last edited:

CALAMBE

Savage Axis are great guns. Smooth action. No binding in the bolt like Rem 770. Great variety of calibers. I printed out a silver dollar sized group at 25 yds. I have even hit a golf ball at 100 yds with it.

Rangerrich99

Another vote for a Savage or a Ruger. I have a Savage Model 110 in .30-06, which has been a great deer rifle for me. However, knowing what I know now about .308/.30-06, I'd have gone with the short action Model 10 in .308 win. It's an excellent round for deer out to at least 250 yards, anywhere they sell ammo they sell .308, everyone that makes a deer rifle makes one in .308, everyone that makes ammo makes .308, and the list just goes on and on.

RAfiringline

>Saw a Remington 742 30.06 at my local FFL for $325.00 and did a quick search here and they don't have good reviews so I am open to suggestions<

The Remington semi automatics have well-earned bad reputations. The only good non assualt rifle type semi automatic high-powered rifle I can think of is the Browning BAR. Those are nice rifles, but they're a little pricey, usually well above $500.

You might want to look at pump-action Remington's, or just a good Savage axis bolt for $300-$400.

Viper99

Went back to my local FFL and they have a pristine used Tikka T3 Hunter on consignment. Made an offer and they said they would check with owner and get back to me. They also have a great looking Axis for $350 OTD. Lets see what happens with my offer first.

Downside on the Tikka is that is in .270 not 30-06.

marine6680

270 is a good round.

30-06 is way more bullet than 90% of US hunters need. If you can reliably hunt deer with a 223, why do you need a 30-06 if all you do is deer hunting.

If you plan on hunting larger animals like moose, elk, and bear, then a 30-06 would be a good way to go. 270 would work too.

So with a 270, you should be good for just about anything, with the proper load.