Rifle for first deer hunt?

woodland

Thanks for all the replies! I am now torn between just going cheap, and getting a NEF, or getting something nice, that would be something they could hand down to their kids and become an heirloom.

Decisions, decisions! :mad:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
An NEF can be handed down... And how cool will it be in 20-25 years to be a kid getting an "antique" looking rifle handed down from your dad...:D
Brent

dipper

Woodland,
I just have to ask, are 7 and 9 year olds legally permitted to hunt in your state?
I mean actually carry a firearm and harvest an animal.
In the states I have hunted it was always 12 year old min.
Just curious.

Dipper

T. O'Heir

Check the legalities of a 7 year old to be hunting before you do anything. There's no minimum age for the Hunter's Safety Course, but there may be special rules for kids that age to be out hunting. You'll have to go with 'em for classes too. And don't expect either of 'em to spend the whole day sitting in a blind.
"...that would be something they could hand down to their kids and become an heirloom..." Anything you buy will be that.

bigghoss

I'm partial to NEF/H&R singles myself a handi-rifle in .243 would make an excellent first center fire rifle.

The Meatman

I bought my 10y/o a Mossberg 100atr in a .243 and he shoots lights out with it. I have to find a hunting club so we can get some hunting in this year, and he can take his 1st deer.

woodland

Woodland,
I just have to ask, are 7 and 9 year olds legally permitted to hunt in your state?
I mean actually carry a firearm and harvest an animal.
In the states I have hunted it was always 12 year old min.
Just curious.

Yes, it is legal. Here is a quote from the Washington hunting regs book regarding "Age requirements and restrictions:"

"Youth under 16 need a state hunting license, but not a federal migratory waterfowl stamp. Youth are eligable for reduced license fees."

There is a minimum age for the hunter education classes, and you must have taken the class to get a license, but that is the only age limit.

Yes, I am taking them to the class. They actually do very well in the woods, and can be quite patient. They are not your average 7-9 year olds, if I do say so myself! :D Last week we went for a 5.5 mile hike, and they did great. Even my three year old walked the whole way and loved it.

woodland

Well, thanks to all for all the advice and recomendations. I ended up getting them a Mossberg ATR 100 Super Bantam in .243. It was the package with the 3-9x40 Mossberg scope. (Which is actually a Barska.) I paid about $280 out the door. After playing with it and packing it around in the woods a bit, I may have fallen in love. It is so light and handy! The trigger sucks, but that will get fixed.

They had a successful hunt, which I posted at http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3108923#post3108923 .

Thanks again!