Rifle for first deer hunt?

woodland

Well, this year will be my two oldest boys' first deer hunt. They are 7 and 9, and are familiar with firearms, and have and shoot a Henry Mini-Bolt .22 quite well.

I am trying to decide the best route for taking a deer. Of my rifles the most appropriate one is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts with a 3-9X scope.

What I am trying to decide is whether I should use what I have, or look at getting something else for them. Any suggestions?

I feel the .257 is enough for the small whitetail deer we have, and I am confident in their ability with it with the scope and a good position. It is quite low recoil, and I already have it. However, if there was a clearly better choice I am not opposed to aquiring another firearm! :D

So, lets hear some opinions. I am open to any info.

Spade Cooley

I would go with a shorter stock single shot in 243. You can mount a good quality scope on it and if you need to cut the stock down, you haven't lost much. When they out grow the rifle, sell it to someone else with young boys and upgrade to the 257 bolt gun. Is it NEF that makes the cheap single shot rifles?

MeekAndMild

My 2 cents worth is that if a new hunter can shoot a .257 at the range then they would probably be able to shoot it in the woods. I think that 7 or 9 years old is old enough to go hunting with a parent but I'd not leave a child that age alone on a deer stand...too many things can go wrong. Concerning a regular stock versus a youth stock, if the hunter can manage the regular stock they might have less chance of being bashed in the face by the scope than when shooting a rifle with a shorter stock. This would depend on how far forward the scope is mounted, how well they're been trained and supervised and how excited they get when they see the deer.

Of course there's also the factor that if they really like the rifle they'll want it for their own when they get older. :D

saudst

NEF

Hey Woodland, Cooley has something there. If your sons have a problem with the stock length, get a NEF, cut the stock to fit and reinstall the recoil pad. When they get older, order another stock and install, they are realy inexpensive and you can get NEF to fit other barrels and calibers to that same action. Me and my son have one each and the .243 heavy barrel I have is a real tack driver.

woodland

What is NEF? I was guessing New England Firearms. I just did some searching but so far I am not coming up with much. Any links or model names?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Look up the H&R NEF co. Pardner is the model of the single shots. Rossi makes a 3 barrel combo in youth size called the trifecta in .243, .22lr and a 20ga makes for a versatile learning system.
Brent

maas

i'd use what you have the 257 is a good deer cal. no need to but a new gun now and have them out grow it.

woodland

Ok, I spoke too soon. I had not had the .257 out in a long time, and thought it was shorter than it is. It is just too long of a pull for them, plain and simple. So! I guess I am now officially researching for a suitable rifle.

I did find some NEF ones, and they do look pretty good. And much lower priced than others. Definately one to consider.

HOGGHEAD

Stocks

Several years ago Winchester had a program with their youth rifles where they would supply a full size stock when the "youngin growed up". You might want to shop around a bit. You might be able to pick up one of the youth stock's for a good price. And your Model 70 should fit the stock. At least well enough for the "youngins". Tom.

7mm-08

Maybe something like this might work for you.

G26240.JPG

CALIBER: 243 WIN
TYPE ACTION: BOLT
BARREL LENGTH: 20"
OVERALL LENGTH: 42"
WEIGHT: 7 LBS
RATE OF TWIST: 1 TURN IN 10"
METAL FINISH: MATTE BLUE
MAGAZINE CAPACITY: 5
DETACHABLE MAG.: NO
HINGED FLOOR PLATE: NO
OPEN SIGHTS: WEAVER STYLE BASES
STOCK FINISH: BLACK
STOCK MATERIAL: SYNTHETIC
CHECKERING: YES
RECOIL PAD: YES
SLING & SWIVELS: MOLDED SWIVELS
BOSS SYSTEM: NO

woodland

Hey 7mm-08, what is that rifle? I am guessing maybe a Browning, because it mentions a BOSS. Looks interesting.

globemaster3

Woodland, I bought my oldest a Weatherby Youth Model at Sportco in Fife about 4 years ago. They make it in .243 and 7mm-08. Comes with a proof target (3 shot, 1/2 inch) and, best of all, 2 stocks. A shorter one with a 13" length of pull and a normal adult-sized stock. Capped it with a Nikon 3-9X40 and was walking out the door with everything mounted for ~$550. Just a thought.

Remington also has a youth bolt. I think its the 770 Youth model. Same caliber selection, but its not very easy on the eyes. But if it works... Package deal with a cheap 3-9X40 at my local Wally World will run you just under $400. They also have a model 7 youth model, but you can expect to pay considerably more for it.

The NEF Handi-Rifle is a great choice as well. I've handled a few at gun shows and keep telling myself I should get one. Everyone I know who has one (about 5 people total) all report great accuracy.

6thMichCav

Youth rifle

I think a Ruger Frontier in .243, .260 Remington, or 7mm-08 would be ideal. Here's why:

--It already has a "short" stock. While I liked it because I bundle up heavily in Michigan for deer season and I need a shorter stock for a good sight (scope) picture, it is also quite handy and no disadvantage in warmer weather.

--The calibers offer less recoil than most standard calibers, and would be comparable to what you experience with your .257 Roberts. Too bad Ruger doesn't make them in .257, 7x57, or 6.5x55! Those would be great choices, too.

--The gun is relatively short and easy to balance, which is a good thing for younger shooters.

--The kicker, to me, is the option of mounting the scope in the traditional position, or forward on the barrel with an extended eye relief scope. This adds the "neat" factor that would make the rifle a keeper for years, and not just a youth rifle.

--The downside of a Ruger Frontier is the trigger. Mine is too heavy and too creepy. I understand fully that you can replace it with a Timney or a Jewel, but you shouldn't have to replace the trigger on a brand-new gun.

Then again, you can always look for another Featherweight, a Remington Model 7, or a Browning MicroHunter in a suitable caliber. All would be acceptable in my book. If you reload, so much the better; load 100 to 120 grain bullets from 2000 to 2500 fps depending on how far you expect to shoot, and have them practice before they hunt.

And good for you--you didn't start them out with 12 gauge slugs in a 20-inch barrel like someone I know...:rolleyes:

welder05

Woodland
Several folks have spoken about the NEF 243 I had one and traded because I could not find a good load. Various factory loads were all over the place and my reloads did not do much better. In all fairness to NEF many folks will tell you they are great rifles but there are some that have had other experiences.
I have brought my son through the stages of deer hunting and if I had to do over again I would purchasse a Stevens (made by savage) a super shooter that tends to hold its value should you wish to trade in or up later and also available in Kid friendly calibures.
Good luck

Firepower!

This should probably be in HUNT section but anyway....

If you want to keep buying a rifle for every different size game you hunt in North America then it is really upto you. After all it is fun to shop for an event.

But if you want one solid rifle that will drop anything available to hunt then you should pick a classy 7mm Rem. Magnum. One rifle that does everything when it comes to hunting.

I came to this conclusion after threads and threads of debate here and some practical experience.

7mm-08

It is a Mossberg 100 atr super bantam,thought it might be a good idea as you are starting your child hunt at a young age (its 12 years old in Manitoba) and he can grow into his rifle.