Rifle advice...

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Reloading is a great question, while I do not three of my hunting buddies do so as it wouldn't be as cheap as if I did, it'll still beat buying good ammo off the shelves.

Just so you know, it is illegal for them to produce ammo for sale without the appropriate FFL.

You can buy the components and they can make you the ammo *for free* or you can use their equipment but they can not charge you for making ammo unless they are licensed.

tynimiller

Peet...I'd be buying everything, and "we'd (me watching)" would make them. :D

Also to the one who said "non-shooter" I shoot alot, just when it comes to deer hunting I'm a bow blooded guy and just don't get as big of a high out of gun hunting, however I shoot large caliber rifles on ranges enough to be familiar with recoil :D

skoro

My thoughts had me to .270 or 30-06.....but anyone have another or a reasoning to choose one over the other?

For your stated purposes, either would be a good choice. Personally, I prefer the 30-06 for its ability to handle heavier rounds, but that's just me.

jimbob86

The ML is all ya need. Save yout money.

Save your money? Why? They are printing it non-stop, so while you may hold on to it, it is worth less every day ........ The same rifle you buy today will cost two or three times as much in a few years, if you can get it at all.

Look at the price of ammo, milk, or just about any other commodity: How much did you pay for it 5 years ago, and what are you paying for it today?

KBmmr2

For the man that mostly bow hunts with some ML thrown in, I'd think a modern bolt gun in 270 or 30-06, while it would work perfectly, would take some time warming up to for you really enjoy it.

Since you got the close up Indian hunting pretty much covered why not think Cowboy rifle. My favorite for what you describe would be a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. (used one of course. Marlin of New Haven, CT)

Lots of history in both the gun and caliber, a proven Deer and Black bear gun. It's also been proven to take any whitetail, blacktail or Muley that has ever or will ever live and within it's range limits is a fine Elk and Hog rifle as well. As for ruining meat, most folks say "You can eat right up the the hole."

Several people make ammo for it. I don't suppose you'd reload for occasional use only. If need be, you can use the Hornady 200 grain leverlution loads out to 200 yards or so. But I suspect that would be only an emergency shot for you. It's not too heavy, takes a scope and is fun to shoot.

I think you'd enjoy hunting with that gun cause as you are used to, a Marlin 35 Rem puts the hunt back into hunting instead of using a sniper rifle.

Just my 2cents.

Picher

The .270 Win is a great deer cartridge, especially with 130 grain bullets. That said, for deer, the .30-06 is as good or better, but IMHO, only when using 150-165 grain bullets. Picking 125 (varmint bullet loads), some 180s, and all 200+ grain bullets won't do as well as other calibers with a good deer bullet.

The reason a .30-06 is better for the average hunter is that it makes a bigger hole, helping to find a blood trail a bit better. The 165 grain bullet provides a bit of margin for hitting a small tree with a deer standing close behind it.

That said, factory "Managed Recoil" loads are okay for deer to 200 yards and can make practice more comfortable. They're available for .270 Win, .30-06, and several other calibers. A .30-06 with managed recoil rounds feels more like a .30-30 Win.

For the record, I prefer the .270 Win, probably because I handload and often use bullets that can't be found as loaded ammo. I also hunt where 400 yard shots are more common than in other Maine hunting locations; and usually from very a stable rest. The .270 Win is a flatter shooting cartridge, but under 300 yards, there's little trajectory difference between the '06 and .270 Win. Most people shouldn't be shooting beyond 250 anyway, especially from field shooting positions.

jehu

It's all personal preferance as stated before. The 270win. is a great cal. and Hornaday is making a 140gr Superperformance SST(Ballistic TIP) that I am eager to try out. Also the 308 is a time tested cal. that is easy to find good factory ammo for. In todays world most rifles from reputable manufactuers will be hunting accurate so my advise would be to spend 2X the amount of your rifle on good optics.