RIA 1911 10mm

In my forever pursuit in collecting 1911 variants. I thought my next one would be a Springfield Ronin. Alas, Palmetto State Armory had their RIA 1911 10mm on a major sale.

I believe they're just a rebranded Norinco/Charles Daly Phillipine one. I've been reading positive reviews on how well made they are for the price. Figured for $400, (it has since increased to $430) I can't go wrong. If it ends up being a reliable shooter, I'll be less inclined to cry if it gets scratched while hiking in the woods compared to my Springer.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/rock-island-rock-ultra-fs-10mm-8-round-pistol-parkerized-51991.html

HiBC

I've cut way down on buying new guns but I do find that one interesting.

In my limited experience, the Philipine 1911's are good,solid guns. Seems like a bargain!

On my experience,the Philippine magazines could be better but Brownells can fix you up!

Last edited:

Nodak1858

I have a RIA in 10MM , I love it. Zero issues, shoots well, even picked up a 40 cal barrel for it. If you are on the fence on it I say go for it. That was the gun that got me in to 10mm. Now have a number in that caliber, just picked up a G40 Glock yesterday in fact

chris in va

I won a Citadel/RIA 45 in a raffle. It was having extraction issues, crunching the last brass. Turns out the extractor was rotating too much so I had to install aftermarket parts to snug up the sloppy machining.

Not dissuading you from getting one but just know you may need to buy some parts to bring it up to speed.

Recycled bullet

I purchased a citadel ria 9 mm and it shoots a group about a foot and a half high and trending left at 50 yards. The front sight is too short for me and I need to drift the rear sight over to compensate. The very first shot, the first time I shot it the magazine broke, floor plate and spring went flying out at high speed and dumped the mag guts and ammo everywhere. I was very glad it was not a gun explosion [emoji1787]

jetinteriorguy

Anyone who has issues with an RIA product needs to just contact them, they have excellent CS, at least they did three years ago when they rectified issues I was having with the conversion .22TCM barrel on my 9mm 1911. They sent me a shipping label, fixed and returned it in less than two weeks, and shipped it to me all at no charge. I even informed them I’d purchased it used and no problem. Hopefully they still are providing such excellent service.

Nodak1858 said:
Zero issues, shoots well, even picked up a 40 cal barrel for it.

Where did you get your barrel?

jetinteriorguy said:
Hopefully they still are providing such excellent service.

Several acquaintances/friends have had great CS from them. This is one major point in consideration when I shop. Hence, the reason why I will never buy a Kimber again....unless it's a Clackamas.

44caliberkid

If you buy it, before you change or adjust the sights, if needed, get about 200 rounds through it. I have four different Philippine 1911s, 38 Super, 10mm and 45. Three of them changed POI from the first shots to 200-300 rounds. I think the lock up needs to wear in. Make sure you keep some oil on the lugs during break in.

bamaranger

mine

I bought a RIA GI standard full size 1911a1 pattern pistol in June of 2021. If I recall correctly, I started a thread on the pistol at that time. The pistol now has 344 rds fired to date. I have tweaked the pistol a wee bit as follows:
-early on I added a square bottom firing pin retaining plate to reduce
frame battering. Reliability was not effected and the pistol feels to shoot
"softer" resultantly
-I also added a space plastic "shok buff" from Dillons on the recoil spring
assembly with the same goal. Again, function was not effected and the
pistol seems to not slam about so harshly.
-I sent the slide off to Harrison Consulting in GA to have a set of his
"retro sights" installed, the tenon variety. I just could not see the GI
sights with my 60+ eyes. I had the extra tall front sight installed
and filed POA/POI with my 180 grain loads.
-I had the face of the slide stop lever dimpled ever so slightly to accept
the corresponding plunger a bit more securely. The pistol was displaying
a tendency to slide lock prematurely with some magazines. A pal had
a small hobby mill and had done a similar job on another 1911
for me

The pre-lock problem has been the only reliability issue, providing I run Metalform mags. It appears that RIA uses Metalforms, at least in that pistol. Ruger mags run fine as well, and they appear to be made for them by Metalform. A pair of EAB mags have been problematic. The dimple job solved the pre-lock problem early on, and I have not had any feed issues using Metalforms/Ruger mags thus far. If I could have seen the GI sights I would have left them on the gun. It shot exactly to point of aim with the GI sights. The gun feeds truncated FMJ 180 reloads, , W-W Silvertips (factory), and Hornady XTP hollow point 180 and 200 gr reloads reliably.
I get 1205 fps from my 180 grain jacketed loads, and that suits me just fine. I recently worked up a 200 gr lead SWC load at 1050 fps as a practice round, it lands a bit low, but close enough for more affordable practice.

My notes show the ticket price on the gun was $409.00 at Rural King.....$446 out the door. I consider it money well spent.

Work has kept me from getting out to the range the last couple of months.

I'll be sure to wait on adjusting the sights until a get a couple hundred rounds through it.

The supplied magazine appears to be less than desirable.

Crankylove

The supplied magazine appears to be less than desirable.

I’ve got two RIA 1911’s. An officers size .45 (or whatever they call it) that my father in law gave me. And a full-size 9mm (that I bought a .38 Super barrel and mags for).

The 9mm runs great with the factory mags, and the Wilson .38 Super mags I picked up. Haven’t had a single malfunction in the year I’ve had it.

The .45 was back to the factory twice in the first 1 year my father in law owned it, he couldn’t get through a single mag without malfunctions. He tried different ammo, different holds, different shooters, made no difference. Failure to feeds, and failures to lock open being the most common. Each time it was sent back, with the mags that came with it, RIA said it was fine. He got tired of it and gave it to me. I had the same issues, and just tucked it in the safe. When I ordered the Super mags, I also picked up three of the Wilson 47’s for the .45. Haven’t had an issue since, and it’s become a somewhat regular carry gun now.

Wilson Combat 47Ds have always been popular with 1911 folks, along with CheckMate. I've had VERY bad experience with Wilson ETMs and don't recommend them to anyone.

Lurch37

[QUOTEWilson 47Ds are my Go-To.][/QUOTE]

I've had good luck with Tripp, Metalform, and Ed Brown mags for my 10mm 1911's.

Did you ever find a .40 barrel? Instead of that could you just download 10mm or do you have a bunch of .40 ammo?

HiBC

Loading down is a good idea.

In my experience (small but slow) buying a barrel that drops in a 1911 pattern gun and fits properly happens on occasion but I would not count in it.

If I was going to order a 1911 barrel it would be a Kart. Thats not to trash any other maker.

FINALLY went to the range.

Pros: Shot very soft in relation to PMC Bronze and local company's hot reloads. I was pleasantly surprised. My guess is RIA might be using a heavier spring than my Springfield. As most other 1911s, it was comfortable to shoot and I'm a fan of using G10 for material on grips. No malfunctions of any kind. Didn't try one-handed or limp wrist treatments to test. I'm a Chapman stance guy and I stayed with that while getting to know the gun. Sights weren't half bad. I like the fiber optic front site. I might go with a green one for better low-light acquisition.

Cons: Trigger was heavier than imagined. I started with this one instead of warming up with another 1911 I'm dialed-in with. Grouping wasn't all that great. As soon as I switched to another firearm, my grouping tightened up immediately. I honestly believe I'm at fault, here. Been out of practice and should have been able to handle the difference in triggers.

Conclusion: For a 1911 variant at this price point, I would highly recommend considering one...so far. I prefer to deal with the manufacturer's customer service before giving the final thumbs-up. But I don't know when I'm going to use them.

MarkCO

I know Shane, the Rock Island 1911 in 9mm is $299. I wonder why they are clearing them out.
There are some FANTASTIC buys out there right now. It do find it interesting that PSA is wholesaling so many firearms from companies that are struggling, in part, due to PSA cutting out the LGS, gaining large shares of the bargain firearms market, and the overproduction of the bargain firearms in the last year or so. Don't take that as a PSA bash. I've bought some things from them too. But we are seeing unprecedented closing of the smaller manufacturers, unloading of excess inventory, etc., which is worrisome.

Hawg

I believe they're just a rebranded Norinco/Charles Daly Phillipine one. I've been reading positive reviews on how well made they are for the price. Figured for $400, (it has since increased to $430) I can't go wrong. If it ends up being a reliable shooter, I'll be less inclined to cry if it gets scratched while hiking in the woods compared to my Springer.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/rock-island-rock-ultra-fs-10mm-8-round-pistol-parkerized-51991.html

Armscor makes Rock Islands in the Philippine's. Armscor made Charles Daly's for awhile but now they're made in Italy. I think by Chiappa. Norinco is made in China. I've had a Rock Island A1 FS tactical in .45 ACP since 2011. All I've done to it is change mags and grips and it's been 100% reliable not to mention accurate.