Revolver shopping for the wife

603Country

The objective is to find a 38/357 for the wife. Mostly it'll be 38's fired in it. I wasn't sure what size would be best for her, so we went to look. The results, so far:

S&W 686 is too big
Ruger GP-100 is too big
Ruger SP model is a good size, but not user friendly for the wife
S&W 60-15 was just about right, and smooth.

I'm open to suggestions. Desired barrel length is 4 inches, though 3 inches might be Ok. Needs a good big hammer, like on a Python or Diamondback. Need a smooth double action. Need good adjustable sights. Need a grip size for her small hands. Needs to be reasonably priced. Used is fine. Stainless is good, but would go with blue if necessary.

Whaddayathink?

FITASC

Used model 10 if she really won't be firing 357; slender grip, slick action, inexpensive, police trade-ins with 4" barrels are great and readily available

testuser79

A new K-frame Model 66-8 Smith and Wesson. Smaller than a L-frame, able to handle the .357 with the new forcing cone design and ball detent lock up. Better trigger than the Model 60 and less recoil at 36 ounces it's not too heavier, either.

rob-c

what about a lcrx ? my wife has a lcr in 38+p and she loves it. plus you can get a purple grip from hogue for it;)

UncleEd

Smith currently offers the Model 66, already mentioned, and also the Model 67,
the Model 15 version in stainless although the new models have a "bull" rather than a tapered barrel.

Best bet from description is on the used market: Smith Model 15, Model 19,
Model 67 or Model 66.

Don't understand why not a fixed sighted model. Is woman planning on target shooting at 25 yards. The old standbys of Model 10s and Model 64s are superb choices. Police and federal agents for decades relied on them with excellent results.

For most people, the idea of using .357s enough to get proficient is a fantasy. Stick with the excellent .38s now available and forget the .357s.

603Country

Lee, the Ruger SP was about the right size, with a good grip, but the action was rough. She had trouble thumbing back the stiff small hammer, and the double action was also rough. The Smith Model 60 had a good hammer that as easy to cock, and the double action was smooth.

Armybrat

Ruger Security Six - in between the SP101 & GP100:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/944227760/Ruger-Security-Six-357-mag-4-inch-blue-wood.htm

Very desirable revolvers.

wm_8316886.jpg

tallball

I bought a new SP101 about a year ago. It has a poor trigger and stiff hammer, too, though it is slowly smoothing out with use.

My friend bought one recently, though, and his is much better.

Apparently some of them are better than others.

My friend has very small hands and it is an excellent fit for him. My ancient pre model 10 was just a little too large.

Last edited:

mattL46

Just acquired a model 36. My first J frame. Head over heels in love with it. I bought the diamond pro pachmeyer grips. The little lady really likes it. She's of the petite frame.

Cosmodragoon

Best bet from description is on the used market: Smith Model 15, Model 19, Model 67 or Model 66.

That's a smart bet. 603Country's description practically screamed "K-frame". These are great guns and older ones won't have that wretched lock hole drilled in the side. I've seen quite a few (especially the .38 special models) in decent condition and for reasonable prices at both gun shows and in the used cases at shops. Keep an eye out and you'll hit the jackpot. :)

ScaryWoody

I have a SP101 that my wife likes to shoot. But it's too big for her to carry. Settled on a S&W Airweight 438 (Hump Back). I did a spring upgrade and it is a sweet shooter. The trick is getting something the wife can shoot and will carry.

jetinteriorguy

Look for a nice used Model 15, 67 or a nice model 14 if you want a longer barrel. If she doesn't like the larger target grips get a set of the smaller ones. These are the sweetest nicest shooting guns there are IMO. No matter how crappy I shoot some days I can pull these out and always look good. Just my $.02.

reddog81

I'd see if she can get a chance to shoot some of the various sized frames. Unless she's going to be carrying it, the bigger the gun the easier it should be to manage the recoil. Most people think the little guns will be easier to use until they realize that the larger guns are easier to hold onto and the weight helps absorb the recoil.
If she's planning on carrying it the model 60 would be a good choice along with the Ruger LCR or any other S&W J frame.

2afreedom

The LCR is a good choice if she can handle the recoil from such a light gun; if not then I have to say a Model 10 snubby is hard to beat and gives you six rounds. The Ruger SP is a tough gun but it falls short in the smoothness and trigger pull compared to the other two choices.

603Country

Well, this isn't going that well. We shot up a bunch of 38 ammo this morning. My evil plan was to let her shoot the Python a bit, then switch to the little snub nose Charter Arms that she says she likes. She'd see that the Charter Arms won't be accurate and I could go buy that Model 60-15 she liked yesterday. She shot the Python like a pro - pretty dang good. Then she shot the Charter Arms snubbie very well too. Says she's perfectly happy with the snubbie.

I wanted a new pistol. I don't get a new pistol. Need new plan.

Side note: that Python is just flat super smooth and super accurate in double and single action.