Revolver or auto for conceal carry?

What do you ccw most of the time?

• Revolver

Votes: 50 37.6%
  • Semi-auto

Votes: 83 62.4%

• Total voters
The revolver probably wins out. I carry my S&W m640 .357mag about 55-60% of the time. That will change once I am working regularly at our new business and need something more concealable. It will then be a Kahr PM9 most of the time.

SWm640.jpg

OttoJara

Smith 64 snubby, 6 shot. I do want to get a Kel-Tec for CC next, I like the size and reliability. It'll be the next gun I buy.

45-70

S&W Model 21, .44 Special

I answered revolver, because that's my answer most of the time. Generally I'm carrying an N-frame Smith, lately a new, 4-inch barrel Model 21 Classic with combat grips off a Model 629 2-inch snub. That or a Model 24. 44 Special, 2-inch snub. If I'm traveling or for some reason have to go to a rougher part of town, I will swap the revolver for a 1911.

Maromero

I answered revolver, because that's my answer most of the time. Generally I'm carrying an N-frame Smith, lately a new, 4-inch barrel Model 21 Classic with combat grips off a Model 629 2-inch snub. That or a Model 24. 44 Special, 2-inch snub. If I'm traveling or for some reason have to go to a rougher part of town, I will swap the revolver for a 1911.

I hear you. It's like going to DEFCON 2.

madmag

I answered revolver, but just by a small margin. The fact is I change my carry gun at times. I do carry a semi at times (XD9) , but mostly I like my Ruger Speed Six .357 for carry. As far as at the range, I shoot my semi's more than my revolvers...just because I like shooting semi's more. But as much as I trust my semi's I give the reliability edge to my revolvers.

I also carry a S&W mod. 36 or mod. 60 at times.

jc650

My 2 carry guns are a SW M&P 340 and Glock 26. I carry the 26 as much as possible so about 60/40 split I would say. Not that I dont like the revolver but the 26 is just soo easy to shoot.

2ndamd

Has anyone here read Ed Lovette's "The Snubby Revolver"?
He and I think alike. He wrote about ECQ (Extreme Close Quarters) fighting. He talks about when your "rolling in the mud and the blood and the beer" (Johnny Cash's song "A Boy Named Sue") a revolver proves it's worth. That has been my experience in life as well. I have been preaching the revolver for such close encounters for many years now and have even quoted Johnny Cash's song as well to others. It was kind of weird to see how closely Ed and I think alike.

Does anyone here know Ed Lovette personally?

That has been my experience in life as well. I have been preaching the revolver for such close encounters for many years now and have even quoted Johnny Cash's song as well to others.
You have sold me...but I was an easy sell. :)

gglass

I love snubby revolvers, but there is no substitute for the flat profile of a pocket semi-auto.

My constant companion... Even when I carry larger:
deadmanslcpec1.jpg

Revolver about 75% of the time,either a Colt Dick Spl. or 3in. mod 65 S&W. Browning Hi-Po the rest of the time. In the past I frequently carried a 1911 but as mine are all stock G.I. models I can't pick up the sights quickly anymore so they stay home.

sdj

This poll might yeild different results if it were run in North America's Summer months. I believe a lot of folks switch over to small revolvers in the Summer.
Good poll, enjoyable reading. :)

skoro

I'm probably around 60-40 in my carry. The 60% is a Kel-Tec PF-9 and the 40% is a S&W 642. Either way, I feel ready for anything I'm likely to face.

2ndamd

PBP: I don't need to sell you a carry method. I think you have most of the bases covered pretty well:) I meant when refering new shooters to the sport.

skoro: Have you read any other books by Ed Lovette? I know he has another book that was written with Dave Spaulding called "Defensive Living". I have not read this one yet. I am not aware of any other books by Mr Lovette. Are you aware of any others?

PBP: I don't need to sell you a carry method. I think you have most of the bases covered pretty well I meant when refering new shooters to the sport.
It still worked though. Whether you meant it to or not. Anytime anyone can mention revolvers and Johnny Cash in the same sentence they have my attention. :)