Revolver Grips... Can't stop buying please help! what do you like?

Venom1956

I've recently been buy alot of aftermarket revolver grips... So I decided to make this post to see what you like and why?

I tend to have pachmayrs on my revolvers but I need more kinds to get! I have Colts, S&W, Ruger, and DW.

TheNocturnus

I suggest buying more revolvers. The plus side is that they come with grips too. 2 birds, one stone kind of thing...:D

Last edited:

gunsmokeTPF

It depends on what gun it's for. My all around favorites are ivory. Being a dinosaur it just feels great in my hand and as it ages like myself it shows character and looks better and better.

If genuine is out of your price range then I'd accept in it's place the faux ivories made from ground up ivory. They're all over the internet. You can age them very simply by letting them sit for a short time in a pot of water with a few tea bags. That's what John Wayne did. For years I believed his grips were ivory.

A close second are nice stags and third are a set of vintage jigged bone grips. I have them on my 90 year old nickel plated colt new service 45LC and it looks great. I'd post photos, but unlike emails it's too confusing for me to do on the forum. I must be getting old.

riomedinamike

There are a lot of grips out in the market.

There are a lot because grips are very personal, and one size does not fit all.

One of my personal favorites are original S&W "coke bottle" grips that came out in the 50's and 60's, but they are really expensive and are usually serial numbered to the gun and not often put on the market.

Eagle Grips makes a reproduction you may want to consider, and they make other styles as well

A lot of folks, including me, like Ahrends and you should always consider Spegel. I have not purchased a pair of Spegels in a while, so I don't know the wait time is, but his grips are without peer.

Herrett is still in this business as well, and I have a pair of "Ropers" that are also excellent.

I also like the "magna" grips with a tyler t-grip adapter.

You have to actually, physically grab hold of the grips, and then shoot the revolver with a specific set, and try different sets, to figure out what is best for you.

For me, after 40 + years, I honestly can't tell you which ones I like as an absolute always best for every situation, but the quest for the best constitutes the fun in the hobby for me.

Auto426

My personal preference is for wood, but I make the occasional exceptions. I don't for finger groves though, as they almost never agree with my hands.

I replaced the Hogues on my GP100 with the original rubber grip with wood inserts, as I find that grip near perfect for that gun. The Hogues on my 629 got replaced with Pachmayr Presentations for shooting magnums and Eagle classic's for light loads and looking pretty. I just replaced the Uncle Mike's round but grips on my 66 with round butt Pachmayr Compac Professionals, since they lack finger groves and provide a nice solid grip on a gun I may end up carrying. I also have a set of Altamont target conversions waiting for the 686 I'm picking up Monday.

There's lots of options out there.

Andy Griffith

Some well figured Herrett customs, Nill Grips, anything by Keith Brown...and well... any well figured and designed wood grip.

Here's a set of well figured Herrett's:

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

Three more sets on different guns:
DSC00431SWs.jpg

A set of laminated Nills:
SW3.jpg

And a bronze T-grip on my 40-1:
DSC00966.jpg

Last edited:

buck460XVR

Grips are like shoes. Some folks can get along just fine with one pair and others need a whole closet full. They are also like shoes in the sense that some are comfortable and feel like an old friend, but they look like 'ell, while others, altho they are pretty to look at...... give you blisters. Some folks will put up with blisters just to look good. Never understood that. Those shoes get left in the closet a lot. Just like guns with uncomfortable grips.

Venom1956

I prefer wood aswell, especially on blued guns. I am not a finger groove guy either. I found a bunch of Pachmayrs for a really good deal so I tried some of them out.

I purchased some for my Colt OMM to preserve the original wood grips and protect the frame from sweat. I honestly don't find those Presentation grips as comfortable as the wood. The extra material makes it feel... strange in hand.

I got some 'gripper' ones for my Redhawk but I got the RHK-G when I ment to get the RHK-G/D with the cushion to see if it would help, While I love my redhawk its far more punishing with its frame then the SRH. I am considering ordering those along with the Hogue Bantam see how those ones feel. Any opinions are welcome.

I just got some Presentation grips for my DW 15 to save the wood ones. they are a little slimmer which makes the gun feel different but I sure I'll get used to it.

I'd love to make my own grips. I think that would be alot of fun. Especially with the DW or GP because you don't have to follow to a frame or anything, skys the limit. I wonder how hard it is to make/buy a blank... with the mounting area already made.

I am not a fan of hogues mono grips I find the bump on the rear of the DA ones uncomfortable plus the bottom of it looks ugly. I did enjoy them on my Blackhawk tho.

Shadi Khalil

I always have to buy a couple sets of grips for a new revolver, just like holsters. Aside from my CT grips on my EDC, I always end up preferring the stocks and grips end up with the holster, in a drawer. I guess sometimes the factory ships them a certain way for a reason.

bds32

For performance, I really like the Herrett's Jordan Troopers. Outstanding set of grips when it comes to heavier recoiling revolvers.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I rarely stick with factory grips, but when I look for aftermarket grips, I like to consider performance and looks.

I've had Hogue rubber Monogrips on my 29 for some time, but, up until a couple of years ago, I didn't realize that they also have a nice selection of wood grips.

I put these on my model 25. They're rosewood laminate with a walnut butt cap.

attachment.php

Casimer

If you like grips, keep an eye on eBay, you'll see all sorts come up for sale. A lot of them are junk but you can find some really nice ones as well.

I'm a big fan of Herrett's as well. Ahrends is another contemporary manufacturer of high quality stocks.

Cemo

Nothing beats the look of nice wood on a revolver but I always stick to rubber grips for comfort and grip.

Almost all of my revolvers wear Hogue black rubber monogrips.

Function over form.

Except I do have a pair of Boone Trading Company ivory-style grips. Look nice.

BigJimP

On most of my revolvers...I prefer wood grips with finger grooves...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77426&d=1326326498

Here are some of my S&W .357 mag revolvers / I really like the older S&W wood grips with finger grooves when I find them ( but I'm having to pay around $ 100 for a pair lately ) ....like the pair on the model 19, S&W,.357 mag, nickel finish at the lower right in this photo.

In my .44 mag ( S&W's ) ....I like rubber Hogue grips on them - especially the shorter barreled guns like this 3" ...that I might carry backpacking in Alaska.....

but the wood still feels good on a range gun ...like the model 29 8 3/8" at the top of this 2nd photo....

Handguns - .44 mag's   Nov 2009 013.jpg