Review Choate New Tactical Stock - Remington 700 Tactical

Palmetto-Pride

I just bought this same stock for my Rem 700 SPS Varmint. I love it I had no problem with mine the factory screws worked fine. I shot it last Saturday and shot .75 MOA, but I have shot less than that before with this same gun. I was having a bad day at the range. I shot this guys .50 Desert Eagle and had a casing hit me in the eye my day was runined after that. Learned good education though always wear safety glasses....lol any way back to stock I will post a better review when I shoot it again.

Toten Kopf

First let me say that it was this original thread that turned me on to the Choate Tactical stock.

Like was previously stated, this stock is built like a tank, no chance on breaking it. Comparing it to the original Houge stock is like night and day.

I do like the side sling mounts as the sling can be installed on either the RH or LH side. Plenty of clearance for the barrel, no problem with the trigger fit.

My SPS-T (.308) fit like a glove, the only mod or additional work, was to use Brownell's longer (allen) stock screws, and I had to cut one of them to fit so the bolt wouldn't hit (rear I beleive). The original stock screws did fit but not to my liking. I wanted them to be flush with the action and they were both a little recessed. I will say that I did copy the OP's rifle somewhat (as it does look cool and is really functional).

I really can't add to what has been said here, some NAME BRAND users look down on this stock but I feel that it is very, very competitive with B&C and HS.

Oh, the wide palm swell fits "my" hand extremely well and if buying another manufacturers stock I would have to add material to the palm swell to get the same feeling. Overall, a pretty nice stock for the price, IMHO.

MVC-661X2.JPG

Last edited:

5RWill

That stock will be on my varmint build for sure. Can't beat it for the price. My McMillan A5 cost me double that.

Also about that sps tactical did remington change their set of tactical barrels to a real heavy barrel? I ask because it looks bigger than my 5R barrel

Last edited: