Results of gun care product evaluation

SleightOfHand

Thank you for the amazing write up. My first exposure to this type of testing was through google searching and I found this thread on arf: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/50...be_Protects_Best___Part_2___Pics_.html&page=1

Based on that test and good reviews I've been using eezox and I was disappointed that It didn't do as well in your testing. Although after glancing at the other thread, I don't think they included any of your top 3 in their test.

It appears now that I'll change my system to eezox for cleaning followed by Hornady for lube and protection. Thanks again.

RodTheWrench

I always believed my Hornady One-Shot to be an effective cleaner/dry lube, but was secretly worried that nothing that easy to use could be the best solution. Now I KNOW it's awesome!

Thank you for your efforts in bringing this test to light!

jmwenzel87

Seriously Impressed

As someone who has been searching for an evaluation like this... Wow. I want to say that you've really done a fantastic job. I did have one question though. With Frog Lube, I think it says that with repeated application, it works better and better. I can't remember exactly what I remember reading, so I think it best to leave at a paraphrase. So I wondered if you would be doing any kind of re-evaluation in the near future, perhaps using your top three contenders? And to keep everything square, do three to five applications of each product. Just my two cents. But again, I would like to commend you. I was very happy to read the thread.

By the way, I'm a police officer and plan to take your results into account when selecting our departments new lubricant of choice. I will be doing some range tests as well, of course. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't test it for myself.

cal10

DIY_guy, did you heat the metal as per the instructions for Froglube? I wonder how much difference it makes especially on the friction, and corrosion tests?
It would have to be done for all the products though to be fair. The heat will allow the products to penetrate deeper into the metal surface at least that's the theory for Froglube it may apply to the others as well. :)

Well executed test, look forward to more of them when and if you can afford time and resources.

OnTheFly

cal10 said:
DIY_guy, did you heat the metal as per the instructions for Froglube? I wonder how much difference it makes especially on the friction, and corrosion tests?
It would have to be done for all the products though to be fair. The heat will allow the products to penetrate deeper into the metal surface at least that's the theory for Froglube it may apply to the others as well.

Well executed test, look forward to more of them when and if you can afford time and resources.

I think a fair comparison would be to apply all of the products per their individual instructions. There may be some advantages (such as heating the metal) that may make the products perform better, but that is a burden of the manufacturer to determine. If their instructions don't recommend a particular process to apply the product, then it should be assumed that their instructions are using the optimal method.

So, for me at least, the question would be whether all the products were applied per the manufacturer's instructions.

Fly

pcxxxx42

Well, I used to use 3 In 1 oil, essentially sewing machine oil.

Then I found this stuff called EEZOX that when applied and wiped down doesn't feel oily at all after the carrier evaporates, claims to protect from rust, too.

Seems to be pretty good stuff. I just spent around $50 for a quart on Amazon.

A lifetime supply for a geezer.

Sewing machine oil? Sure. It works great.

I've also read about awesome results with automatic transmission fluid on semi autos.

mac