Resizing lubricant

W. C. Quantrill

I dont use a specific case lube.

I use cob media in my polisher and I use NuFinish car finish in it as a polish. When the cases come out of the media, they are coated with the poly car polish, and they run thru the dies like grain thru a goose. No dents, no problems. The NuFinish car polish is much cheaper than Cabelas or other polishes and gives a brilliant shine in a lot less time.

Sidetracked

I use RCBS goo lube mostly.
One Shot has worked well in some applications, but it's too damn expensive for the amount I reload.
Imperial sizing wax is great, but I don't like using it to resize. I use it mostly for case forming.

There have been others, over the years, but those 3 are the ones I keep around.

And pistols... bah... buy carbide dies. ;)

Nnobby45

And pistols... bah... buy carbide dies

Been using carbide dies for years. I was browsing through Brian Enos' site and saw his tip for lubing pistol cases with One Shot, even when using CARBIDE dies. It's made a big difference, and I wish I could bend over and boot myself in the a%* for not learning it earlier.

I use cob media in my polisher and I use NuFinish car finish in it as a polish. When the cases come out of the media, they are coated with the poly car polish, and they run thru the dies like grain thru a goose.....

Sounds like something I want to try. Does the NuFinish have to be wiped off afterwards? I just want to make sure it doesn't collect dirt or gum up the chamber after firing if left on there. Although, there are ways to wipe it off--I've heard that some place all the ammo in a towel and shake it around to remove it.

The One Shot does not gum things up and doesn't collect dirt and, as stated, doesn't need to be wiped off.

snuffy

There's been more reports of stuck cases,(in sizing dies), when using one-shot that with any other lube. I tried it, made a mess of my loading blocks, AND I nearly had a stuck case. If not for the fact that I was using a Bonanza co-ax, I WOULD have had a stuck case. Besides it's expensive!:mad:

That said, after many other trials, I've settled on RCBS case slick spray lube. It's just far easier to size any case in any situation than even the oft mentioned imperial.

W. C. Quantrill

It looks shiny, it feels dry and its slicker than who-dun-it. I have had no issues with it, it leaves a dry polymer finish on the cases. Think car wax. It does not collect dust after it is dry.

I used RCBS lube for years as well as Dillons. It all works. I had some shoulder denting problems with RCBS on the roller pad. Out here in BFE, you have to use whatever you can lay your hands on.

Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have loaded 38's & 44 mags with Lyman Carbide's....... never cleaned brass. If really dirty, I gave a quick rub w/light oiled rag. Did this for years, then quit shooting for 20 years.

Recently, got back into loading and shooting. Got a new Lyman vibrator w/walnut shells. An hour or two vibrating was good for me.

Also got new Dillon 550, read plenty before using the 550. Decided to try One Shot. First I did the loading block spray method as mentioned above, created a mess. No more of that!

New method, about 300 (or more) brass in a batch thru vibrator, then seperate with RCBS crank cage seperator. Place 150 or so (9mm) in a small ziplock bag. With the bag open, I spray about a 2 second blast then lay the bag over and hit the other side the same way, then a another quick shot into the center area. Zip it shut and flip the bag around in my hands to mix in the One Shot (stays wet with bag closed). Dump brass into side tray of Dillon. This works perfect for me. No mess! I reuse the same bag many times.
I found that not every piece has to be completly covered, as the die becomes coated it evens out to keep everything running smooth.

On occasion, would forget to spray a batch. About 5-6 rds later, the OS is worn from the carbide.......What a difference without the lube!
Never loaded necked brass or used any other source of lube, so no comment on that.
The OS reminds me alot of cooking oil, so if I should run out of OS I would try Pam cooking spray (with or without garlic) as backup. However, my can of OS will last me a long long time.

gunney 67

on bottle neck rifle cartridges the lower half of the case is where the lube needs to be to prevent stuck cartridges. most all work well if you lube there. It also prevents oil dents on the case shoulders. the inside of the case mouth needs lubed also to ease the expander ball and help minimize neck stretching which means more trimming. I also measure and trim after sizing to get an accurate reading on case length. they can grow a few thousandths during this process. don't know about cooking oil for lubing. I'd be leery of salt in it. that wouldn't be good for the dies.

CPTMurdoc30

No matter what they tell you on the tv or in magazines. WD-40 is not for use on anything dealing with a firearm period. Nothing nada. Some say it can ruin primers I say BS I got some on primers and they still fired after week of WD-40 being on them. WD-40 can ruin POWDER quick fast and in a hurry plus it s a penetrating oil so if any is left on the case it can and will squeeze down between the bullet and the case neck.

Stick to Hornady one shot ( I like Frankfort Arsenal brand better) or any of the sizing lubes out there. Imperial sizing wax is real good and a little goes a long way.

ForneyRider

I've used Lee lube and Hornady One Shot.

I got stuck cases in 7mm Remington Mag with the One Shot. So I use the Lee lube for that belted magnums.

aerod1

I have never had a stuck case using Lee lube. For all you old timers out there, Lee Resizing Lube is like Brylcream, a little dab will do ya'.:D

LHB1

WD-40 is designed for WATER DISPLACEMENT (hence WD in the name),
originally made to dry out electrical contacts. Also works pretty good for door locks. I do NOT recommend it for use anywhere on a revolver, pistol, rifle, or shotgun. There are much better products.

BigJimP

I use the Dillon spray lube. I put 200 - 300 cases in a ' box lid ' flat - spritz them - roll them around and shake them up / flatten them out again and spritz them again and let them dry. You don't need much / a bottle seems to last for at least 2 - 3 years...

Then I dump the cases into my case feeder after they dry for about 30 min for loading.