Resizing jacketed bullets, anything I should know?

HiBC

On heat treating early 1903's.
The legend I read told me it had to do with "New Management"

A new "Top Dog" showed up ,walked around, decided the windows were dingy.
He ordered the windows cleaned immediately.

That changed the ambient light, which wreaked havoc with the "calibrated eyeballs" of the Gentlemen watching the color of the steel in heat treat.
In the dark shop, it "looked right" at a lower temp. In the light shop,the temp was higher. Too hot!

Someone mentioned the P-17/P-14 as not having these problems. I'm not well informed about these. Memory(which may be wrong) tells me the P-14 was OK, but some of the P-17's were brittle. Eddystone comes to mind as the ones that may be brittle. Please do not consider that as fact. I suggest if you have a P-14/P-17 you are going to put your face behind and pull the trigger,do a little research. Many of them are good. Some series,not good.
I do not have a copy of "Hatchers Notebook" Its probaby been 40 years since I read it, As I recall it goes into this stuff.

HiBC

The Krag shoots the superior rimmed cartridge and does not have unsupported case web hanging out in the breeze like the 1903. Also at lower pressure.

This is a friendly response.not an attack.

Seems like I heard Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders with their 30-40 Krags ran into 7x57 Mausers on that San Juan Hill thing.
The Model what? 1898 ? Krag was replaced by the 1903 after 5 years. The 1903/ 1903A3 served into WW2. 40 + years. The M1Garand did have some advantages.

I have a Krag and I really like it. I think,its beautiful (in its own way) and the action is "slick". The 30-40 will work fine at least as far away as I can use iron sights with confidence. I won't scope my Krag. I think about that old steel and single locking lug.I just do not want a bolt blown through my cheekbone. So,I don't push for 2300,or 2400 fps. I throttle back.Its a fine cast bullet gun.

But The Springfield is pretty special, as is the 30-06. Cone breech/Unsupported case head? It works.It doesn't bother me. I like the cone breech M-70 Winchester,too.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

True, the Krag Jorgensen is a wonderful piece of design and manufacture but it was militarily obsolete the day it arrived in the USA. It might have been OK in Scandinavia before Mannlicher and Mauser packet loading and stripper clip loading got established, but Army Ordnance should have known better by 1892 and surely by 1898.

Heck, we could have had the home grown Remington Lee with box magazine readily adaptable to clip loading.

But my point was that we don't hear of demolished Krags like we do 1903s because of their design and ammo.