Report on Return of LCP from Ruger. * reassembly warning*

Don P

For some of us as Ruger states in not so many words mentally challenged why not paint the muzzle end or opposite end of the spring and state what painted end goes where?

wingman

Honestly I find many manuals on various products poorly written in some cases it best to research the internet for tips. I have a Taurus TCP and the assembly instructions are poor however found the solution on various boards and from that point a snap to reassemble .Who knows perhaps instructions are outsourced to China would not suprise me.

Magyar

Anyway, sorry I bought one. Trigger pull is horrible, and I defy anyone to hit a man-sized target at 20 feet, consistantly. This may be the only gun I've ever owned i'm going to sell!
+ 1 A real POS IMHO, a terrible solution to a non-existent problem...:(

Eghad

I find my LCP to be a well built little pocket pistol not a POS.

I put my target out to 15 yards and every shot was a hit in palm sized groups. Not one single failure. Yes the trigger pull is not the greatest in the world but it is also something that can be overcome with practice and getting used to it. You have to develop a feel for the trigger. Once you master that you have a handy little firearm.

stickhauler

Mine had a few issues with stovepiping until it had around a hundred rounds through it, since, no problems. Yes, the trigger pull is a little weird, but that's kind of par for the course with a little BUG at that price point. As for it's ability to hit a man sized target consistently at 20 feet, if you shoot to kill a bad guy that's 20 feet away from you, you're probably going to get to know a large man named "Bubba" who's not really gay, but just has "needs."

It's a .380 caliber handgun. It ain't a long range firearm. It's purpose is to take on a target at close range. It's a great back up gun, or in the event that your full sized carry gun isn't an option, to provide at least a minimum of protection. Mine is not the most fun gun to shoot, but it serves it's purpose quite well. And the SR-9 C has become my regular carry gun, it's slim, it's relatively light to carry, and you can conceal it very easily. And she's a tack driver of a shooter.

Eghad

So what if the guy is 20 feet away from you with a big knife or a gun walking towards you are you going to let him get to 5 feet before you protect yourself?

With the regular sights I was able to put palm to hand sized groups center of mass after learning the trigger at 45 feet with my LCP. With a Crimson Trace for the LCP it should make things better.

Last edited:

stickhauler

If a guy with a knife is at 20 feet, if you're paying any attention at all, you should well be able to bring a defense weapon into play before he stabs you. I offer only my opinion, if you shoot someone that's 20 feet away from you, there are many legal system challenges awaiting you.

I actually have seen the efforts of a company down in I believe South Carolina that reworks the slide and installs a notched rear sight and a Trijicon night sight for the front for around $150.00 for a LCP. I'm sure the Crimson Trace sights work well also.

James K

Member In Memoriam
That inner spring seems to have a flared end to make it easier to install the front end in the slide. If it didn't, the inner spring could get into the small hole and prevent re-assembly. But it does appear that if installed with the wide coil to the rear, the coil can interfere with the way the spring sits in the frame notch, and that might be enough to cause a problem. Ruger should rewrite their re-assembly instructions.

Jim

dgludwig

If a guy with a knife is at 20 feet, if you're paying any attention at all, you should well be able to bring a defense weapon into play before he stabs you. I offer only my opinion, if you shoot someone that's 20 feet away from you, there are many legal system challenges awaiting you.

The potential assailant armed with a knife at a distance of twenty feet scenario poses a dilemma indeed. Factored into the justifiable self-defense equation should be the acknowledged le data that a person twenty feet away can close the distance in two seconds or less. That short span of time doesn't allow much time to "bring a defensive weapon into play before he stabs you." Your failure to act quickly and decisively might result in funeral arrangement challenges for your family instead of courtroom procedures.

Like so many self-defense predicaments, there are no easy answers. All the more reason to practice avoidance strategies (situational awareness, steering clear of high crime areas whenever possible and choosing flight over fight if feasible) whenever possible.

stingrayc6

Rgarding Recoil Spring

On semi autos the recoil spring is ALWAYS installed with the smaller end over the guide rod no matter what make it is, If the spring size varies from one side to the other. Just remember " Right is Tight ".

MonsterB

I laugh when people say the LCP isnt accurate...its you, not the gun...I have 160 or so rounds through mine and I can shoot 4" groups with it at 7 yards all day long...this little gun is as accurate as you are, and so far mine has been 100% reliable

rptrower

Here are full page diagram & parts list.

Attachments

• lcprev38.jpg
    lcprev38.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 39
  • PARTS.JPG
    PARTS.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 30

gglass

DaveBob
Nonsense
I vote BS. I had the same problem, and I returned it to them without dissambly. Same answer. I suspect someone there is not assembling them properly. Anyway, sorry I bought one. Trigger pull is horrible, and I defy anyone to hit a man-sized target at 20 feet, consistantly. This may be the only gun I've ever owned i'm going to sell!

I vote BS on your assessment of a fine self-defense tool. I can only assume that your poor shooting skills would give you the false impression that an LCP cannot be an accurate firearm. You may want to head over to pistol-training.com and speak to Todd G. about how he demonstrates plate shots at 75-yards with an LCP.

ACE25

Great advice, my LCP stove piped after cleaning… inspected and found I assembled spring backwards, changed it and gun works great.

What’s interesting is I followed Ruger's LCP cleaning instructions video from Ruger's web site which indicates the spring can be assembled either way. Check out their video here… http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html
then click on [LCP], then click [Cleaning], slightly past 3/4 way through the video he mentions the spring can be assembled either way…. Wrong.