Remington R1

buckey

With a $75 rebate on Remington 1911s are they worth the money? Kinda would like a Commander in stainless but don't have a clue if their 1911's can be depended on. Already have a Les Baer so the big $$$ area is covered.

Ibmikey

Among my 1911’s are blue and stainless R1’s that are great shooters and quite accurate. I have had no problems with either and plan on a commander purchase soon.

zincwarrior

Remington is putting employees on extended leaves. You are buying something from an entity that is having significant problems exiting bankruptcy. Think hard on that.

Last edited:

Jim567

My 5" has shocked me with it's accuracy and reliability.
I have owned several Colts and Springfield Armory 1911's. I was prepared to be disappointed. I was not!

lamarw

I bought my Plain Jane R1 on December 28, 2011. It has been and still is a reliable and accurate pistol.

The basic R1 is almost identical to my Colt M1911 manufactured in 1918 except for the markings. This include lacking the "United States Government Property" makings like my Colt and my Remington Rand M1911A1.

buckey

Wow, So how do you guy's really feel about Remington R1s, just kidding, may have to spend a little money on a new 1911.

BBarn

I like mine very much. I'd say it compares very favorably with other 1911s in it's price range. A very good choice unless you don't want the Series 80 type firing pin block.

zincwarrior

I had heard good things about them pre-financial problems. I would be leery of any purchase from them until all that is settled and their workforce is not staring down the barrel of layoffs.

PKY

I'm currently trying to decide between an R1 Carry and a Springfield Mil Spec for my dad for father's day. The price decrease across the Remington line has me worried. The Carry is more than half the original price. It sucks b/c he is all nostalgic about the Remington brand. I keep trying to tell him they aren't the same company. I wish I could find a Ruger Commander for a decent price.

FLJim

I bought a "used," but unfired R1 Enhanced a couple months back. I'm delighted with it. Fit, finish and functionality are as good as any firearm I've ever owned. It may well be my best shooter in any caliber:

IMG_0952-15pct.JPG

That's at least a couple mags-full, at 25-30 feet, free-hand, not making any particular effort.

One of the two mags that came with the pistol was reluctant to feed the first round out of a full mag, at first. After letting that mag sit full for a week, as the other mag had already, the problem went away. The two Wilson 8-round mags I bought for it worked flawlessly. (I broke those in, as well.)

It was reluctant to digest some of the JHP I fed it, at first, but seems to be doing better, now. Remington 185 gr. Golden Saber always fed flawlessly.

Armybrat

Bankruptcy? Colt just went through bankruptcy several years ago and laid off a lot of workers not long after that. Just like they have a number of times since 1842.
They are still cranking out good 1911s. So is Remington, albeit a lower price product.
I wouldn’t be skeered to buy another one, even the little RM380 which gets a lot of praise from actual owners.

Lohman446

Its a 1911. Is there any proprietary part in there that matters? If they went out of business tomorrow you could still, presumably, buy parts for them from any number of other 1911 vendors correct?

mr bolo

I would buy the Remington R1 M1911 , I got to handle one and noticed how nice the fit & finish and overall quality was, very impressive for a basic M1911 style pistol

much better than those RIA mfg in the Philippines, I make sure to stay away from those.

zincwarrior

Bankruptcy? Colt just went through bankruptcy several years ago and laid off a lot of workers not long after that. Just like they have a number of times since 1842.
They are still cranking out good 1911s. So is Remington, albeit a lower price product.
I wouldn’t be skeered to buy another one, even the little RM380 which gets a lot of praise from actual owners.
If you were my age, when growing up "Colt" and "good" were not two words used in the same sentence. :) You had to gunsmith it just to make it reliable enough to work.