Remington R1 Enhanced Problems and Issues With Their Customer Service

Minorcan

I purchased the pistol new and out of the box it started having jams. Some double feeds with the spent cartridge on top of the next unfired round, some stovepipes, some failure to load the next round from the magazine, etc. When I would remove the mag both would fall free out of the bottom of the grip. When I brought it home I noticed that the ejector was loose to the point of falling out (with the pin still in the pistol). The pin was too short. I called Remington Customer Service and they sent a new ejector and pin. I installed them and went back to the range. It helped but I was still having numerous jams. I estimate about 20-25%. I tried Wilson and Remington mags, no difference. I also tried different weight (115, 124 and 147gr) and brands of ammo, no hollow points, all ball ammo. The pistol had about 600 rounds through it and is not the least bit enjoyable. I haven’t had a new pistol perform so poorly, ever!

I noticed that the pistol came with a flat wire recoil spring. I tried a normal spring but no difference. I reinstalled the flat wire recoil spring. I thought that the 9mm 1911s didn’t come with a flat wire spring?

After another range visit and cleaning I checked the extractor tension using an empty 9mm case. The extractor doesn’t even try to grip the case. Something major is wrong with this pistol. I asked for Customer Service to return the pistol and to please fix it and return it fully 100% functional. They said they had mixed up the 9mm and 45 acp extractors and that was probably the issue. They said that they would send me another extractor. I took out the old extractor and compared it to the new one, they looked and measured the same but I installed it. No difference still jamming. They sent me another with the same result.

After the last round of jams and failure to extract, eject, fire, etc., I called Remington Customer Service but instead they sent a new extractor for me to install and test. The new extractor hook looks different (deeper) but the length looks shorter. The new extractor was installed and it still would not pass the extractor test either. There should be zero space between the back of a case held by the extractor and the face of the J-cut. The new extractor still has at least 60 thousands of an inch space between the back of the case and the face of the j-cut on the slide. I went to the range again and experienced an average of two or three failures per magazine. I fired 250 rounds of 115g 9mm and experience at least 60 failures to cycle properly. Failure types were all different kinds.

I have spent my time and money on four range visits and 1,000 rounds of ammo. This equates to an additional $350 dollars of added costs for a pistol that consistently malfunctions because of the issues at the Remington plant plant. If any competent gunsmith looked at the extractor and ejector they should have seen these things. Also they obviously never did an extractor test which takes all of 30 seconds or they would have seen these issues.

I finally saw on this forum that others with the 9mm were having the same issues. They recommended the Wilson Combat extractor which I ordered and installed (another $35.00). The gun ran pretty good and I shot 120 rounds without issue. On round 121 the gun would not go into battery. It was about 1/8" from going in. The hammer was back, I gave the back of the slide a slight tap and the gun fired. The barrel was down range and no one was injured but it sat me back and rattled me a bit! My finger was outside the trigger guard and not touching the trigger in any way. This was my first unintentional negligent discharge I have ever had and I'm 61 years old and have been shooting since I was eight.

You may ask why didn't I send it back. The return policy at Remington is they will only pick up and return to my home and they expect me to take a day off from work so the shipper can pick up my pistol and then take another day off to sign for it when I get it returned. Also CS informed me that Remington can't repair their 1911s at their plant or facilities, they wanted me to ship it to an independent third part gunsmith. Seems unreasonable.

I'm at a loss. At this point I don't want to trade it and have someone else get a dangerous gun. I've spent way more than the gun is worth and I'm not taking two days off from work to satisfy Remington Customer Service. Could be a parts gun? Bummer!

Now for those of you that think I'm just a Remington basher, I was a real Remington fan and have had may Remingtons over the years, I still have some of their shotguns. I was looking forward to getting another but after the recent issues with Marlin, the R51, Para and now this I can't say that I'll ever be a Remington fan again.

PS - I originally wanted the pistol as a competition gun but since I couldn't get it cycle I bought a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. The gun ran at the first match straight from the box and ran flawlessly! and its accurate as can be. I'm very happy with the Range Officer.

mdauben

Thanks for sharing your story. This just reinforces my determination never to buy anything from Remington.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

TunnelRat

You may ask why didn't I send it back. The return policy at Remington is they will only pick up and return to my home and they expect me to take a day off from work so the shipper can pick up my pistol and then take another day off to sign for it when I get it returned. Also CS informed me that Remington can't repair their 1911s at their plant or facilities, they wanted me to ship it to an independent third part gunsmith. Seems unreasonable.

This kind of blows my mind. So they weren't going to service the pistol themselves, but instead have it shipped to a third party? Do you happen to know the name of the third party?

Ride Madone

Remington is not the same company since they were purchased by Freedom Group. I will buy their ammo when it is on sale, but that is about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RL26

The long, slow downward spiral of what was once one of the best firearms manufacturers on earth. Good luck with your pistol, I hope they get it straightened out to your satisfaction.

Minorcan

This kind of blows my mind. So they weren't going to service the pistol themselves, but instead have it shipped to a third party? Do you happen to know the name of the third party?

Williams Gun Sight & Outfitters in Davison, Mi is the ship to address. I looked them up on the internet and they look like a standard LGS in Davison, MI.

This makes no sense to me at all. How will Remington monitor the diagnosis and repair. What if I need a new gun. Seems like a way for Remington to skirt the poor craftsmanship and warrantee of their R1 9mm pistols. Even if I sent it in How would I have confidence in the repair? Not worth wasting two days of vacation just to find out. The gun is unsafe and not usable.

TunnelRat

Not worth wasting two days of vacation just to find out. The gun is unsafe and not usable.

There's no way you can drop it off directly to the shipping service? I get needing to be there when it arrives, but I as a private citizen can go to a FedEx or UPS and ship a firearm assuming I follow all the laws and abide by their corporate policies.

While I get not wanting to deal with it, I wouldn't be willing to let this go simply because Remington shouldn't get out of having to pay to fix this.

Eazyeach

Remington =shotguns
I'd rather have a Taurus pistol than a Remington pistol. Ugh I can't believe I just typed that.

Sorry to hear your new gun doesn't work. That stinks. Definitely don't give up, make those sobs fix it. Good luck.

Eazyeach

I understand that, tunnel rat. I just got an 870 express HD shotgun and it is waaaay worse quality than my older 870 wingmaster. The wingmaster is really nice.

ammo.crafter

Remy

I did not realize things have gone so far down with Remington.

I still have my first centerfire rifle, a Remington model 600 (,222) and still shoot it; an excellent rifle.

So sad to hear so many problems.

Minorcan

TunnelRat
There's no way you can drop it off directly to the shipping service? I get needing to be there when it arrives, but I as a private citizen can go to a FedEx or UPS and ship a firearm assuming I follow all the laws and abide by their corporate policies.

While I get not wanting to deal with it, I wouldn't be willing to let this go simply because Remington shouldn't get out of having to pay to fix this.

The issue is not with the post office or UPS but with Remington. It is their policy or they will not pay shipping. I would have to pay shipping both ways plus the FFL fees if any. Remember, I'm already in the cost of the pistol and $350 in ammo and range fees not to mention my time.

TunnelRat

Remember, I'm already in the cost of the pistol and $350 in ammo and range fees not to mention my time.

I hear you. When it comes to a firearm though shooting it is what you have to do to test it. Also hopefully you at least got some practice out of that shooting.

I know you're in it for money now, but I can't see walking away myself. Your call.

Ibmikey

I understand the OP's frustration but i would have made some arrangement to send the pistol to the warranty station with a complete disclosure of problems as written here. For a bunch of responses to give derogatory opinion of the company helps the OP not at all in his quest to make the pistol operate correctly.
Perhaps a letter ( certified) to Remington Customer Service with this information will bring about a solution.
The fact that my two R1's, R51 and RM .380 function just fine does not help the OP but I am reporting on actual firearms not personal dislike of a company as some of the bashers choose.

TunnelRat

but i would have made some arrangement to send the pistol to the warranty station with a complete disclosure of problems as written here.

From the OP's own description he asked to do that fairly early on, but Remington kept sending parts to try to fix the issue instead. Now apparently he can send it in but he has to be there for pickup and delivery which is hard on his schedule. Then there's the weird part about the firearm not actually being shipped back to Remington as they can't fix their 1911s. I've never heard of a manufacturer selling a pistol with their name on it that they supposedly make, not just license, that they themselves can't fix. I still can't get over that.

For a bunch of responses to give derogatory opinion of the company helps the OP not at all in his quest to make the pistol operate correctly.

I don't really see how it hurts his efforts either, tbh.

but I am reporting on actual firearms not personal dislike of a company as some of the bashers choose.

Some of us do have personal experience as well.

I'll be one of the first to say that in the firearms industry there are as many haters as fanboys and certainly at times the criticism goes overboard. In the case of Remington, sadly, there have been a number of documented issues from both YouTube reviewers and people on the forums. Is some of this overstated? Likely, but certainly not all of it.

I think Remington is facing some QC issues judging by the reports. They're not the first company to face such problems, but this is still an industry where word of mouth has incredible power. It takes decades to build a reputation and it can be ruined quickly. I hope Remington realizes this and does what they can to remedy the issues.

Last edited:

Minorcan

I understand the OP's frustration but i would have made some arrangement to send the pistol to the warranty station with a complete disclosure of problems as written here. For a bunch of responses to give derogatory opinion of the company helps the OP not at all in his quest to make the pistol operate correctly.
Perhaps a letter ( certified) to Remington Customer Service with this information will bring about a solution.
The fact that my two R1's, R51 and RM .380 function just fine does not help the OP but I am reporting on actual firearms not personal dislike of a company as some of the bashers choose.

Ibikey your thoughts are appreciated. I did write a letter with pictures of jams, measurements, failure descriptions, etc. I also sent them the extractor Test information and that there was at least 60 thousandths of an inch space between the rear of the cartridge and the breach face. Also the issues are with the 9mm 1911s and lots of others are having the same issues with them. I actually was a Remington fan and have several of their shotguns that are decades old and still great shooters. The issue is the new Remington problems are made by them but are not being resolved by them. At this point, I felt I should post so others looking for a quality 9mm 1911 don't make the same mistake I did. Also, its a 1911 and they have been made for well over a hundred years and the spec are well known. Other companies can make nice shooting 9mm 1911s, this should be easy for a company with 150 years experience making firearms.

I'm curious about the statement that there should be zero space between the case head and the breech face with held by the extractor. I've been shooting the 1911 since I was on my unit's marksmanship team in the Army in the late 1960s and I don't think I have ever seen a 1911 that would meet that criterion. In fact, I just dragged out a custom-built 9mm Commander (a gift from a very generous friend who knew I couldn't afford it) that I have had for close to 10 years and that has been 100% reliable. I can't measure the gap, but with a case held in the slide by the extractor, there is very clearly daylight visible between the case head and the breechface.

1911 don't headspace on the extractor. (They can, but that's not how they were designed.) So zero headspace is not a criterion for diagnosing the extractor. Extractor tension is the criterion. I would propose to the OP that this is a time to invest in a set of extractor tension gauges from Brownells in order to be able to quantify the tension. I know you can just slip a loaded round in there and shake the slide as a rough test, but with more than one 1911 I prefer real numbers so I can tune all the guns to run the same. The gauges aren't expensive:

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=weigand+extractor+tension+gauge&ksubmit=y

Shown on the same page is the extractor tension adjusting tool. That's not absolutely necessary -- the tension can be adjusted by inserting the extractor into the rear of the slide backwards, and bending the arm in or out -- but the tool does a much more precise job of it.

The last area to be addressed is that the tension may be correct but the depth of engagement of the extractor hook may be insufficient. The "pad" just aft of the extractor hook may need to be filed/ground down to adjust the depth of engagement. I have only had to do that on one pistol, ever -- and it happened to be a 9mm.

Rekladan

A very loose firing pin stop would explain both events (erratic feeding and your AD): the extractor(s) may be clocking, resulting in erratic feeding. And the firing pin stop may have managed to slide down under recoil, temporarily trapping your firing pin forward and firing the gun as you bumped the slide, before snapping back in place.

You've changed extractors already, so... how tightly fit is that firing pin stop?

TunnelRat said:
I know you're in it for money now, but I can't see walking away myself. Your call.
Indeed, a personal call. As Kenny Rogers said,

"You've gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away,
Know when to run ..."