Remington Model 870 Poll:

Which Remington Model 870?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lefteye

I only have five 870s; I inherited two. I shoot left handed because I am left eye dominant, but all of my 870s are right handed. I have left handed safeties on a couple of them. I have a home defense model with the long magazine and put a youth butt stock on it because I am small. I have a rifled barrel model with the cantilever scope mount and have taken deer at more than 100 yards with it. While I still have a Winchester 1897 (one of two I inherited), it stays in the safe. If I was starting over I'd buy a Wingmaster (and then an Express.)

kozak6

I do love an Ithaca...

There have been some police surplus Wingmasters and Police Magnums on the market lately. If you want a defense gun, it's hard to do much better.

Virginian

That's ridicules. The older Wingmasters had steel safety's, steel magazine followers, machined steel extractors. All that been replaced with plastic and MIM.
I guess ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. The mag followers went to plastic in the early 70s. I have had 6 of those and zero issues. The reason they went away from steel followers is because they were battering the receiver retaining ring. I have not seen a Wingmaster that did not have a steel safety. The part number for the safety button on 870s and 1100s has been unchanged for over 50 years, they list only one, and it is steel. I have seen three Wingmasters from a few years ago with MIM extractors, but I looked at a new one last week that had the forged extractor.

Last edited: