• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bake

Which one would you choose?

1. Wingmaster: worth a little extra?

2. Express: save a couple of bucks?

Last edited:

Virginian

I had an Express. Killed two geese with the first two shots the morning after I bought it, and it never missed a beat. Alas, I found sitting in the blind looking at the matte metal and bleah wood unrewarding, so got another Wingmaster.

New Wingmasters are pretty sorry examples these days---definitely not worth the $700 asking price---if you want wood and blued, the BPS is much better for less money.

I have 2 camo-ed Supermag Express'-----$367 each from Walmart----the camo finish solves the rust issue on the matte finished Express'----excellent value for the money.

Bake

New Wingmasters are pretty sorry examples these days---definitely not worth the $700 asking price---if you want wood and blued, the BPS is much better for less money.

I have 2 camo-ed Supermag Express'-----$367 each from Walmart----the camo finish solves the rust issue on the matte finished Express'----excellent value for the money.

Maybe next time I'll do a poll involving when ( '60's, '70's, & Etc.) the 870 was built.

Bake

had an Express. Killed two geese with the first two shots the morning after I bought it, and it never missed a beat. Alas, I found sitting in the blind looking at the matte metal and bleah wood unrewarding, so got another Wingmaster

Even though, I am not a hunter, I understand your feelings. At my age, I have come to the conclusion, that "Life is to short, to shoot an ugly gun!".

T. O'Heir

A Wingmaster, a Police Magnum(big time marketing term. Just like 'tactical'.) and an Express are the same thing with different finishes and stock materials.

AL45

Just bought a 30 year old Wingmaster for 250.00. Looks great and shoots great. Looking forward to bird season.

Bake

Option 3: Police Magnum. That was my choice. Much better than an Express, not flashy like the Wingmaster

Police Magnum wasn't listed on the Remington webpage.There is an express magnum, and an express combo magnum, and a bright marine magnum. I also didn't list the 870 American Classic, at over $1200, I really didn't think it was necessary.

Virginian

More internet misinformation. The new Wingmasters are as good as any ever made, the only thing different is the style. And if you look at gun prices it is not out of line.

jmr40

Pumps have always been intended as lower priced, dependable options for shooters and hunters. Those wanting a little more "style" have always preferred doubles. Those who wanted performance have drifted toward semi's.

Despite the internet noise I have no issues with the Express in a pump action. It does the job at a bargain price. For the asking price on a new Wingmaster I can buy a semi and I'm not that far behind a decent double. They simply aren't worth the price to me.

I've been an 870 fanboy for a while, but Browning and Benelli are building better pump shotguns today. The synthetic stocked, matte finished Nova is priced about the same as the Express and a walnut stocked, polished blue BPS is $100-$150 less than a Wingmaster. Either is a better gun.

SARuger

I only shoot 20g and I prefer the old "X" models(20g on 12g frame). I have 2

I also have an express that goes bang just fine

All together I have three 870, one 1100 and one 11-87 and all are great shotguns

You really can't go wrong with a Remington in my opinion

upstate81

First off im a big remington fan especially silver spoon 870 wingmasters. If you look at prices for top end semis and doubles its obvious that the more expensive pumps are priced as they should be. Furthermore, a thousand dollar semi or 1500 dollar double is not even remotely close to upper end guns and im not even including what target guns go for.

Look at the new Ithaca 37s thats a 900 dollar pump right there although its more or a niche gun. The browning bps are nice guns and my sister and father each have one (a 20 and a .410) while nice, they are cumbersome. Parts, stocks, and chokes all cost more as well. Just to blatantly say the are better because you can save a C note is wrong.

The bps is not nearly finished as well as the 870. Stocks aren't as glossy and metal isnt as dark blue. As a matter of fact the bps comes in satin not even gloss. Both guns with 28 in. barrels, the 870 is only 10 counces less, however you can get the 870 with a 25 in. barrel that is 1 pound and 10 ounces less (6lbs) To each is own. Id be very happy to own both.

Virginian

I had 3 BPSs that never missed a beat, and I think are as well designed and built as any pump gun ever, but I could never grow to love that bottom loading. Never loved the 37 for that reason, and they just never felt "right" to me, either.
Other than a Montefeltro 20 and a 28 gauge Ultralight I have yet to meet a Benelli I liked.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

Express. Only because that is what I bougt for my purpose. HD, tactical, tacticool, range toy, whatever! 18", 7 shot, synthetic stock (which I replaced with an adjustable AR style stock anyway).
Didn't want, or need high gloss bluing, beautiful wood, juts matte black, short, sweet, and lots of boom!:)

greyeyezz

Do yourself a favor and pick up an older used Express or Wingmaster. There's only 10 million out there.

The new Wingmasters are as good as any ever made, the only thing different is the style.

That's ridicules. The older Wingmasters had steel safety's, steel magazine followers, machined steel extractors. All that been replaced with plastic and MIM.

BigJimP

We all have different things we like about various guns ...pumps..and others...

But for a pump gun...I'll take a BPS Hunter model all day long ( new or older versions ) against any 870 ever made, even the old Wingmasters. But I am not that crazy about today's satin finished stocks.

Personally I like the bottom ejection and loading...but it may partly be due to the fact that I've been shooting BPS pumps for at least 25 yrs - in fact for a long time, the BPS 12ga in a 28" barrel was my only shotgun for field and targets. I've shot a lot of 870's as well...just never warmed up to Remington in general ....but to each his own.

FITASC

Of the two choices, I would take the Wingmaster - just better made than the Express. The Express is the lower price point gun made to compete with the Mossberg and all of the cheap imports; therefore corners were cut even moreso than the Wingmasters of today.

The Big D

I wasn't impressed with any of the 870 offerings (express or wingmaster) last time I looked. I ended up with an Ithaca model 37.