Remington Long Range Rifle

DAVID NANCARROW

home.jpg.html

Since my 308 heavy barrel is running out of rifling after many years of shooting, I decided to get something to replace it while it goes off to the smith for an action true and new barrel. The accuracy is still there, but I have to set the overall length to 2.9 in order to get good groups and that won't fit in the magazine box.

I sort of had my heart set on another 308, but the LGS had a Remington Long Range rifle in 30-06 for a good price so I bought it along with 100 winchester factory loads so I could warm it up and save the brass to reload. I put a Vortex 6x24 HS scope with some Leupold rings and bases I had here-they are going to be replaced with EGW parts as soon as they arrive, but I wasn't going to wait around to see what the rifle was like!

I really like the factory stock, a Bell & Carlson M40, aluminum bedding block with a raised comb which fits me well. The top front of the comb is slightly notched in order to clear the bolt for disassembly. Once I got it sighted in, I tried for some groups and try as I might, could not get it much less than 1 MOA. I suppose some of that is due to it being a new rifle and some of it is due to the infamous Mark X trigger it came with.

I guess that X trigger is a hit or miss. Some people I have spoken to say they like it and some cannot stand it. I tried dialing the pull weight down with the adjustable screw, but could not get it down past 4.1 pounds average. Actually, 4.1 was the low end according to my pull gauge. It ranged up to 5.3 at the same setting so I decided to buy a Timney on some folks recommendation and I have to say I am happy that I took their advice.

I watched a few videos some people had made about swapping the trigger, including a fella that hit his hand with a hammer trying to drive out one of the pins! And some folks telling me that sometimes minor mods to the stock are necessary-had my files out and was prepared for it, but it wasn't required.

The Timney 510 I purchased went in without a hitch. Drove the front pin left to right until it cleared the trigger housing, and the back pin right to left until it would turn loose of the housing but kept the bolt stop lever and spring captive. This trigger is so much smoother than the factory model that there is not much of a comparison between the two. I left it at the factory setting and my trigger pull gauge averaged just a bit under 3 pounds pull weight, clean and consistent. The trigger itself is a lot wider than the factory unit and is grooved where the Mark X is smooth. I like that.
I know its no Jewell trigger, but it will certainly do for me.

I took the now fired brass and loaded some H4831 behind some Nosler 175 grain Competition bullets sized to 3.330 OAL. According to my gauge, I hit the rifling at 3.341 using the same bullet and hope to get it back to the range later this week to see what it likes. 10 rounds each from 58 to 62 grains of powder, or book min to max load.

cw308

Good luck with your new rifle 30 06 is a nice round. I also started out with a stock Remington 700 LTR 308 cal when the time came to change the barrel 4000+ rounds . Had it blueprinted installed a Rock Creek M24 5R 11.27 twist 21" barrel. Just love shooting it. The next barrel change I may go for the 6.5 Creedmoor. A trigger change was the way to go, I installed the Jewell set at 10 Oz's once you get use to it, it feels very natural until someone else fires it. Always get the same response, Wow that's a light trigger. It's easier to get tight groups with a good trigger. Are your stocks bedded?

DAVID NANCARROW

For right now, neither stock is properly bedded per se. Both of the stocks have the full length aluminum block which, as I understand it, can benefit from bedding to remove any irregularities.

I have been toying with the idea of setting up the 308 with a full on 30 inch barrel with 5R rifling but of course its all going to depend on the money.

Whichever caliber/barrel length I choose, I know that a straight action, properly bedded is just as important as the barrel.

That Jewell trigger has me salivating! I know the Timney is a step down, but is a very serviceable product. I will be moving to Wyoming soon and really need every advantage that I can get for those long shots in the wind. My youngest son lives in the SW part of the state, and there is ALWAYS wind to contend with.

I know there are smaller calibers which buck the wind better than what I can load in the 308, but I am still attached to that cartridge-shoots reasonably flat, is not a barrel burner, and easy to load for. One thing is for certain, I won't be asking for a long throated barrel like what came with the rifle originally!

cw308

Dave, I also have a timney trigger on a 1903 Springfield and it's just as good as the Jewell. Here on Long Island , New York distance is 200 yards, someday I hope to shoot real distance. Good luck with your rifle & your move. Chris

DAVID NANCARROW

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts, Chris. You know when you are in Wyoming because when you walk into the first convenience store, next to the fried pork rinds there sits brass, bullets, primers and gunpowder!

Road_Clam

Good luck with the new stick ! I too love Nosler CC's I've loaded and shot a ton of them in different calibers and weights. All perform equally as well as SMK's with my amateur trigger finger. I have two R700's and love them. Very modular and easy to accessorize to suit your individual needs and likes !

hartcreek

You might have to play with some other powders too. I have been using H414 in my 1955 721 in 30-06 and around here 4831 is more scarce.

reinert

Hey David,

I had to laugh reading a reloading article not too long ago, and they referred to IMR 4350 as "OGP." Wondering what the acronym meant, a little further on in the article it was revealed; "Old Guy Powder." LOVED THAT! I consider myself kind of an old guy (64), and really, in my three '06's, I found long ago that "OGP"-4350 is all I need for good loads in my rifles. I also have a Ruger M77 in 6MM Rem., and that's all I use in that rifle, too.

Give it a try FIRST! It may be all you need, as I've found. When the pinch was on for reloading components a while back (maybe it still is in some areas) IMR 4350 was never on the shelf when others were, and I figure that was quite a testimony as to either how popular that powder still is, or, maybe there's a lot of old guys hoarding the good stuff. Ha! Either way, I don't believe you can go wrong starting and even staying with that powder in your new '06. I just got a great M700 ADL that looks absolutely mint, and by my research it was made in 1968. Next week I'm taking it to the range after I make up some starter rounds for it, and yup, IMR 4350 will be the propellant. BTW, that new/old Remmy is a 30-06. Ha!

Though I haven't had the need to try it, 4064 would probably be my next powder choice to try out. An old work buddy of mine used it in his '06 with the same "OGP" results as the 4350 was/is for me. Whatever you try out first in your loads for your new rifle, I know you'll have fun with that new gun. Might have been Jeff Cooper who said, "There ain't a whole lot that a man can't fix, with 700 dollars and a 30-06!"

Happy Thanksgiving, and good shooting!

reinert

brasscollector

This is exactly the reason I love this forum. I never noticed it before (tunnel vision I'm sure) but my 9th edition Hornady manual lists IMR 4350 for both the 30-06 and 25-06. A quick check at my local reloading supply store website shows they have 1lb canisters and 8lb jugs! I will have to fancy me a trip either tomorrow or Saturday and try some out.

cw308

IMR 4064 I've been using in my 308 for years, it's a stick powder, even with a medium load it will fill the case to the base of the bullet. I shoot benchrest only.

reinert

David,

A really good load that works well for me in the '06 is this:

fire formed, cleaned and then partial sized cases (check trim length).

CCI 200 LR primers.

56 grns. of IMR (a.k.a "OGP") 4350.

180 grn. Hornady S.P.B.T.

Seat this bullet to your rifle's preferred C.O.A.L.

This a great hunting load that I use for elk.

reinert

Road_Clam

A few of my fav go to medium burn powders for 308 is 4064 , W748 , 4895 , 2000MR. 4350 I have not experimented with much as it seems to be at the very slow end of the 308 powder burn range which suggests a good match for the heavy 175+ gr bullets. I like 4350 ideally for 196 gr bullets in my K98 8mm mauser. Most all the 308 powders can pull double duty in -06 as well. Good luck, I like handloading experimentation just as much as shooting !

DAVID NANCARROW

I would like to find a powder to do double duty on my 06 as well as my 308 IF it will give me good accuracy in both.

My go to powder for 308 Win is Reloder 15 and has been for many years. Its a touch slow for short barreled rifles but since mine wears a 26 inch tube, I like the velocity and accuracy I get from it. I have also had good luck with 4064 and W748 as well as BLC-2, but I am not a fan of ball powders for accuracy.

I've loaded up some test loads with RL-15 under a 168 SMK to see if they will work in the 06, along with some 4831 long grain with 175 grain noslers. I will have to try a pound of that 4350 just to see the difference however. My LGS stocks it in 1 and 8 pound cans regularly, so if I like it, I know that I have a steady supply.

If all goes well, I will be testing them later this morning. I had hoped to get to the range at sun up, but the boss's Long Range rifle is to be in this morning so have to pick it up. She is chomping at the bit to get hers set up and running-her scope and rings are already here and I have the tools laid out to get it done quickly.

As always, momma comes first!

tobnpr

Since my 308 heavy barrel is running out of rifling after many years of shooting, I decided to get something to replace it while it goes off to the smith for an action true and new barrel. The accuracy is still there, but I have to set the overall length to 2.9 in order to get good groups and that won't fit in the magazine box.

What magazine will you be using that will accommodate a 2.9 oal?

Need to make a change from the AI's currently being used for the same reason. I know there are a few being made that will go to about 2.992...

emcon5

brasscollector said:
This is exactly the reason I love this forum. I never noticed it before (tunnel vision I'm sure) but my 9th edition Hornady manual lists IMR 4350 for both the 30-06 and 25-06. A quick check at my local reloading supply store website shows they have 1lb canisters and 8lb jugs! I will have to fancy me a trip either tomorrow or Saturday and try some out.

IMR4350 is my go-to powder for .30-06 and 6.5-06, works very well. Unfortunately it is too slow to use for .30-06 in a M1 Garand.

For .308 and similar sized cases (.308, .243, 6.5X55, 8x57, 7.62x54R) I am a big fan of IMR 4064