Remington 7mm SAUM now the darling of benchrest?

ramptester

Check out the link below. While everyone has been focusing on the 6.5-284, the 7mm class has been growing steadily. One of the champion benchrest guys seems to think that the Remington version is the best of the bunch. Too bad Remington has decided not to chamber it. It may be catching on just as they are dropping it.

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html#7SAUM

Big-Foot

It's a good un, arguably the all-time most versatile SA cartridge. I work with a guy that shoots it in a 700 Mountain Rifle and I'm seriously thinking of finding an old Ti version that should weigh 6 lb scoped.

Net capacity is about the same as a 280 AI, very effecient.

It can be loaded down to 2700 fps with the 120s (V-MAX, Ballistic Tip, TTSX)with 36.5 gr of 4759 and perform and recoil like a 7mm Waters even in a 6lb rifle. Nimble, lightweight *****cat that kills really well.

Load the heavies or copper bullets and take elk with ease both near and far. You might want a good recoil pad for this one though.

Tack on a bi-pod for weight, load the 162 A-MAX to 2800-2900 and kill deer, lopes etc. at ranges about three times further that I normally shoot. Waayyy long range.

Last edited:

Jimro

All of the 7mm magnums are serious long range options. Heck even the old 284 Winchester is making a comeback.

Jimro

jpwilly

IMO The 6.5mm to 7mm are the sweet spot for long range work. It comes down to having long bullets with high ballistic coefficients and enough muzzle velocity to keep the bullets supersonic downrange. The nice thing about the 6.5 to 7mm is the reduced recoil from shooting big 140-160gr bullets vs 175 and 190grSMK's in the 30's. But with a heavy target rifle even that doesn't matter to some. Advantage to the 30 cal if you are trying to kill something due to the increased energy at long range.

jac673

My Ruger 77II in 7SAUM seems to be a good shooter. My first group after free floating the barrel and bedding the action had all three shots touching(photo attached) at 100yrds. The load I was using was nothing special - just used to fireform the new cases to the chamber.

IMG_0739[1].jpg