Remington 770 .30-06 good deal?

Patriot86

I wandered into Dicks sporting goods this afternoon looking for some new boots and I stumbled over into their small firarms section. I am not typically one to buy guns in "big box" store but this deal seems to be pretty damn hard to beat.

Now to the crux of the issue, they had a Remington 770 in .30-06 including a Bushnell scope for $319.00

I do not know much about Remington rifles or Bushnell scopes so I was crossing my fingers that you guys could answer a few questions for me.
If the Bushnell scope is garbage that is no problem, I have always been a fan of Leupold scopes myself.

#1 Is this a good deal? "Starting price" on Remingtons sight is about $100.00 more, and I have seen similar rifles WITHOUT scope starting at just over $400.00 new at my LGS.
#2 What quality of scope is a Bushnell, if a Leupold or Nikon was a 10 where would Bushnell fall?
#3 What is your opinion/review of the Remington 770 rifle? It felt natural and weighty in the right areas in my grip, how does this weapon stack up reliability and durability wise?

Anything you would like to add or bring up about this weapon or scope would also be appreciated.

DiscoRacing

Nice quality rifle... I would like to get one in the Stainless Camo..

... On your grading system I would call the scope a 4...maybe 5

Im typically not one to spend 600 or 700 bucks on a scope tho...

...so you know I have no leupolds.

Patriot86

I like Leupold because it is mainly what I learned to shoot with. My fathers .22 and Springfield 30-06 both have Leupold scopes. I suppose trial and error is in order to see if i end up finding the scope tolerable.

So the $319.00 good deal?

Doyle

Nice quality rifle...
I've seen people call the 770 (and it's predicessor the 710) lots of things, but "quality" generally isn't one of them.

The scope isn't really worth anything. For that price there are several better choices including the Stevens 200, Savage Edge, and Marlin XR7. A "decent" scope starts out at about $150 and goes up from there.

ojibweindian

#1 Is this a good deal? "Starting price" on Remingtons sight is about $100.00 more, and I have seen similar rifles WITHOUT scope starting at just over $400.00 new at my LGS.

This is NOT a good deal. Many people hate this rifle MORE than the Remington 710, which is itself an unmitigated steaming pile of excrement. The barrel is pressed in, not threaded like anything halfway decent. The trigger is rough and heavy.

#2 What quality of scope is a Bushnell, if a Leupold or Nikon was a 10 where would Bushnell fall?

Just a bit above a Tasco, maybe. 1-10 scale? I'd rate it a 2. Won't track, not very clear, horrible eye relief. I wouldn't even put one on a 22.

#3 What is your opinion/review of the Remington 770 rifle? It felt natural and weighty in the right areas in my grip, how does this weapon stack up reliability and durability wise?

Again, you won't be able to replace the barrel, the trigger probably can't be replaced, plastic just about everywhere.

If you're looking for a budget rifle, you'd be better off with a Marlin XL7, used Savage, a Stevens 200, or a used Remington 700.

DiscoRacing

but "quality" generally isn't one of them
Hmm.... I guess I meant for that price...

... I mean its not a Howa(Which is what I have most of)

... I would call it a fair deal... As stated the scope really isnt much... but base and mounts would still be included...

.. Its not like buying a rifle for 500 or 600 then haveing to buy base, mounts, and scope.

fisherman66

I agree Doyle. The 770 may be serviceable. I can't think of any complements though. Cheap scopes are more worrisome for me. I sat on a Leupold for over 30 minutes waiting for dense fog down in a holler to clear for a clean shoot. Even with very long eye relief and sharp image I started to suffer fatigue. A crapper scope is going to magnify that problem.

Steven/Savage, Howa, Weatherby, Mossberg all have a value rifle that much better built. I won't comment on the Bushnell scope as they make some very good models and some blister pack wally world scopes too. I don't know what you have.

Patriot86

I failed to mention this rifle would be sort of a jack of all trades rifle.
I plan to use it primarily as a varmint rifle but would also double as a deer rifle.
I would had been thinking of springing for an AR-15 style rifle for the same purpose, but I am getting married this year so that would be a little more than i want to spend.

DiscoRacing

I just got a used 270 howa off Gunbroker for 340 bucks.

Point Is

.. you could probably find a better deal used... with a better scope already on it.

DiscoRacing

Fisherman66... dont know if you have them there or if you have looked into em... but the new Konus Scopes are pretty good...

... to say that they are clear and bright

... I have three of them now...

...and one has been on my howa 30-06 for three years now..and still is holding zero

included pic for ya

100_2820.jpg

Shoes

Buy a 770 and you'll regret it for as long as you own it. Spend the $150.00 and go with the 700. Trust me.... I'm a manager of a firearms department and without question the 770 is the most commonly "complained about" gun we sell.

Shoes

CK_32

IMO dont touch a 770.

Go rem 700 and dont regret it. The 770 is the retarded little brother of the 700 that Remington should have aborted a long time ago.

jmr40

The 770 is not a bargain at any price. For about the same money look at Howa, Weatherby Vanguard, Stevens 200, or Marlin XL-7. Any of these are 10X better guns for about the same money or less.

fisherman66

Fisherman66... dont know if you have them there or if you have looked into em... but the new Konus Scopes are pretty good...

My problem with most scopes is eye-relief. As a hunter and infrequent range fly I need to be comfortable in field positions. Leupold has always done well with eye-relief. My little Banner has over 4" of ER (muzzle/shotgun 1-4 power).

bassfishindoc

Run away!!! Fast!!! I have personal experience with these rifles and can tell you that they are trash. Spend a little more and get a Remington 700 or Savage 10/110 that will last for generations. If you are looking for a bargain rifle you can usually find a quality used in gun-stores or on gunbroker.com, especially now that deer season is at a close. If you must have new the Savage Edge/Axis is a good bargain for a rifle that is heads and shoulders above the 770.

natman

Hey what's the difference between the 710 and the 770?

60. :D

Any other difference is academic, because they are both steaming piles of junk that anyone should avoid owning.

+1 for Marlin XS7, Savage Axis, Howa 1500. Much better rifles at similar prices.