Remington "700"

nate45

J. said:
So, tell me what can you do to a 700 that you cannot do to any other bolt action rifle?
:confused: I give up what ?

McMillian and others make fiberglass stocks for the Browning, Lazzeroni, Mauser, Remington, Ruger, Sako, Savage, Winchester, Weatherby, etc Wood stocks are easily inleted to fit them as well.

I believe Krieger, Hart, Shilen, Douglas, etc barrels all thread on the above brand actions as well.

Triggers, dose not Timney, Jewell, etc make triggers for almost every brand as well?

Scope, mounts, bipods, slings, and anything else I can think of are all available for other action brands.

If there is something custom you can do to a 700 action that can't be done to a host of others, I don't know what it might be.

Scorch

j.chappell-
The Remington 700 is indeed the Ford Taurus of the gun world. They generally work pretty good right out of the box. For the Average Joe, a Remington 700 will be as close as he will ever get to a custom rifle, so he will be tickled to death to have a rifle that shoots as well as it does. And most folks want "what works good enough" without any fuss.

Like you, I am a Ruger fan, but I usually advise people who are looking for an out-of-the-box shooter to go with a Remington just because I know it will very likely shoot better than they do and they will be ecstatic over the results they will get. Can I build a better shooting rifle? Yes, definitely, but it will set me back a few hundred more than an off-the-shelf Remington 700. And in building that better rifle, I would very likely start with either a Ruger 77 or a Mauser action.

Picher

I've owned a Savage and though it shot well after a new stock, it was never a handsome piece.

Next I bought a Remington 700 in .22-250 and that was IT! There was no reason to look elsewhere. The Remingtons I've owned (4) have all behaved like I wished and all would be bedded and shoot under 1/2 minute, some much better. The stocks fit, the action is great, the triggers, until the one purchased about 7 years ago, fantastic!

The Remington stocks have a way of reducing felt recoil. That's worth a lot. Plus, they fit me wonderfully and make for quick shooting with a scope!

Though I've handled hundreds of Winchesters, Rugers, and other makes, nothing works as well for me as Remington. Besides, after you own one of a make and are happy with it, why switch and have diffrent safety locations, etc.?

I have a bedded Saco 95 in .223, and while it shoots 3/8 min. groups and has a great trigger, I'd trade even for a Remington in the same caliber.

Picher