Remington 700 stock

Jerry45

CharlieDeltaJuliet, thanks for the complement. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. That's a 8-32 x 56 with the MOA redical.

Jerry45

Rumpelhardt, a word of warning. If you put your rifle in a B & C stock and put a NightForce on it you'll ending up wanting to do it to all your rifles and you'll have to hock the wife and kids. :eek: I now have 3 rifles in B & C stocks and 4 scoped with NifghtForce. If I don't stop I'm going to have to go on welfare. :D

byronick87

hi guys,

im new to the firing line and this is literally my first post.

this is just my experience:

i bought a 700 sps varmint with 26" from bass pro this past May and I loved the feel of it.

initially, even with factory premium ammo, i could not get it to group under 10" @175 yrds - painful

after doing a bedding job, and buying a reloading die for it, it tightened up a little bit to around 6" at 175 yrds but thats still terrible - especially for handloads.

i then went all out at figured that if i ruin the stock, i can just have an excuse to buy a nice BC or HS precision.

I bought a 5' long aluminum I beam from RONA for ~15$, a two part epoxy enough for 10 bedding jobs for another $15.

after removing all the internal plastic reinforcement inside the stock and channeling out the forend for the barrell contour, i put the aluminum bars in the forend of the stock and literally FILLED it to the top with epoxy.

i then proceeded to fully bed the action to about 1" in front of the lug nut.

verdict

a fully free floated r 700 sps varmint

i took it to the range the next day and i shot sub moa at 100yrds all day - no matter what load i had for it.

i rang a metal plate out at 380 yards shot after shot until my ammunition ran out.

its hard to find any reloading components in canada right now for some reason so i didnt have much selection on powder.
after a few weeks of trial and error, i found my 700 liked speer 168 gr HPBT backed by right on the dot 41 gr of AA2230 and cci 200 primers winchester or federal brass never did much of a difference.

end of the day, if the load mentioned above consistently rings the gong at 380 yrds, im happy and for $45 (15 for the epoxy, 15 for the aluminum re-bar, and 15 for the 6 pack) and a solid saturday evening, I found myself an awesome target/tactical rifle for a deal!!!

hope this post helps anyone looking to improve their groupings ( and their love for this slowly dieing brand)

-B

Yeah that's true about the Tupperware...lol. I previously tried bedding material and like Rumplehardt found it separated. A good friend of mine told me to buy hobby two stage epoxy. It worked like a charm. Let it dry, tape it off paint it black and it looks factory. But the down side is it added 6 ounces of weight to the stock. My stress test was to have my brother 250lbs (muscular guy) lean into it and ended up breaking the bipod stud before the stock touched the barrel. So I had to epoxy it back in too...lol.

Sierra280

It's really just personal preference.

I shot this group at 100yds (attached photo), with my 700 sps-v 26" 308. Using the FACTORY stock and the cheapest factory ammo I could find (PMC Bronze, 147gr NATO FMJ). This was the first box of ammo the rifle had down it.

I still changed the stock because I'm a tall guy, 6'5" with long arms. The length of pull was too short and the comb too low for a good cheek weld. But I certainly wasn't unhappy with the factory stocks performance.

Edit--I realize 5 shots is a group, this is just a few shots. But, I was just having fun and trying to get some lead down my new smoke pole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ripnbst

It sucks that all these stock companies basically ignore the ADL action. I want to retain it for the weight savings so I don't want to convert to BDL, I know it can be done easily and all things considered relatively cheaply.

I am considering contacting B&C and see if they'd be interested in doing a M40 in ADL for me. I don't know how hard that would be.

Picher

I have my sporter-barreled Rem 700, Stainless in a take-off HS Precision Sendero Stock that I found in a used stock barrel at Kittery Trading Post. It cost me $60 and is about the best bargain I've ever found there. They had another the next year, but wanted $150 for it.