Remington 597 VTR Handguard and Stock

Technosavant

Wow, I had no idea that threaded pipe even came out of the receiver block... that's why I was having a hard time understanding.

If you can't get it separated, you may need the entire receiver block.

goodspeed(TPF)

You may want to gently heat the NUT a bit to help it expand some. Keep in mind the "threaded pipe" will also warm up as well being that the two are connected right now. Have a small dish ready with some ice water in it to "quench" the "threaded pipe" in order to cool it a bit right before trying to loosen it again. This might help you just enough to break it free. -Goodspeed

Drucifer

Finally!
What a MFPITA!

Thanks.

Next up, I've got a Volquartsen hammer and extractor.
Any tips for installing those? :D

Really like this rifle.

Attachments

• 100_4672.jpg
    100_4672.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 100_4673.jpg
    100_4673.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 391

Drucifer

Vise and massive Channel Locks with leather belts.
For some reason they put thread locker on the forend of the piece but not on the receiver end.
Damaged the threads a bit but they cleaned up.
Threaded the dirty end into the foregrip and the clean threads into the receiver.
Feels great!

tAKticool

Very very nice.... I am jealous! I did a lot of my early gunshopping at Dick's. .. Not ashamed because I got some good stuff that I like much at good prices. But not those tactical versions of the 597, my Dicks had the green synthetic stocked scoped version for like 199.99 which I snapped up. Few months later bought a S&W M&P 15-22 and while I was filling out the paperwork someone was looking at Remington 597 VTRs and I had no idea, much heavier than 15-22 cause of the metal/vs plastic, but that was real nice cause the 15-22 w/o anything is really light .. Again very nice bro

Technosavant

So which fore end is that? Looks pretty good.

Looks like Drucifer used a YHM Diamond Series. It does look quite nice on there.

I do wish Remington would make a receiver rail that would mount at the handguard height for a continuous rail from front to back. Somebody now makes a handguard for the VTR that puts the top rail at the same height as the one on the receiver, but I'd rather be able to just swap out the receiver rail and use whatever handguard I like.

Drucifer

It is indeed the YHM.
I also installed the Volq extractor and hammer along with a surefire and CAA side mount bipod. Getting heavy but handles perfectly.
Probably gonna need to rebarrel next year as I plan on putting thousands of rounds through this thing.
It's just so much fun.

Browning2695

threads on the foregrip

Hey Gents, are the threads on that foregrip standard thread or are they lefthanded? I've had some serious trouble getting mine off and wasn't sure if it was just because of the locktight on the threads or maybe it was lefthand threads. Someone suggested they might be lefties

Technosavant

They're standard. Exactly what you'd find on the upper receiver of an AR-15. A regular AR barrel nut threads right on with no problems.

TrevorF

Can't get my handguard off.

I think they soaked it in Loctite. I'm ready to put it in a vice and try a strap wrench. I'm affraid though that the threded part that is screwed into the front of the receiver will come out instead of the tube coming off the barrel nut.

Have you all had to heat yours or did any of the tubes come off by hand?

Thanks,
Trevor