Remington 597 vs Ruger 10/22

Excoastie

I found a 10/22 at a pawn shop yesterday that looked like it was in excellent shape, and it already had a Simmons scope mounted on it. They're asking $219 out the door. I suspect it's a bit more than it's actually worth, but not so far outside the realm that I can't live with that price.

I realize that the Simmons isn't he best of scopes, but I think for my purposes (at least for now) it should do the trick, as I'm only planning on plinking out to about 50 yrds or so.

I'm gonna go back and talk to them this morning, perhaps even pick it up. If I can make a deal with them, pics will follow

Exco

Targa

I have a Simmons on my Marlin 60 and will never need anything more, it does what it was designed to do.

Excoastie

I picked up the 10/22 this morning. It's already got a Simmons 3-9X40 scope mounted, and after shooting it a bit, I think the scope will function well for my needs.

I don't think the person who pawned it had ever cleaned it. I spent the better part of an hour cleaning it, and getting all of the gunk out of it. At one point I was digging crap out with a plastic pick and having it come out in chunks.

It also took a bit of doing to get the three pins out, especially the bolt retention pin. I had to let them soak for a bit, then knock 'em out with a significant amount of force.

I just returned from the range. I've never been all that great with a rifle, but I did get all 120 or so rounds within the 8 ring at 25 yrds

Exco

bassJAM1

Nice Ruger! After reading your original post I was going to say forget the Remington and get either the Ruger or a Marlin 60, and it looks like you ended up with both.

I know you have a new rifle to play with, but don't give up on the Marlin! As long as the bore isn't rusted they're typically a tad more accurate than 10/22's are. I have both, and doubt I'll ever get rid of either.

Excoastie

don't give up on the Marlin! As long as the bore isn't rusted they're typically a tad more accurate than 10/22's are

I brought the Marlin to another gunsmith this morning. He took a look at it, and he told me that it would probably cost more money to fix than it was worth.
He said to do the ejection port/ feed ramp conversion alone would be almost $100 parts and labor, and he pointed out a few other items that needed attention.

If I hadn't just gotten a steal of a deal on the 10/22, I may have gone ahead and gotten it fixed, but with the new rifle, I don't think so.

I have friend that is a budding amateur gunsmith. I think that I'll give the Marlin to him to play with, and see what he comes up with. It gives him something to do, and perhaps it'll breathe new life into an old rifle.

Exco

Pahoo

Good idea !!!

I have friend that is a budding amateur gunsmith. I think that I'll give the Marlin to him to play with, and see what he comes up with. It gives him something to do, and perhaps it'll breathe new life into an old rifle.

That's a great idea as I hate to see "any" firearm go to the landfill. When I have a firearm that is of no use, I give it to my parts guy and he salvages any parts that can be use. He always treats me right on anything I need. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Hdonly

Well, I don't quite get it. You had the 60, but never fired it and decided to junk it and bought a used 10/22? I have a 10/22 and my buddy has a 60. Both shoot equally well and we take turns out shooting each other. Just me, but I sure would have taken the 60 to the range before deciding it was junk. Just me though.

Excoastie

Well, I don't quite get it. You had the 60, but never fired it and decided to junk it and bought a used 10/22?

The 60 had several issues, wouldn't feed from the magazine tube, ejection was not smooth, often hanging up, bolt return spring was toast, and at best was single shot.
I had several gunsmiths tell me that it probably wouldn't be worth the money to repair/ replace what was ailing the 60.

I also have a friend who's a budding smith, who said he would see what he could do with it. Perhaps he'll be able to get it in working order, perhaps not. Time will tell.

I bought the Ruger, so that I had a rifle that I could plink with. I picked it up at what I considered to be a decent price, and it does the job that I bought it to do.

Exco

Hdonly

10/22 is a great rifle. Probably my favorite to shoot. Mine will tear the bullseye out at 35 yards. I have seen rifles that wouldn't cycle snap caps that would shoot live ammo just fine. I have seen it the other way around though too. Guns can be funny things. Enjoy the Ruger.

attachment.php

Buckeye!

I really like my 10/22 also ..... I looked hard at the Marlin Model 60.. which I have had great experiences with in tbe past ..
But the Compact 10/22 won me over 16 inch barrel and shorter stock .. Perfect camp gun..