Remington 1911 R1 Review

napg19

NICE. Anyone know if a after market ambi safety lever can be put on (a quality one) ? This deserves some serious thought.

AZAK

Anyone know much about the build quality/process/materials?

Are we talking forged? MIM parts? Bar stock? Plastic? (MSH?) What about tool marks (what does it look like taken down?) How is lock up and slide to frame, is it throated, etc...

I have done a little searching on the net (just a quick 10 minutes kind of deal) and have not found much concerning build. If someone has done a better job of research, I would love to hear the results.

I did find this (lots of pics):
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275331

AZAK

Of course it's a forgery, it's not a Colt.

My 1911s are all Colts; I have several. Still toying with a possible Wilson Combat or Brown in the future, but at the moment am still incredibly happy with my Colts.

However, Remington was around much nearer to the beginning than many:

"The first Remington-UMC produced 1911 pistols were delivered in August of 1918. On November 11, 1918, the Armistice ending WWI was signed and the contract from the Ordnance Department with Remington-UMC was suspended. In all, Remington-UMC produced 21,677 1911s."

After looking at the innards of the R1, and the fact that I use Colt as the standard, and would only consider Colt or better (Oh, no, I said it... a Colt can possibly be improved upon... shame, shame, shame!) I personally am going to pass on Remington's new offering.

Is it just me, or is there just too little frame surrounding the thumb safety on the R1?

DPris

Member Emeritus
Judging from some excellent close-up photos on two other forums, it appears the frame is cast, the hammer is cast, the grip safety is cast, and the sear & disconnector are MIMs.
Also on that pistol many toolmarks & a rough feedramp.
Denis

Auto426

The frame and slide are machined, not cast

Just because they are machined, does not mean they are forged steel. Both cast and forged steel slides and frames have to be machined to turn them into functional parts for a gun.

Remington has not released a detailed breakdown of their gun and the materials/processes used for each and every part. My guess is that they probably won't release one anytime soon.

Seeing the price point on these, and the fact that they are made in the U.S., I'd say that it's highly likely they use cast frames/slides and a good deal of MIM for the internals. However, that's not as bad as it sounds. Properly made MIM should hold up just fine, and there's nothing wrong with properly made cast frame and slides either.

KyJim

Properly made MIM should hold up just fine, and there's nothing wrong with properly made cast frame and slides either.
I agree about a good cast frame. I disagree about the slide. It needs to be forged, IMHO. As far as MIM internal parts are concerned, I can live with certain MIM parts, depending upon what they are. I would replace a MIM slidestop in a gun to be used for serious purpose, for example, because it's a high stress piece. If it's strictly a range gun, I wouldn't bother.

Sturmgewehre

Just curious as to how you measured the trigger pull weight? Do you really consider a 3.5 lb trigger pull HEAVY?
No kidding, 3.5lbs is a light trigger. If you go below 3lbs you're that's way too light for anything other than match work. I don't know many gunsmiths that would recommend a trigger pull of less than 3lbs for a defensive arm.

If it were 5lbs I would say it's heavy. At 3.5lbs (if he actually measured it) it's in the match trigger range of pull weight.

Sarge

I'd consider a 3.5 pound trigger, on a 1911, in the 'target pistol only' category as well- at least for my uses.

Cast frames don't bother me unless the gun is intended to be converted to something well beyond 45 ACP +P.

treefarmernc

Sturmgewehre

You can tell by looking at the frame it's cast, it's the first thing I noticed.

I'm not a fan of the roll marks, they don't fit. If they would get rid of the unsightly markings and make it a little better looking, it would be a nice pistol... but then there's the price. For the money I would get a Mil-Spec Springer. With a cast frame I don't know why the pistol isn't more competitively priced.

Crazy Carl

Local shop here in NC has them advertised for $575.00.

I'm not much of a 1911 guy, but I have to admit I'm tempted..........

Mace? Want me to bring the Dan Wessons out on Sunday, to help make up your mind? ;)